PC crashing on Hibernate or Sleep

darbar

Hi all,

My Windows 7 PCS PC has been running fantastically since last July. However, a couple of months back I noticed that, after hibernating the PC the night before, I started getting 'windows did not shut down correctly' (or words to that effect) warnings when turning on the next day (followed by a fresh boot into windows rather than into the previously hibernated state).

This has now started to occur more frequently - so much so that hibernating (or sleep) are useless.

Having witnessed it now, the screen blanks (as if it really is going to hibernate) but that is all - the PC appears to remain running in all other respects. After a long time, it then shuts down.

I've tried it out this evening. The event log shows: The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x0000009f (0x0000000000000003, 0xfffffa800671ada0, 0xfffff80000b9c3d8, 0xfffffa800de62010). A dump was saved in: C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id: 060713-26395-01.

I'm sure it has mentioned blue screens for previous hibernation attempts.

I have updated graphics/audio and network drivers. I've also checked the power settings and disabled/re-enabled sleep and hibernation.

Can anyone help as I tend to use hibernate/sleep regularly and can't trust it at all now.

Thanks,

Darbar

darbar

Thanks. I've looked into this now but I appear to have newer versions of the listed files.
My spec is as follows:
Case COOLERMASTER CM690 MKII ADVANCED CASE
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-3770 (3.4GHz) 8MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® P8Z77-V LX: USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs, ATI®CrossFireX
Memory (RAM) 8GB SAMSUNG DUAL-DDR3 1333MHz (2 X 4GB)
Graphics Card 1GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GT 630 - DVI,HDMI,VGA - 3D Vision Ready
Memory - 1st Hard Disk 1TB WD CAVIAR BLACK WD1002FAEX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 64MB CACHE
(7200rpm)
2nd Hard Disk 500GB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 16MB CACHE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
2nd DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0
PORT
Power Supply 450W Quiet 80 PLUS Dual Rail PSU + 120mm Case Fan
Processor Cooling SUPER QUIET 22dBA TRIPLE COPPER HEATPIPE INTEL CPU
COOLER
Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO
Network Facilities 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB Options 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL (MIN 2 FRONT PORTS) AS
STANDARD
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1
Keyboard & Mouse LOGITECH® K200 USB MEDIA KEYBOARD

darbar

Thank you for your help.

I have solved the problem after trying several things:

Firstly I checked my old event logs to find the first time that the error occurred. It was apparently back in March 2013. I checked which software had been installed or upgraded just before this and uninstalled. The problem remained.

Then, as I was aware that the problem only occurred after the computer was left idle for some time, I played around with the 'screen turning off', 'screensaver' and similar settings. The problem remained.

I then (coincidentally) installed a new piece of software which added something to task scheduler. I then looked in task scheduler but was greeted with the following problem: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...r-exists/01e60fa1-8004-40b4-9cf0-247fb80edb56

I repaired the problem by removing the offending task (there was only one offending task - a scheduled defrag event) and re-enabling it.

Now, my hibernate/sleep/hybrid sleep works perfectly.

After all of that it was a very simple solution - but a difficult problem to diagnose.

Thanks again for your help.

Darbar

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
So do you think that the original problem was caused by a hibernate during a scheduled defrag? I guess that's what left the orphan defrag task and possibly screwed up hibernation from then on?

I'm just curious, I've never come across that before. Interesting. :)

darbar

I'm really not sure. I guess that hibernation could occur during any scheduled event (which doesn't end up with the event being orphaned) so maybe it was just one of those things.

I still hold my breath every time I select Hibernate or Sleep but it's been a while since it froze now - I'm certain it's fixed :)