PBO2 - Undervolting

xKMet

Morning Guys,

Since I've got my 5900x I've noticed the voltage runs at around 1.45V and regularly spike to 80-85 degrees, I've read that by design AMD have said that this is totally fine and not to worry.

Recently I've seen that PBO2 has been released with a Curve Optimizer feature which manages core speeds and voltage by undervolting and people actually seem to be seeing an improvement in temperature and performance from this!

Has anyone used this feature and what was your experience? Any issues?

As always, i appreciate any response.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Morning Guys,

Since I've got my 5900x I've noticed the voltage runs at around 1.45V and regularly spike to 80-85 degrees, I've read that by design AMD have said that this is totally fine and not to worry.

Recently I've seen that PBO2 has been released with a Curve Optimizer feature which manages core speeds and voltage by undervolting and people actually seem to be seeing an improvement in temperature and performance from this!

Has anyone used this feature and what was your experience? Any issues?

As always, i appreciate any response.
Firstly, what are you using to read temps? Ryzen doesn’t play nice with most things apart from Ryzen master. Uninstall any other temp software and just use that.

xKMet

Firstly, what are you using to read temps? Ryzen doesn’t play nice with most things apart from Ryzen master. Uninstall any other temp software and just use that.
I'm using Ryzen Master, When i'm just browsing the internet its normally between 35-50 degrees, but if i jump into a game, for example Warzone, it will jump to between 65-79, with the occasional spike to up to 85-86 degrees.

It seems to be constantly at around 1.45V, obviously it's a new CPU so this could be purely by design, just a bit nervous.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm using Ryzen Master, When i'm just browsing the internet its normally between 35-50 degrees, but if i jump into a game, for example Warzone, it will jump to between 65-79, with the occasional spike to up to 85-86 degrees.

It seems to be constantly at around 1.45V, obviously it's a new CPU so this could be purely by design, just a bit nervous.
Do you have any other temperature monitors installed?

Even having them installed will conflict with RyzenMaster.

Also, what mobo do you have?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It is possible i may still have HWMonitor installed, though not open. I will need to check.
Sorry, what motherboard have you got? There's been a recent poster who found an overclock feature was enabled on an Asus board out of the box, it's been found on quite a few Asus boards recently, setting has been applied by default out of the factory... I'll see if I can hunt down that thread, may be worth a look in the BIOS.

xKMet

CaseCORSAIR CRYSTAL SERIES 570X RGB GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12 Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.8GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080
1st Storage Drive1TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA 120 2.5" SSD, (up to 560MB/sR | 540MB/sW)
1st M.2 SSD Drive500GB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (up to 5000MB/R, 2500MB/W)
Power SupplyCORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCorsair H100i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Extra Case Fans1x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Ok, was just checking there’s nothing that may be affecting temp readings.

I haven’t actually used PBO2 but have heard excellent things, LinusTechTips actually did a piece on it and were extremely positive about it and I trust them implicitly.

xKMet

I'll have a look at the information, it is possible it is meant to run this way so I'm leaning on the side of leave it as it is and don't try doing things you don't have a thorough understanding of. :censored:

Thanks for your help.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'll have a look at the information, it is possible it is meant to run this way so I'm leaning on the side of leave it as it is and don't try doing things you don't have a thorough understanding of. :censored:

Thanks for your help.
The only other thing that could be a factor is the radiator placement in the case...

If the radiator is placed vertically with the tubes up high and higher than the pump placement on the CPU.... that's bad and much frowned upon, reason being is that an air bubble will form at the top of the radiator and prevent circulation so you get increased thermals and eventual failure of the pump.

Normally it would be placed on the roof of the case, especially with the H100i, I would expect that, but just thought I'd mention it.

Also, worth installing iCue to monitor your pump, just make sure it's working optimally.

AND.... now that I think of it, this could well be a reason temps are higher than we'd like.... if the pump is set to "silent" running, that's bad... it needs to be on anything but that. The controls for that are in iCue, give us a shout if you have problems finding it.

Stop Doing It Wrong: How to Kill Your CPU Cooler (AIO Mounting Orientation) - YouTube

Just forward to the last "Stop It" summary in that video, states it perfectly well.