PC desktop case enclosure

musicman

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on the airflow requirements outside the computer case.
My pc would sit in a fitted unit 55cm D[ my pc could protrude out of this unit another 10 cm or so if req]
56cm H
28 cm W
The unit is made of wood with a small 8X15 cm vent on r side the side [i could put on another larger vent on the
left side which would vent out to the room].The question is would this enclosed unit affect the cooling of whatever case i choose
even if it had good cooling inside the case?. Example, I could just probably squeeze the Haf x in the unit but not a lot of airflow around
the back and sides[about 3cm on sides 6cm back] I know the advice would be to pick smaller case or have it sitting on top of my desk
but would be better for me to place the pc in the unit proveded .
Thanks

samwil

Enthusiast
Covering up your computer in a enclosed space is always a bad idea, I had a friend that did it and he's paying the price today with a very poor quality processor and other hardware after bad cooling, his computer is near collapse after only a couple of years.
Your best of finding a completely open area, 360 degrees of fresh air if possible, placing it closer towards a window, and opening slightly during gaming etc can also help circulate the room and prevent the hot air re-entering your computer, just remember, the cooler you keep your PC, the healthier it will be and the longer it lasts, it's a no brainer to take cooling extremely seriously on a high quality PC.

steaky360

Covering up your computer in a enclosed space is always a bad idea, I had a friend that did it and he's paying the price today with a very poor quality processor and other hardware after bad cooling, his computer is near collapse after only a couple of years.
Your best of finding a completely open area, 360 degrees of fresh air if possible, placing it closer towards a window, and opening slightly during gaming etc can also help circulate the room and prevent the hot air re-entering your computer, just remember, the cooler you keep your PC, the healthier it will be and the longer it lasts, it's a no brainer to take cooling extremely seriously on a high quality PC.

+1

As samwil has said, its extremely important to provide good airflow to a PC. Typically its the air vents you need to keep clear but its often easier (and more practical) to ensure the entire PC has good airflow around it. All your fans inside the PC either taking in cooler air or extracting hot air will be useless if they are forced up against something or if the PC is in a box essentially stewing in its own juices.

Corfate

Author Level
Obviously, you don't need a huge space on panels where there is no vents or fans, typically the right hand side of the pc. Just give yourself 10cm of space for each vent on your pc and you'll be sound :)

Keep it off carpets as it'll suck up dust. Don't let cats sit ontop of it dropping hair into the pc. Clean it every few months with compressed air and you'll be golden :)