Overclocking

SuperFuzz

Hello,

What exactly is overclocking and how do I know if I need it? I am going to build my own PC on this site, but when researching I see some prebuilt PC's elsewhere with CPU's that have 'overclocked' or 'overclocking ready' describing them. And some CPU's don't have that description at all. Similarly on this site I have the option to 'configure an overclocked PC' but I don't understand it.

So what is it? Do I need it? How do I build for it if I need it?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hello,

What exactly is overclocking and how do I know if I need it? I am going to build my own PC on this site, but when researching I see some prebuilt PC's elsewhere with CPU's that have 'overclocked' or 'overclocking ready' describing them. And some CPU's don't have that description at all. Similarly on this site I have the option to 'configure an overclocked PC' but I don't understand it.

So what is it? Do I need it? How do I build for it if I need it?
If you don't know what it is, then you don't need it :)

It's just unlocking further power from the processor, but it's only relevant to Intel platform which would rarely be the best choice anyway as AMD is generally far superior.

I would suggest if you're unsure what overclocking is, best to post your max budget, what you'll be using it for and what monitor you're pairing it with and we can advise on something suitable.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Probably best to get advice on the actual build as a whole. Friendly bunch on here who will help you out with a config tailored for you.

What is your budget? What monitor are you pairing the system with (model no). What are your uses?