PC crashing and reboot

closetchimp

Bronze Level Poster
Hi, so had my pc for 4 weeks and having a few teething issues, major one was having the 3070Ti exchanged as it lost signal output, although PCS were very good and exchanged it no issues.
But more worryingly my PC has started to have random crashes causing it to reboot.

Had a look at the event viewer and it shows 6 critical events coinciding with shut downs and list the source as 'Kernel-power'.

The last 3 happened twice yesterday and once today , all times when i was playing half life alyx in VR.
Although the other times its happened It wasn't when using VR

Anyone any idea what this means?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Had a look at the event viewer and it shows 6 critical events coinciding with shut downs and list the source as 'Kernel-power'.
That's simply reporting the shutdown, it's not an error, merely what happened. It's just saying it wasn't expected.

Can you post your full specs from the order page?

closetchimp

Bronze Level Poster
Hi Spyder,, yea will do, sorry about the format but but when you use the copy to Forum way it doesn't list the changes made so has to copy and paste it this way.

Case CORSAIR iCUE 5000X RGB MID TOWER GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Six Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.6GHz/35MB CACHE/AM4)
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Eight Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.7GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardASUS® STRIX B550-F GAMING (DDR4, USB 3.2, 6Gb/s) - ARGB Ready!
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 8GB)
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070 - HDMI, DP
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3070 Ti - HDMI, DP
1st Storage Drive1TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: NOT REQUIRED
1st M.2 SSD Drive512GB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD DriveNONE
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 1TB INTEL® 670p M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 3500MB/sR | 2500MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 750W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCorsair H115i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: Corsair H150i ELITE CAPELLIX RGB Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
LED Lighting2x 50cm RGB LED Strip
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 50cm RGB LED Strip
Extra Case Fans1x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 3x Corsair LL120 RGB LED Fan + Controller Kit
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network CardWIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating SystemWindows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]

closetchimp

Bronze Level Poster
So i know its not a GPU issue as i had 3 instances of it before the GPU was swapped.
But he fact its done it 3 times in 2 days while using VR, has me wondering if there is a correlation there.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
So i know its not a GPU issue as i had 3 instances of it before the GPU was swapped.
But he fact its done it 3 times in 2 days while using VR, has me wondering if there is a correlation there.
does it do it without the vr headset connected

closetchimp

Bronze Level Poster
Well i had 2 crashes within the first 2 weeks of having the system but no VR was connected and then it was fine for a while, until yesterday when i had 2 crashes and then today another 1.
All 3 of these was with the VR headset connected.
I'm going to to try it wireless and see if that makes any difference as i'm wondering if it might be to do with the link cable and the USB connection, not sure how or why that would cause an issue but its worth troubleshooting first.

closetchimp

Bronze Level Poster
So thought I'd do a quick update incase anyone has a similar issue.
I have literally tested everything, using as many different ways possible.
All hardware components individually and collectively
I've updated everything that could possibly be updated.
I've troubleshooted with oculas for nearly 2 weeks.
I've troubled shooted with steam for the past 2 weeks.

Conclusion is... There is non. There is no signs of any issues with any hardware and all the software has been checked etc. Its a total head scratcher.
Whatever is causing this only seems to happen on HL Alyx, cannot get it to replicate the issues using any other game or programme/stress tester etc.

It just seems to be a weird quirk with this one application!

So sorry, If anyone else has a similar issue.. Your on your own 😂😂😂

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Is there a kernel dump in the file C:\Windows\Memory.dmp, or any minidumps in the folder C:\Windows\Minidumps? Upload any that you find (the kernel dump will have to go to the cloud with a link to it here).

closetchimp

Bronze Level Poster
Is there a kernel dump in the file C:\Windows\Memory.dmp, or any minidumps in the folder C:\Windows\Minidumps? Upload any that you find (the kernel dump will have to go to the cloud with a link to it here).
Hi,

This is the drop box link to a folder with mini dumps in , i think.
I did look for C:\Windows\Memory.dmp and there is a DMP file listed as MEMORY.DMP but i cant open it and its huge anyways...apx 1.6gb.

If you need anything else let me know. I'm at a loss so any help would be appreciated.

closetchimp

Bronze Level Poster
Hi,

This is the drop box link to a folder with mini dumps in , i think.
I did look for C:\Windows\Memory.dmp and there is a DMP file listed as MEMORY.DMP but i cant open it and its huge anyways...apx 1.6gb.

If you need anything else let me know. I'm at a loss so any help would be appreciated.
Not sure if it's relevant but there's only a a few in there from the 2/9 and 3/9 and I had soooooo many more crashes and reboots than that.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
All five minidumnps are identical. They all have a stop code of VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE. TDR is the Timeout Detection and Recovery feature that detects hangs in the video driver and restarts it - that can appear as a crash and restart.

The failing driver in every case is nvlddmkm.sys, the NVidia graphics driver. The stack trace shows that it was the DirectX driver dxgkrnl.sys that actually timed out and was reset.

The error exception code was 0xc000009a, which indicates 'insufficient resources' and that could be either a driver screw-up or a problem with the graphics card itself.

It's clear from these dumps that the problem in these cases was with the graphics card or driver. I'd bet that it's the cause of all your problems.

First off, remove the graphics card and reseat it fully. It's not uncommon for the big graphics cards to work slightly loose in transit.

Then use DDU to uninstall the existing Nvidia driver (the system will reboot) and then manually install the latest driver for your OS and card, downloaded from the Nvidia website. Do not use GeForce Experience to update the driver.

closetchimp

Bronze Level Poster
All five minidumnps are identical. They all have a stop code of VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE. TDR is the Timeout Detection and Recovery feature that detects hangs in the video driver and restarts it - that can appear as a crash and restart.

The failing driver in every case is nvlddmkm.sys, the NVidia graphics driver. The stack trace shows that it was the DirectX driver dxgkrnl.sys that actually timed out and was reset.

The error exception code was 0xc000009a, which indicates 'insufficient resources' and that could be either a driver screw-up or a problem with the graphics card itself.

It's clear from these dumps that the problem in these cases was with the graphics card or driver. I'd bet that it's the cause of all your problems.

First off, remove the graphics card and reseat it fully. It's not uncommon for the big graphics cards to work slightly loose in transit.

Then use DDU to uninstall the existing Nvidia driver (the system will reboot) and then manually install the latest driver for your OS and card, downloaded from the Nvidia website. Do not use GeForce Experience to update the driver.
OK, done them both.

It'll have to be Sunday before i can test it out as working in a bit and wont have any down time til Sunday.
I'll let you know the outcome.

Gonna be sooooo annoyed with myself if its that simple when i've literally poured weeks of detective crap into this :)

thanks for the help and i'll let you know how it gets on soon.