overcolck phenom II (x6)

subzero

dont know if anyone here hhas attempted it, iv read that some people have tried but still doesnot amont anywhare to the i7 which is a shame, im going to try

i want to know what you have overclocked as i have done a few before, anyppl here with overclocked i7 id love to hear

=D

Gorman

Author Level
We overclock all-sorts for customers.

I personally have an I7 920 and will crank it upto 3.8 for Lans, had it upto 4.0 for giggles. Wouldnt like to keep it that high for any amount of time though.

Looks like some people have been having fun with the Phenom (x6) core cpu's.

An overclocker who goes by the name Luca managed to get his hands on an AMD T1090 Black Edition chip and nearly doubled the clockspeed. The part runs 3.2GHz at stock, but with some liquid nitrogen, an ASRock 890GX Extreme3 motherboard, and just 1GB of Kingston RAM, Luca managed to push the processor all the way to 6.29GHz.

Source:

PaulH

Bright Spark
Have tested one here to 4ghz stable very easily on a titan fenrir cooler, would advise 3.8 for everyday if you were to use it though.

Last edited:

Meds

Agreed, we sell the 1090T @ 3.8GHz in our overclocked PCs and will be testing the 1055T later this week. Once a stable set up has been reached, we will have this available to purchase.

PaulH

Bright Spark
Also worth noting that the 1055t can basically hit the same speeds as the 1090t however you have to clock via the FSB and not the multiplier, which can cause troubles dependant on the board i.e if it doesnt let you lock the PCIe and ram freq.

Much easier to have the 1090t and just pop the multiplier up :) with a bit of added cpu voltage on top, with AMD processors too if you increase the CPU/NB link to 2600 from 2000 you will see a massive increase in memory performance, have to up the voltage to around 1.3v on the cpu/nb however which in turn increases the heat :)

subzero

nice, i will overclock, what about the best type of cooling, thats cost effective, i dont have enought for a watercooling just yet as i just got my new pc from you,

PaulH

Bright Spark
A good HDT cooler is a must, something like the Titan Fenrir / Xigmatek dark knight, please please PLEASE do not do this without a better TIM (thermal compound) and cooler, last thing you want is your system running crazy hot :(

subzero

okays thnk, i have a system and cpu temp monitor so i can constanly track it, and i have silver sync thermal compund if thats good enough ? other than that ill look into those coolers

thanks

PaulH

Bright Spark
yea, please remember that with coretemp, it doesnt read the CPU temp properly, add 10-15oc ontop of what coretemp says :)

Gorman

Author Level
yea, please remember that with coretemp, it doesnt read the CPU temp properly, add 10-15oc ontop of what coretemp says :)

Cmon thats a bit misleading. Coretemp runs off tjmax or more to the point the distance to it.

So if a cpus tjmax temp is 100c for the sake of argument coretemp (and the mobo) calculate the difference, this can lead to fluctuations like PaulH says. The readings are only innacurate at the temps furthest away from tjmax. So idle temps can be out 10c no problem.

However using the mobo sensors through coretemp etc is extremely accurate at temps close to tjmax. The hotter it is the more accurate it is.

Gorman

Author Level
ok i will let you off this once

Core Temp lets you monitor Intel "Core Duo", "Core Solo", "Core 2 Duo", "Core 2 Solo", "Core 2 Quad", " Pentium", "Core i3", "Core i5", "Core i7", "Core i9", series, "Celeron" series (Conroe/Merom architecture and newer), "Xeon 3000/3200/5100/5300/5400/5500/5600/6500/7400/7500/7600" series (Woodcrest, Clovertown, Harpertown, Dunnington and Nehalem based architecture).
All AMD Phenom II, Athlon II, Phenom, Athlon, Opteron, Sempron, Turion II and Turion series series die temperature.
The temperature readings are very accurate as the data is collected from a Digital Thermal Sensor (or DTS) which is located in each individual processing core, near the hottest part. This sensor is digital, which means it doesn't rely on an external circuit located on the motherboard to report temperature, its value is stored in a special register in the processor so any software can access and read it. This eliminates any inaccuracy that can be caused by external motherboard circuits and sensors and then different types of programs trying to read those sensors.

AMD processors report the temperature via a special register in the CPU's northbridge. Core Temp reads the value from the register and uses a formula provided by AMD to calculate the current temperature.
The formula for the Athlon 64 series, early Opterons and Semprons (K8 architecture) is: 'Core Temp = Value - 49'.
For the newer generation of AMD processors like Phenom, Phenom II, newew Athlons, Semprons and Opterons (K10 architecture), and their derivatives, there is a differnt formula: 'CPU Temp* = Value / 8'.

The sensor in AMD CPUs can report temperatures between -49C and 206C.

*CPU Temp is because the Phenom\Opteron (K10) have only one sensor per package, meaning there is only one reading per processor.