Overclocking without hyperhtreading and speedstep

gazandwiz

Just ordered an overclocked pc, saves me messing about doing it, and saw on the order specs the following|:
OverClocked Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-875K (2.93GHz @ max 3.80GHz)

OC Settings
CPU RATIO: 24
BCLK FREQ: 160
DRAM: auto
UCLK: auto
CPU VOL: 1.45
QPI/DRAM: auto
DRAM BUS: 1.65
HYPER THREADING: DISABLED
SPEEDSTEP: Disabled

Why would hyperthreading be disabled? Doesn't that act as a virtual core(s)

Cheers

Gaz

Gishank

Bright Spark
Virtual cores? No. It merely allows the processor to have two threads per core. So not really a virtual core in my opinion. It's probs disabled due to the processor being unstable with it on when overclocked.

Gorman

Author Level
Hyperthreading and speedstep are disabled on some overclocks as it those features cause a lot of heat.

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
Yeah unless you pick a really well cooled case (like one of the HAF's) or a high end watercooler (Eco 240) hyperthreading will be disabled to reach a high clockspeed.

Gorman

Author Level
Hmmm

its more of a case that when we offer 3.8 on some CPU' thats more than a third increase in the clock speed. The case cooling doesnt really come into it with the I7's many Northbridge features were moved onto the CPU.

Unless there is a freezone elite or a full custom water loop then with some CPU's you have to choose, higher clocks or features, for games higher clocks is usually the way to go.

Last edited:

Grinder

Enthusiast
With ht disabled wont that make the chip slower and the oc is too much for the silicon?

Maybe better to lower the oc until the chip is more stable with all its features.

Also without the speed step will the chip use much more power even when not playing games?

Last edited:

Len

AI OVERCLOCK TUNER: MANUAL
CPU RATIO: 19.0
AMD TURBO CORE/HT LINK: DISABLED
CPU BUS FREQ: 200
PCIE FREQ: 100
DRAM FREQ: 1333
CPU VOLTAGE: 1.4000
COOL N QUIET: DISABLED
C1E SUPPORT: DISABLED

are the settings in place for my OC but I've changed my mobo amoung other things so maybe its different now?

Item 1
Change to PCS MAELSTROM T900 BLACK GAMING CASE from ANTEC NINE HUNDRED TWO - UK, The Ultimate Gaming Case, Evolved
Item 2
Change to ASUS® CROSSHAIR IV FORMULA: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0Gb/s, R.O GAMERS from ASUS® M4N98TD EVO: DDR3, 2-Way SLI, SATA 3.0GB/s
Item 3
Change to 1GB AMD RADEON™ HD 6870 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11, Eyefinity 4 Capable from 1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX465 GDDR5 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11 + MAFIA II
Item 4
Change to CORSAIR 750W TX SERIES (TX750) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU (£88) from CORSAIR 650W TX SERIES (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET PSU (£76)

Gorman

Author Level
With ht disabled wont that make the chip slower and the oc is too much for the silicon?

Maybe better to lower the oc until the chip is more stable with all its features.

Also without the speed step will the chip use much more power even when not playing games?

The amount of power used will be constant, Overclocks allow for higher core speeds, features are a secondary concern for most applications.

Len

Gorman since you ignored me I guess it doesn't change due to what hardware etc you order? because my mobo's review apperntly has some more features for OC'ing..

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
Len - I don't think Gorman intentionally ignored you, he may have missed your post. The OC settings will remain the same. Don't worry, we will setup your OC correctly. :)

Gorman

Author Level
Gorman since you ignored me I guess it doesn't change due to what hardware etc you order? because my mobo's review apperntly has some more features for OC'ing..

Now thats not very nice.

I seem to have missed that post.

Each overclock in each machine with each board and each individual CPU is different, even if the CPU and board are the same. Overclocking is a complex and difficult hobby for PC enthusiasts, if you are not experienced in overclocking i would contact our call centre for any settings to try.

These will be a starting point where you can then go on to increase the clocks slowly, testing for stability inbetween increases.

The settings given on the order pages are a guide, there is no definative "correct" settings for a CPU or board. The profile saved to the BIOS of each overclocked machine has most likely been tweaked somewhat to suit that individual machine.

Len

I'm not sure if its worth Overclocking the 1090T now ive read the review of it as it overclocks it self when using 3 cores too, 3.6ghz so maybe I need to change my order?! any advice please

Len

yeh but things are disabled in order to overclock for 200mhz more clock speed phoenix

Phoenix

Prolific Poster
What "things" are you worried about losing? there's no hyperthreading in AMD CPU's and having turbo boost on at such high frequencies isn't stable.