PC Crashing 3 + times a day, can't pinpoint the reasoning behind why it is crashing

Bigfoot

Grand Master
I don't know if this is relevant but I'll attach the screenshot anyway. Whilst using MSI afterburner to see how the desktop was functioning, the memory usage seems to be particularly high and I don't know why that is.
Where are you seeing memory usage? On your screenshot all I can see is memory clock speed.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I've downloaded all the required and optional windows updates and I'm still experiencing the restarting/ freezing at the same rate as before.
I've gone into the system log and uploaded a detailed system log of the potential errors. The link to the system log is here - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1wb9EJpZRjVxVlJoHFtoR5THMb8DClMTo

If anyone could take a look and let me know if they're able to identify the source for the constant crashing that would be much appreciated. I'm still on stand by and happy to try anymore potential solutions.
When you upload files for others (like me :)) to download, can you please make them 'public'. Currently I have to request access from you. If you make them public then anyone with the link can download them.

Thanks. :)

Aaka0

When you upload files for others (like me :)) to download, can you please make them 'public'. Currently I have to request access from you. If you make them public then anyone with the link can download them.

Thanks. :)
My mistake, I didn't realise they were restricted, I've changed the permissions now so anyone with the link can access them.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
In your System log (for today) there are a number of interesting an unusual entries worthy of further investigation.....

1. There are several (and repeated) Critical errors logged for the Windows Driver Framework relating to a HID-compliant headset using
VID_1532 and PID_0529. VID_1532 is Razer but my database don't contain and entry for PID_0529, though it's possibly a gaming headset?

This would point to some sort of driver issue and if serious enough it could cause a crash and restart. Does this device have its own driver?

2. There are a lot of Informational messages logged relating to PnP disk drives being removed unexpectedly. These are numerous. These aren't the cause of your crashing but they're not normal either.

Are you manually disconnecting drives or is this unexpected?

3. There are a large number of Informational messages logged related to your Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz concerning unknown events being raised by this adapter. None of these would cause a crash and they're not unusual either. I wouldn't mention them if it weren't for the next set of errors....

4. There are several Error entries logged relating to the Zero Config Service terminating. This is part of the Intel PROset wireless tools. In my experience it's way less hassle if you only install the AX200 driver and do not install any of the PROset tools, you likely don't need them in any case.

I don't think that these wireless errors are causing your crash (though it's not impossible that they could) but it's something else that may need looking at.

In your Application log (for today) there are several (and repeated) entries logged for the WUDFHost.exe. This is the Windows Driver Framework executable and these errors relate to the Razer device mentioned in your System log.

There are also at least two Windows Error Reporting entries reporting a Live Kernel Event. These are errors in the kernel that may have been recovered or may also have caused a crash. The log entries report that live kernel dumps were written, these will be in the C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports folder. Please upload any that are current (ie. for today).

There are also a few AppCrash entries logged for ArmorySwAgent.exe, though the error location was in KERNELBASE.dlll, that's part of the Windows kernel. The log entries report that dumps were written to the C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp folder. Please upload any that are current (ie. for today).

I would remove the Intel PROset tools and just have the AX200 driver installed.

I would examine why all those PnP disk drive disconnected unexpectedly messages happen.

I would check whatever that Razer device is and see whether it has its own driver - and whether it's installed.

And please upload any relevant dumps in the folders mentioned above.

:)

Aaka0

In your System log (for today) there are a number of interesting an unusual entries worthy of further investigation.....

1. There are several (and repeated) Critical errors logged for the Windows Driver Framework relating to a HID-compliant headset using
VID_1532 and PID_0529. VID_1532 is Razer but my database don't contain and entry for PID_0529, though it's possibly a gaming headset?

This would point to some sort of driver issue and if serious enough it could cause a crash and restart. Does this device have its own driver?

2. There are a lot of Informational messages logged relating to PnP disk drives being removed unexpectedly. These are numerous. These aren't the cause of your crashing but they're not normal either.

Are you manually disconnecting drives or is this unexpected?

3. There are a large number of Informational messages logged related to your Intel(R) Wi-Fi 6 AX200 160MHz concerning unknown events being raised by this adapter. None of these would cause a crash and they're not unusual either. I wouldn't mention them if it weren't for the next set of errors....

4. There are several Error entries logged relating to the Zero Config Service terminating. This is part of the Intel PROset wireless tools. In my experience it's way less hassle if you only install the AX200 driver and do not install any of the PROset tools, you likely don't need them in any case.

I don't think that these wireless errors are causing your crash (though it's not impossible that they could) but it's something else that may need looking at.

In your Application log (for today) there are several (and repeated) entries logged for the WUDFHost.exe. This is the Windows Driver Framework executable and these errors relate to the Razer device mentioned in your System log.

There are also at least two Windows Error Reporting entries reporting a Live Kernel Event. These are errors in the kernel that may have been recovered or may also have caused a crash. The log entries report that live kernel dumps were written, these will be in the C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports folder. Please upload any that are current (ie. for today).

There are also a few AppCrash entries logged for ArmorySwAgent.exe, theough th error location was in KERNELBASE.dlll, that's part of the Windows kernel. The log entries report that dumps were written to the C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows\WER\Temp folder. Please upload any that are current (ie. for today).

I would remove the Intel PROset tools and just have the AX200 driver installed.

I would examine why all those PnP disk drive disconnected unexpectedly messages happen.

I would check whatever that Razer device is and see whether it has its own driver - and whether it's installed.

And please upload any relevant dumps in the folders mentioned above.

:)
Thank you so much for taking the time to summarise the logs and present them so clearly.

1. The Headset I'm using is the Razer BlackShark V2 | RZ04-03230. I have downloaded Razer synapse for the headset and configured the settings. I'm hoping that fixes any problems that the headset might cause. As far as I could see there wasn't any drivers available to download for that particular model of headset. I'll maybe try and change where I've plugged in the USB Soundcard, if the error is still there I think I'll get rid of the sound card and use the regular 3.5mm jack.

2. For the PnP disk drives I don't believe I've meddled with them at all. That sounds problematic, is there anyway to check and see what is disconnecting them?

3. I've uninstalled Intel PROset tools and I have downloaded the AX200 drivers.

4. I have followed your instructions and retrieved the files from C:/Windows/LiveKernelReports folder and the files from C:/Program Data/Microsoft/Windows/WER/Temp. Here is the link to the Google drive (which I've made sure is shareable :D) - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/11MKA42JTo_rsvAL2vZTzELXNqoHgXVzr?usp=sharing

Thanks again for taking the time to help me with this issue, the desktop has been pretty much unplayable whenever I open games.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I'll write a more detailed response in a little while, I have to go out now. All of your minidumps point at nvlddmkm.sys, the Nvidia graphics driver. I looked at a random sample of the Watchdog dumps from LiveKernelReports and all of those point at nvlddmkm.sys, dxgkrnl.sys or dxgmms2.sys - all of those are also graphics related.

From these dumps it's clearly a graphics card or graphics driver problem. The nvlddmkm.sys driver is the Nvidia supplied driver, but the dxgkrnl.sys and dxgmms2.sys drivers are part of DirectX and the drivers for this are part of Windows.

If you haven't already done so I would use DDU to remove the Nvidia driver and then download and install the latest driver manually (not via GeForce Experience) direct from the Nvidia website.

Also, remove and fully reseat your graphics card.

Also check your Windows component store by opening an elevated command prompt end issuing this command...

dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth

If that reports any corruptions then stop and post a screenshot of the output.

If the dism command reports no corruptions then check your critical Windows system files by running the following command...

sfc /scannow

If that reports errors found and corrected then reboot and see how things go. If it reports errors found and not corrected upload the CBS.log file it refers to.

I'll post a more detailed analysis of the dumps later - if you're interested?

Last edited:

Aaka0

Thanks again for taking the time out to reply, it's very much appreciated.

I was hoping it wasn't a graphics card issue since I'm actually past the one year point by about a month when it comes to the warranty for part replacement from PCS and 2080 TI is incredibly expensive. I've actually used DDU to remove the NVIDIA driver and downloaded the NVIDIA driver version from July and was still experiencing the crashes / freezing.

I'll go through the process again with DDU, manually install the driver and attempt to reseat the graphics card.

I've checked the Windows component store using the command and it came back saying No component store corruption detected.

I've also run the sfc /scannow command and it came back to me with the following:
Windows Resource Protection found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.
For online repairs, details are included in the CBS log file located at
windir\Logs\CBS\CBS.log.

I've retrieved the CBS file and uploaded it anyway to - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1RHUZmGZZDtb513sTKxgh-LhN4uxq601H?usp=sharing

I'm going to go through the DDU process now then I'll reseat the graphics card and get back to you, hopefully your suggestions fix this issue and if you've got the time I'd appreciate a detailed analysis just so I can send it all to PCS just in case the worst case scenario pops up of my 2080 TI being faulty.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Here's a deeper analysis of your minidumps, feel free to point PCS at this but they almost certainly have people far better at dump analysis than I am. :)

The 091121-11875-01.dmp minidump has a stop code of VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE. TDR is the Timeout Detection and Recovery feature, called when a graphics device takes too long to respond. TDR resets the graphics driver and this may look like a crash to you because it clears the screen and the restart the driver. The exception code is a 0xc000009a, this indicates 'insufficient resources' which generally means the driver didn't allocate memory properly or at all. The driver in control at the time of the bug check was nvlddmkm.sys, which is the Nvidia graphics driver, but the stack trace shows the actual failure was a timeout in dxgkrnl.sys. This is part of the DirectX graphics engine. Clearly this is a graphics error, possibly the Nvidia driver, possibly the Windows DirectX driver, or possibly the graphics card itself.

Interestingly, and unusually, there is a driver failure in the list oif calls in the active thread....
Code:
fffff309`75e2fb48  ffffd066`36a4d301Unable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\win32kbase.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for win32kbase.sys
 win32kbase+0x24d301
The win32kbase.sys driver is the base Windows driver that manages other driver calls. I very much doubt there is an error in here however, it's more likely that the nvlddmkm.sys/dxgkrnl.sys failures triggered this error.

The 091021-11703-01.dmp minidump has a stop code of DPC_WATCHDOG_VIOLATION. A DPC is a deferred procedure call, it's the way that the back-end of drivers complete whatever task they were given. The vaklue of 0x00000001 for argument 1 indicates that a DPC was executing for too long. There are strict limits on how long a DPC can run for (because they run at an elevated IRQL and the CPU is disabled for other interrupts. If a DPC runs for too long (or stalls) the Watchdog will pop and terminate the DPC (which may have serious consequences for the device involved). The driver having DPC problems here was nvlddmkm.sys, the Nvidia graphics driver. Clearly this is also a graphics error, possibly the Nvidia driver, or possibly the graphics card itself.

The 091021-13812-01.dmp minidump has a stop code of VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE and is identical in all respects to the 091121-11875-01.dmp. It's also indicating a graphics error, possibly the Nvidia driver, possibly the Windows DirectX driver or possibly the graphics card itself.

The 082521-14234-01.dmp dump has a stop code of VIDEO_SCHEDULER_INTERNAL_ERROR. This indicates that the Windows video scheduler function encountered a fatal error. The value of 0x00000002 in argument 1 indicates that the [graphics] driver failed upon the submission of a command. The driver in error here was dxgmms2.sys, a component of the DirectX feature.

There is also an error for nvlddmkm.sys in the list of calls made by the active thread...
Code:
ffffc187`86fba088  fffff804`6b5f8a9bUnable to load image \SystemRoot\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\nv_dispi.inf_amd64_253e24b785ea60ca\nvlddmkm.sys, Win32 error 0n2
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for nvlddmkm.sys
 nvlddmkm+0x98a9b
Clearly this is also a graphics error, possibly the Nvidia driver, possibly the Windows DirectX driver, or possibly the graphics card itself.

On to the Live Kernel Dumps then. These fall into two groups, Watchdog failures and a single USB failure. I don't think the USB failure is the cause of your crashes however.

The USBHUB3-20210911-1147.dmp dump has a failure code of BUGCODE_USB3_DRIVER, this just indicates that there was a bug check in a USB3 driver, in this case UsbHub3.sys. The value of 0x00003003 in argument 1 indicates that a USB device failed enumeration, which means that it didn't respond when polled. I have no idea what device this is but I'd suspect its the Razer device we were seeing log entries for earlier.

The Watchdog dumps are because the watchdog was called because a DPC ran for too long or because the processor spent too long at an elevated IRQL. You already know about this feature from the 091021-11703-01.dmp minidump above. I have no looked at every single of these dumps, I took a random sample of seven from the ten dumps you uploaded.

Six of these dumps are identical. They all have a failure code of VIDEO_ENGINE_TIMEOUT_DETECTED, which as you might imagine indicates that a video driver timed out. The failing driver was our old friend nvlddmkm.sys, although the stack trace shows that it was dxgmms2.sys (a DirectX driver) that timed out. All these clearly indicate a graphics error, possibly the Nvidia driver, possibly the Windows DirectX driver or possibly the graphics card itself.

One of the Watchdog dumps, WATCHDOG-20210911-1412.dmp, has a failure code of VIDEO_DXGKRNL_LIVEDUMP. THis indicates that the DritectX kernel driver, dxgkrnl.sys, has encountered an error. The value of 0x0000080F in argument 1 just indicates some sort of internal error. The stack trace shows that it was the dxgkrnl!DxgkCreateAllocation+0x8906b call that failed, this would appear to be allocating something - memory perhaps?

As you can see every single dump I@ve looked at points strongly toi a graphics problem, either with the NVidia graphics driver, the DrierctX driver (unlikely to be at fault since it's part of Windows) or the graphics card itself. My gut is tending towards it being the card.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I've just scanned the entries for today in the CBS.log (sfc appends to the existing log) and there is nothing in there of note. The few 'errors' it found were largely cosmetic. :)

Last edited:

Aaka0

The breakdown you've provided is greatly appreciated. It will serve as a nice reference point just in case there are any problems associated with the graphics card.

I've uninstalled the NVIDIA drivers using DDU and manually installed the latest version of NVIDIA drivers. I've also reseated the graphics card and all the commands you suggested that I run have been executed. I'm going to try and run a game or two and see if the graphics card holds up. Fingers crossed that these suggestions put a stop to the reboots and freezing. I'll get back to you shortly to see if the problem is still there. Let's hope it's not the graphics card that is the issue.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Let's hope it's not the graphics card that is the issue.
To prove that you'll need to clean install Windows from bootable media, deleting all existing UEFI partitions. Run Windows Update repeatedly (and across reboots) until no more updates are found. Then install all optional updates until no more updates are found. Finally download and install the latest driver for your graphics card from the Nvidia website.

Do not install any other software.

Now install and run a GPU stress test, @SpyderTracks can advise the best one for stressing the GPU (and driver). That should indicate whether the card is flaky.

Aaka0

To prove that you'll need to clean install Windows from bootable media, deleting all existing UEFI partitions. Run Windows Update repeatedly (and across reboots) until no more updates are found. Then install all optional updates until no more updates are found. Finally download and install the latest driver for your graphics card from the Nvidia website.

Do not install any other software.

Now install and run a GPU stress test, @SpyderTracks can advise the best one for stressing the GPU (and driver). That should indicate whether the card is flaky.
So far I've had no crashes ever since I followed your instructions you gave out on Sunday. Everything has been pretty smooth. I'm hoping it holds up. I'd like to thank you again for all the help, summaries and the instructions you've provided, I really appreciate it.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
So far I've had no crashes ever since I followed your instructions you gave out on Sunday. Everything has been pretty smooth. I'm hoping it holds up. I'd like to thank you again for all the help, summaries and the instructions you've provided, I really appreciate it.
No problem. Fingers crossed that it's sorted! :)