Partial refund?

nanotech1

Good day,

I recently placed an order for an overclocked PC for £1489.30 incl 2% credit surcharge and sub-orders. I just went and built the exact spec PC again and the price is now £1453.5 incl the 2% surcharge. Since my order is in pre-production would it be possible for you to refund the price decrease?

Spec I ordered:

Case
COOLERMASTER HAF 922 MID TOWER GAMING CASE (£82)

Overclocked CPU
OverClocked Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-930 (2.8GHz @ max 3.8GHz)

Motherboard
ASUS® P6X58D-E: DDR3, USB 3.0, SATA 6.0GB/s, 3-Way SLI

Memory (RAM)
6GB CORSAIR XMS3 TRI-DDR3 1600MHz (3 X 2GB)

Graphics Card
1GB ATI RADEON™ HD 5870 PCI EXPRESS - DirectX® 11

2nd Graphics Card
NONE

3rd Graphics Card
NONE

Memory - 1st Hard Disk
500GB SERIAL ATA 3-Gb/s HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (7,200rpm)

2nd Hard Disk
NONE

RAID (HDD 1 & 2)
NONE

1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
10x BLU-RAY ROM DRIVE, 16x DVD ±R/±RW (£59)

2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Memory Card Reader
INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (READS XD, MS, CF, SD, etc)

Power Supply & Case Cooling
CORSAIR 650W PSU (TX650) 80+ ULTRA QUIET (£76)

Processor Cooling
COOLIT ECO A.L.C (ADVANCED LIQUID COOLER) (£62)

Thermal Paste
ARCTIC COOLING MX-3 HIGH THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)

Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Facilities
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps PCI CARD (£16)

USB Options
6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS STANDARD

Modem
NONE, I WILL BE USING BROADBAND

Floppy Disk Drive
NONE

Firewire & Video Editing
NONE

TV Card
PCTV SYSTEMS DVB-T DUAL TUNER DIGITAL FREEVIEW TV CARD

Operating System
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence (£79)

Office Software
FREE Microsoft® Office Starter 2010 (Limited functionality Word & Excel)

Anti-Virus
BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL

Monitor
NONE

2nd Monitor
NONE

DVI Cable
NONE

GeForce 3D Vision
NONE

Keyboard & Mouse
Logitech® Internet 350 USB Keyboard (£9)

Mouse
Black Logitech® Optical Wheel Mouse USB (£5)

Speakers
NONE

Webcam
NONE

Headsets (VOIP)
NONE

Surge Protection
Belkin 4 Socket 2M Surge Protector with £25,000 Protection! (Special Offer £6)

Printer
NONE

External Hard Drive
NONE

Home Installation
NONE

Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, Lifetime Tech Support) (£5)

Data Recovery
1 x Hard Drive Data Recovery Service - Protect 1 Hard Drive Against Failure (£29)

Delivery
STANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)

Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 7 to 9 working days

Quantity

£1425 inc VAT and Delivery, but when I ordered this a week ago it was £1467.

Sweeney47

I doubt it, technically your PC is being built with components they already have in stock at the price you payed for them. For example, they bought something for £30, you bought it for £30 (obviously it doesnt work like this otherwise they wouldnt make a profit but as an example), the new stock is £28 but if they were to update your order to that price they would 'lose' £2

Its just the way they work as a company and imo its better than buying from Dell or whatever, whereby everything has a static price and it stays like that regardless of when prices drop...

Then again, you never know and you might get some money back ;)

HMFC_Riley

Enthusiast
I doubt it, technically your PC is being built with components they already have in stock at the price you payed for them. For example, they bought something for £30, you bought it for £30 (obviously it doesnt work like this otherwise they wouldnt make a profit but as an example), the new stock is £28 but if they were to update your order to that price they would 'lose' £2

Its just the way they work as a company and imo its better than buying from Dell or whatever, whereby everything has a static price and it stays like that regardless of when prices drop...

Then again, you never know and you might get some money back ;)

I agree. I don't think you're likely to get anything back although it never hurts to ask.

But as Sweeney said they may have bought in your components for a certain price last month and the new order has dropped in price which, as they say, they pass on to the customer :)

Sweeney47

Put it like this:

If the price on your PC had gone up would you allow them to take more money from you?

If the answer is no then you cant have it both ways...

I'm not just saying this, this happened on my order, I saved a quote and the next day when I looked the price had gone up £5

PaulH

Bright Spark
The above guys are correct im afraid, we bought your components at the specified price at the time of order, as said previously, prices change everyday.

Many apologies

JakAttack

Resident Metalhead
Staff member
Sod's law states: if you buy something, it will be probably be cheaper later, if you don't buy something but intend to later, the price will rise or the item will be discontinued.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
The reasons for the price changes are related to the $ (USD) - all IT equipment is bought in dollars, just like oil and many other commodities. As the $ rate gets better, even by a slight amount, our pricing changes by £20 - £30 over the cost of a £1,000 PC. We sell stock we have in at certain prices and as the $ changes, so does our pricing. It does unfortunately mean that your PC price will change. However, as stated above we would never call a customer and ask them to pay more for their computer because prices have increased, nor would a customer ever expect to pay more.

Recently sterling a hit a six month high against the dollar: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-10851502

Our pricing is usually a week or so behind the peak, and so right now is the best time to buy. The $ rate has fallen a little since this so our pricing may well be a bit higher again in a week or so... :)