Payment Blocking

colpee

Simple question, but is it routine to block authorisation of any sale until the go ahead is given by the customer to their bank? Is this something done on the sale of ram or just the computers?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
You can't buy just RAM from PCS - unless you already own a PC from them and are trying to order some as an upgrade?

When I first ordered a PC from PCS, the bank blocked my card and I had to get it unblocked. It's a security thing by the bank. If the same happened to you, it's something you need to discuss with your bank.

If it's something else that happened to you; what happened?

colpee

I did discuss it with my bank and I've just bought an optimus x with 8 gb of ram, with the view to upgrade at a later date. What I was told by the bank was that sometimes the seller will ask for the authorisation which sometimes causes the block. It was brought to my attention when the operator saw no sign of the authorisation request as a security alert on my account. She alluded to the circumstance some sellers will want authorisation for some payments.

What I'm curious to know is if the blocking is routine with PCS for all purchases or just purchases/services above a certain value (hence the question of ordering ram since I intend to install it myself as part of the upgrade service lest I decide to go it alone)

Rakk

The Awesome
What I'm curious to know is if the blocking is routine with PCS for all purchases or just purchases/services above a certain value (hence the question of ordering ram since I intend to install it myself as part of the upgrade service lest I decide to go it alone)
If its PCS doing it then you would have to ask them I'm afraid, most of us on the forums do not work for PCS so can only speculate :) - but it's possible they wouldn't actually tell you anyway.

Though I know one of my credit card companies has a tendancy to block large amounts to any online source (ie. where you're not actually present) until I call the bank/credit card company - Scan is the worst for me ... last time I got something from there I ended up using a different card than the one I'd intended to use.

colpee

If its PCS doing it then you would have to ask them I'm afraid, most of us on the forums do not work for PCS so can only speculate :) - but it's possible they wouldn't actually tell you anyway.

Though I know one of my credit card companies has a tendancy to block large amounts to any online source (ie. where you're not actually present) until I call the bank/credit card company - Scan is the worst for me ... last time I got something from there I ended up using a different card than the one I'd intended to use.
Great to have the option, but I'm a simple man (never used a credit card (starting to sound wierd now :) )) Seriously though the whole experience has left me at odds as the last laptop I bought (the one I'm using) was over a grand about 7 years ago iirc (it's an alien m14x) and I never had a problem. I really just came here to throw the cat among the pidgeons to see what came up in case someone had similar issues or one of the mods was aware since they will have had to represent the company regarding various issues (the fun of public/customer facing roles is you pick up a lot as you go since you're expected to know everything). I also wanted to raise the issue as a banner to other customers as something to expect.

Thank you also for letting me know about scan as I was looking at them as an alternative so I would probably been in the same boat.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
We don't represent PCS or work for them. We're just customers like you, :) Though we do see various issues on the forums and notice trends.

In general terms, all kinds of online banking and transaction fraud have become much more common in recent years, and so an increasing number of mechanisms to try to keep consumers (and businesses) safe have been put in place.

It's annoying as hell but it's better than losing all your money.

As you're probably aware, making a transaction with a credit card is overall much safer than with a debit card. Paying with the credit card is paying with the Bank's money; the debit card is just yours.

Rakk

The Awesome
one of the mods was aware since they will have had to represent the company regarding various issues (the fun of public/customer facing roles is you pick up a lot as you go since you're expected to know everything).
All of the mods who are not marked as 'Staff members' don't work for PCS - we are just volunteers, so whilst we may get slightly more info than others we still aren't privy to the internal working of the company :)

Thank you also for letting me know about scan as I was looking at them as an alternative so I would probably been in the same boat.
Do note it was entirely down to credit card company at that point rather than Scan themselves, as when I finally gave up with the first card (after 2 or 3 calls to them), the second un-related card went through with absolutely no issues whatsoever (no calls needed at all) - so it well be something similar that you're experiencing

colpee

Well here's hoping it was a one off, but I'm still suspicious as I've had two versions of a story. Both make some sense, but working in benefits you develop a cynicism. I'm aware that credit is deemed safer, but I deal with my own money as I refuse to have unnecessary debt. I'm also aware that fraud is a thing (again benefits. I've handled appeals before and the security is immense and repercussions for getting it wrong are very damning), but at the same time there is overkill and most transactions (in fact all transactions) are taken on good faith lest proven otherwise. If such intervention becomes too common It'll ruin business and service as a whole. In any case thank you for your time gentlemen :)