PC for newly converted console gamers.

debiruman665

Enthusiast
My brother and friend are looking to switch to PC and I really wanna recommend PCS rather than them getting a prebuilt.

Requirements:

They are console gamers to their eyes have not been spoiled with 60fps so I think there's no point in them getting an ultra high spec machine for high FPS as they will likely be using their tv's to play the thing.

Needs to survive the lifecycle of the PS5 and play games of that generation.

I'm also considering telling them to lock the frames to 30 fps so they can have better graphical effects running with a frame rate they can push the settings a bit harder.

Thanks in advance for the help.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
My brother and friend are looking to switch to PC and I really wanna recommend PCS rather than them getting a prebuilt.

Requirements:

They are console gamers to their eyes have not been spoiled with 60fps so I think there's no point in them getting an ultra high spec machine for high FPS as they will likely be using their tv's to play the thing.

Needs to survive the lifecycle of the PS5 and play games of that generation.

I'm also considering telling them to lock the frames to 30 fps so they can have better graphical effects running with a frame rate they can push the settings a bit harder.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Tbh, there’s no point getting a pc if it’s going to be locked down as a console, kind of defeats the object of a gaming PC.

What’s the max budget and what resolution refresh rate screens are they going to use?

debiruman665

Enthusiast
Tbh, there’s no point getting a pc if it’s going to be locked down as a console, kind of defeats the object of a gaming PC.

What’s the max budget and what resolution refresh rate screens are they going to use?
They will have access to a wider variety of games that are much cheaper to purchase. They have realised that despite consoles being cheaper they are losing more money in the long term buying the games now that the second hand market has been destroyed.

No max budget, It will mostly likely be played on an LCD Tv with a refresh of up to 60Hz. They're looking for a console replacement so I'd expect it to be closer to the 1k mark rather than 2k.

Our eyes may be spoiled by high refresh rates and going down to 30fps feels like watching a power point presentation. They would not even know the difference.

I can provide them with some High capacity platter hard disks for storage so a ssd for the OS should be adequate.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It will mostly likely be played on an LCD Tv with a refresh of up to 60Hz.
What resolution though?

They're looking for a console replacement so I'd expect it to be closer to the 1k mark rather than 2k.
To match the PS5 or Xbox Series X, the equivalent PC would cost around £2k at the moment with an RTX3070 / RX6800

They have realised that despite consoles being cheaper they are losing more money in the long term buying the games now that the second hand market has been destroyed.
Not sure what you mean by this? Second hand games are still a thing, physical sales haven't been affected at all? If anything this relates to PC digital sales, you can't currently resell PC games and there are no physical PC games anymore. Console games still have physical copies.

Our eyes may be spoiled by high refresh rates and going down to 30fps feels like watching a power point presentation. They would not even know the difference.
That doesn't mean they don't deserve the benefits of PC gaming though, it would be silly to cut the experience just because they're used to capped framerates.