Overheating issues

Paddy Baxter

Bronze Level Poster
Any help will be much appreciated. I've tried locking the clock on the GPU to the spec'd boost of 1380MHz. That's reduced the max temperature under heavy load to 70. Which is pretty much the minimum under heavy load too unless I turn on fan boost in game and turbo mode in Gaming Centre. With the boosted fan running and the GPU locked the temperatures come down to a pretty calm range of 60 to 62 degrees.

Watching the temperatures under normal load, however, the CPU is still going up to 50+, which seems hotter than it ought to be. It comes down by several degrees if I set a custom fan speed profile for Office mode in Gaming Centre, but that of course makes the fans quite a bit louder.
Thats a pretty great result. I’ve settled on 1470 MHz on a pretty low voltage that gets me 76-84 degrees while gaming (only hitting 84 under 99 percent load for an extended period) I reckon I can live with that.
Running the Red Dead 2 benchmark at max settings netted me 45 FPS average. Comparing this to notebookcheck on their MSI 2070 Super laptop with the i9 processor and it’s a 2 FPS difference. Another benchmark I seen on YouTube with the same MSI laptop in Rise of the tomb raider had the i9 laptop at 88 FPS average and my recoil on 89 FPS average. Just goes to show that those higher clock rates don’t necessarily translate to higher performance.

debiruman665

Enthusiast
Any help will be much appreciated. I've tried locking the clock on the GPU to the spec'd boost of 1380MHz. That's reduced the max temperature under heavy load to 70. Which is pretty much the minimum under heavy load too unless I turn on fan boost in game and turbo mode in Gaming Centre. With the boosted fan running and the GPU locked the temperatures come down to a pretty calm range of 60 to 62 degrees.

Watching the temperatures under normal load, however, the CPU is still going up to 50+, which seems hotter than it ought to be. It comes down by several degrees if I set a custom fan speed profile for Office mode in Gaming Centre, but that of course makes the fans quite a bit louder.

I've sent you a DM

CraigBarrett215

Bronze Level Poster
Thats a pretty great result. I’ve settled on 1470 MHz on a pretty low voltage that gets me 76-84 degrees while gaming (only hitting 84 under 99 percent load for an extended period) I reckon I can live with that.
Running the Red Dead 2 benchmark at max settings netted me 45 FPS average. Comparing this to notebookcheck on their MSI 2070 Super laptop with the i9 processor and it’s a 2 FPS difference. Another benchmark I seen on YouTube with the same MSI laptop in Rise of the tomb raider had the i9 laptop at 88 FPS average and my recoil on 89 FPS average. Just goes to show that those higher clock rates don’t necessarily translate to higher performance.

Yeah, I don't think I'll get it much below that. Ideally I don't want the temperatures sitting above 70 for any length of time for system longevity. I'd love it if I could get the general running temperatures down to no more than 40 when just doing mundane day-to-day stuff that uses minimal CPU, but that so far doesn't seem likely.

Paddy Baxter

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah, I don't think I'll get it much below that. Ideally I don't want the temperatures sitting above 70 for any length of time for system longevity. I'd love it if I could get the general running temperatures down to no more than 40 when just doing mundane day-to-day stuff that uses minimal CPU, but that so far doesn't seem likely.

Still sucks you're not getting the thermals you were hoping for but I've had at least 6 gaming laptops so I knew what to expect. The coolest laptop I ever had was the Acer Predator G9 593 with the 1060 and 6700HQ which kept my GPU around 70 degrees but it was an absolute UNIT. It was 15.6 inches but was bigger overall than any 17 inch laptop I had, and thick as a phonebook too... and about £500 more expensive than any PCS equivalent. The 2070 Super and 2080 Super Max Q are at the very top end of what to expect from chassis' this size, so these little machines are being pushed to the absolute limit.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Still sucks you're not getting the thermals you were hoping for but I've had at least 6 gaming laptops so I knew what to expect. The coolest laptop I ever had was the Acer Predator G9 593 with the 1060 and 6700HQ which kept my GPU around 70 degrees but it was an absolute UNIT. It was 15.6 inches but was bigger overall than any 17 inch laptop I had, and thick as a phonebook too... and about £500 more expensive than any PCS equivalent. The 2070 Super and 2080 Super Max Q are at the very top end of what to expect from chassis' this size, so these little machines are being pushed to the absolute limit.
It's part of this drive towards paper thin and ultra light.

My laptop is from 2014 and like your old Acer Predator, it's THICK and heavy... but, amazing at cooling.

I'd take a size compromise anyday for improved thermals which is why I would normally purchase a DTR over a laptop because they tend to have much better cooler setups.

CraigBarrett215

Bronze Level Poster
It's part of this drive towards paper thin and ultra light.

My laptop is from 2014 and like your old Acer Predator, it's THICK and heavy... but, amazing at cooling.

I'd take a size compromise anyday for improved thermals which is why I would normally purchase a DTR over a laptop because they tend to have much better cooler setups.

I'll be getting a desktop machine at some point in the not-too-distant future. Unfortunately I can't afford both right now and I need a laptop. One reason I chose the Recoil over the Vyper or Defiance was the extra 3mm depth and the hopes that would improve the thermals.

I did briefly consider getting a lighter-duty machine and getting an external GPU setup, but I don't know how easy that is to set up.

Hi All,

I'd like to jump in on this thread as I've also recently received a Recoil IV (2070 Super) with which I'm experiencing temperature issues. I've taken temperature readings as per the below whilst playing three different games and the CPU temps are uncomfortably high. The laptop fans are very loud and constant whilst playing games.

The laptop as on a cooling stand and the fans set in "gaming mode" when testing the three games. I tested Football Manager 2020 (temps taken mid match), Total War Three Kingdoms (temps taken during benchmark) and Mount and Blade Bannerlord (temps taken during custom battle). All temperature readings were reset following each test.

I'm not overly clued up when it comes to changing CPU Hz settings or similar advanced tweaks so any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• FM20 Mid Match.png
    FM20 Mid Match.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 247
  • M&B BL.png
    M&B BL.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 240
  • TW 3K Benchmark.png
    TW 3K Benchmark.png
    27.9 KB · Views: 249

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi All,

I'd like to jump in on this thread as I've also recently received a Recoil IV (2070 Super) with which I'm experiencing temperature issues. I've taken temperature readings as per the below whilst playing three different games and the CPU temps are uncomfortably high. The laptop fans are very loud and constant whilst playing games.

The laptop as on a cooling stand and the fans set in "gaming mode" when testing the three games. I tested Football Manager 2020 (temps taken mid match), Total War Three Kingdoms (temps taken during benchmark) and Mount and Blade Bannerlord (temps taken during custom battle). All temperature readings were reset following each test.

I'm not overly clued up when it comes to changing CPU Hz settings or similar advanced tweaks so any help or advice would be much appreciated.
There's nothing wrong with those temperatures, completely normal. You can apply an undervolt if you want to optimise them further, but those are completely within expected ranges.

CraigBarrett215

Bronze Level Poster
Hi All,

I had similar temperatures when playing BL3. I have a cooling stand, but I've yet to find one that does more than keep the bottom of the laptop at a reasonable temperature - no impact on internal temperatures.

I've locked the GPU to 1380MHz using MSI Afterburner and that has kept the temperatures to a max of pretty much 70, regardless of mode. The advantage the lock has is that I can turn on fan boost in Gaming Center and get the GPU down to the mid- to low-60s. But yeah, very noisy. In game and turbo mode with fan boost off the fans are still pretty loud and constant, but they don't pull the temperature below 69 or 70 degrees and I get the same temperature in office mode, so at the levels that game and turbo mode run the fans there doesn't seem to be a difference in outcome.

The disadvantage of the lock is that previously game and turbo mode hit about 90fps and office mode (which tops out at 1380MHz anyway) hit about 79 or 80fps. Still, I'm not even close to a high level gamer, so that's plenty for me.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I had similar temperatures when playing BL3. I have a cooling stand, but I've yet to find one that does more than keep the bottom of the laptop at a reasonable temperature - no impact on internal temperatures.

I've locked the GPU to 1380MHz using MSI Afterburner and that has kept the temperatures to a max of pretty much 70, regardless of mode. The advantage the lock has is that I can turn on fan boost in Gaming Center and get the GPU down to the mid- to low-60s. But yeah, very noisy. In game and turbo mode with fan boost off the fans are still pretty loud and constant, but they don't pull the temperature below 69 or 70 degrees and I get the same temperature in office mode, so at the levels that game and turbo mode run the fans there doesn't seem to be a difference in outcome.

The disadvantage of the lock is that previously game and turbo mode hit about 90fps and office mode (which tops out at 1380MHz anyway) hit about 79 or 80fps. Still, I'm not even close to a high level gamer, so that's plenty for me.
This is not a solution that should be acceptable to most people, this is sacrificing performance to reduce temps below where they need to be. If you’re nerfing performance to get temps manageable it’s because there’s an issue with the thermal setup which is either going to be windows configuration or a bad paste job. They need to be addressed before applying any undervolt or further optimisation otherwise you’re not addressing the root cause and just slapping a bandage on a broken leg.

@CraigBarrett215 I'm not saying this isn't acceptable for you, if you're not a huge gamer than perhaps the trade off is acceptable for your uses, I'm talking about for general gamers.

Last edited:
There's nothing wrong with those temperatures, completely normal. You can apply an undervolt if you want to optimise them further, but those are completely within expected ranges.

Hi Spyder,

I agree that the GPU temps are fine but I'm surprised that CPU temps of 90 degrees are considered normal?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi Spyder,

I agree that the GPU temps are fine but I'm surprised that CPU temps of 90 degrees are considered normal?
Completely normal, that's peak temperatures, not operating temps, so it's only sneaking up to those temps at sporadic intervals.

Intels run rediculously hot, to the point where on most systems, they will thermal throttle at 100c, they're not really fit for purpose imho. Intels response has been "they're designed to thermal throttle" which is basically marketting speak for "we know they don't operate as advertised".

Basically on almost any intel mobile chip, you have to apply an undervolt to optimise them, they're not like they used to be, just really poor processors.

Applying an undervolt should bring down those peak temps by around 5c which would get it to where you want it.

Last edited:
Completely normal, that's peak temperatures, not operating temps, so it's only sneaking up to those temps at sporadic intervals.

Intels run rediculously hot, to the point where on most systems, they will thermal throttle at 100c, they're not really fit for purpose imho. Intels response has been "they're designed to thermal throttle" which is basically marketting speak for "we know they don't operate as advertised".

Basically on almost any intel mobile chip, you have to apply an undervolt to optimise them, they're not like they used to be, just really poor processors.

Applying an undervolt should bring down those peak temps by around 5c which would get it to where you want it.

Thanks for the explanation. To be honest, I'm considering returning the unit. Generally, I casually game on the laptop whilst my partner is watching something on the TV and the fan noise is something which is bothering us both.

Perhaps it's better to wait for a comparable AMD laptop to be released?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Perhaps it's better to wait for a comparable AMD laptop to be released?
If the fan noise is that intrusive then it’s likely not going to be suitable for you unfortunately.

If it were me, I would definitely hold on for more AMD laptops, they beat the pants off intel now anyway in all performance metrics, plus, if it’s a decent chassis, run a lot cooler. There are some bad chassis AMD chassis out there with regards to thermals but that’s nothing to do with the CPU, it’s just poor design.

I am actually holding off upgrading my 2014 laptop at the moment awaiting more AMD choices. I won’t be choosing intel for a long time, not just because of their poor performance and thermals, but also because of the way they’ve intentionally misled customers and partners over the last few years to try to disguise their failings. Morally bankrupt.

debiruman665

Enthusiast
There is no such things as a powerful gaming laptop that also cools as good as a PC. If these parts could be cooled inside of a laptop then there would be no booming market with the variety we see of aftermarket cooling solutions.

If you want top of the range specs inside such a tight space the temperature numbers are going to go brrrrrrrrr. I honestly think that the argument for longevity of parts doesn't apply to laptops and we should just throw caution to the wind.

Spydertracks also has a point, ultra thin gaming laptops are absolutely horrible, my wife uses one and it's cannot functionally run for long periods of time without a cooling pad.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
There is no such things as a powerful gaming laptop that also cools as good as a PC. If these parts could be cooled inside of a laptop then there would be no booming market with the variety we see of aftermarket cooling solutions.

If you want top of the range specs inside such a tight space the temperature numbers are going to go brrrrrrrrr. I honestly think that the argument for longevity of parts doesn't apply to laptops and we should jus through caution to the wind.

Spydertracks also has a point, ultra thin gaming laptops are absolutely horrible, my wife uses one and it's cannot functionally run for long periods of time without a cooling pad.
Scotty: you cannot break the laws of physics captain!

CraigBarrett215

Bronze Level Poster
This is not a solution that should be acceptable to most people, this is sacrificing performance to reduce temps below where they need to be. If you’re nerfing performance to get temps manageable it’s because there’s an issue with the thermal setup which is either going to be windows configuration or a bad paste job. They need to be addressed before applying any undervolt or further optimisation otherwise you’re not addressing the root cause and just slapping a bandage on a broken leg.

@CraigBarrett215 I'm not saying this isn't acceptable for you, if you're not a huge gamer than perhaps the trade off is acceptable for your uses, I'm talking about for general gamers.

I'm not sure how it can be that higher temperatures are normal (as per your response to ESwindells) and not normal at the same time.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm not sure how it can be that higher temperatures are normal (as per your response to ESwindells) and not normal at the same time.
Normal is within normal operating temps, overheating is thermal throttling. If it's thermal throttling, then it's too hot. His isn't thermal throttling.