PC for video editing & gaming - please help an idiot!

PC numpty

Thank you both for explaining further, much appreciated (y)

Could I possibly ask for suggestions for a suitable monitor to best make use of the pc specs recommended to me? I understand that picking the wrong monitor can either be an expensive over specced folly or not good enough to get the most out of the hardware, I don't want to fall at the last hurdle!

Cheers

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
It depends what you want to spend really. Ideally you would want to have as much space as possible for editing (toolboxes etc). 4k would be favoured by me personally. The 3060Ti wouldn't really be up to powering that sort of panel at a good rate for gaming though so I would typically opt for 1440p for the gaming panel.

Are you looking for more than one monitor? If so, I would consider spending around £250-£300 on a reasonable 4k 60hz IPS panel and then another £300 on a good 1440p 144hz Gaming panel. Clearly this would need a budget of around £600.

If you wanted to have all the eggs in one basket it would be a 1440p 144hz IPS panel, which would typically be ITRO £350-£500.

Aza

Rising Star
It depends what you want to spend really. Ideally you would want to have as much space as possible for editing (toolboxes etc). 4k would be favoured by me personally. The 3060Ti wouldn't really be up to powering that sort of panel at a good rate for gaming though so I would typically opt for 1440p for the gaming panel.

Are you looking for more than one monitor? If so, I would consider spending around £250-£300 on a reasonable 4k 60hz IPS panel and then another £300 on a good 1440p 144hz Gaming panel. Clearly this would need a budget of around £600.

If you wanted to have all the eggs in one basket it would be a 1440p 144hz IPS panel, which would typically be ITRO £350-£500.
On offer on amazon atm, normailly £700, currently £590 Samsung G7 IPS Monitor (4K 144Hz)
Been incredibly tempted to buy it myself.

PC numpty

Thank you all for the replies.

I am prepared to spend what ever I "need" to to match the rest of the circa £2k pc build if that makes sense. I don't want to waste money on something that is "too good" for the pc but likewise I don't want to cheap out and get something not up to the task of maximising the PC's display potential. I will be guided by what the knowledgeable people on here suggest and spend accordingly.

I have two monitors on my current pc, both the same make/model and approx 23". I like the flexibility of having two monitors so am happy to stick with a similar set up or go with a single monitor if that makes more sense for the new pc.

The video editing I do is just a hobby; I'm a million miles away from being a professional user etc, this is purely for personal enjoyment using GoPro's and similar, including my newly purchased GoPro MAX which I want to use for playing with 360 degree video.

Likewise, I'd like a monitor to get the most out of the graphics card etc for playing games in the "best" resolution/quality it's capable of.

If two monitors is the better option and cost becomes an issue, I will buy one monitor with the pc now and buy the second in a month or two when funds allow.

I'm sorry for constantly needing my "hand held" throughout this process but I'd sooner admit I'm clueless rather than pretend I know what I'm talking about ;)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thank you all for the replies.

I am prepared to spend what ever I "need" to to match the rest of the circa £2k pc build if that makes sense. I don't want to waste money on something that is "too good" for the pc but likewise I don't want to cheap out and get something not up to the task of maximising the PC's display potential. I will be guided by what the knowledgeable people on here suggest and spend accordingly.

I have two monitors on my current pc, both the same make/model and approx 23". I like the flexibility of having two monitors so am happy to stick with a similar set up or go with a single monitor if that makes more sense for the new pc.

The video editing I do is just a hobby; I'm a million miles away from being a professional user etc, this is purely for personal enjoyment using GoPro's and similar, including my newly purchased GoPro MAX which I want to use for playing with 360 degree video.

Likewise, I'd like a monitor to get the most out of the graphics card etc for playing games in the "best" resolution/quality it's capable of.

If two monitors is the better option and cost becomes an issue, I will buy one monitor with the pc now and buy the second in a month or two when funds allow.

I'm sorry for constantly needing my "hand held" throughout this process but I'd sooner admit I'm clueless rather than pretend I know what I'm talking about ;)
We'll need a max budget for both monitors as the range is absolutely huge.

Professional monitors are not cheap. Likewise, a good gaming monitor can run from £500 up to several thousand

Aza

Rising Star
The G7 is a exceptionally good monitor, and for video and photo editing IPS is a real positive, the problem is, you need to up the GPU to run it properly for gaming, 3070 Ti kinda territory.

Id love to have one, but for my it would mean a new GPU (which I should be holding off on for a year(ish) yet) and possibly even a new PSU, 750W is right on the cusp or just under. Plus, theres nothing wrong with the monitor I have really (and at 2 years old and £600.... I cant justify it.... you might notice I keep giving myself reasons why not to buy, it is a struggle...)

Give it a year and I may well revisit the idea (and actually have the spare cash to do it rather than eating savings). For you., it makes quite a bit of sense but would mean changing the GPU in Spyders proposed spec, adding £200 (but the 3070 Ti is on offer atm here too...which is why only an extra £200).

If a £2800 total outlay is within reason for you, i'd be sorely tempted, but im easily tempted...

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The G7 is a exceptionally good monitor, and for video and photo editing IPS is a real positive, the problem is, you need to up the GPU to run it properly for gaming, 3070 Ti kinda territory.

Id love to have one, but for my it would mean a new GPU (which I should be holding off on for a year(ish) yet) and possibly even a new PSU, 750W is right on the cusp or just under. Plus, theres nothing wrong with the monitor I have really (and at 2 years old and £600.... I cant justify it.... you might notice I keep giving myself reasons why not to buy, it is a struggle...)

Give it a year and I may well revisit the idea (and actually have the spare cash to do it rather than eating savings). For you., it makes quite a bit of sense but would mean changing the GPU in Spyders proposed spec, adding £200 (but the 3070 Ti is on offer atm here too...which is why only an extra £200).

If a £800 total outlay is within reason for you, i'd be sorely tempted, but im easily tempted...
It's not suitable for editing. The paramount importance of an editing monitor is colour accuracy. Thus is why there are specific professional monitors for this purpose.

At this level it would be madness to settle for a gaming monitor, especially Samsung who are well known to be dreadful for over the top saturation levels which is great for gaming but certainly not professional use. The pallette coverage also would not be suitable for professional use.

Aza

Rising Star
It's not suitable for editing. The paramount importance of an editing monitor is colour accuracy. Thus is why there are specific professional monitors for this purpose.

At this level it would be madness to settle for a gaming monitor, especially Samsung who are well known to be dreadful for over the top saturation levels which is great for gaming but certainly not professional use. The pallette coverage also would not be suitable for professional use.
Even though its an IPS screen? I thought colour accuracy was supposed to be better?
Ok...maybe my AOC Agon isnt such a bad thing afterall :(

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Even though its an IPS screen? I thought colour accuracy was supposed to be better?
Colour accuracy is of course better on an IPS but there are levels of better and levels of accuracy

For professional use you want one on the higher level better end of better for colour accuracy if that nonsense I just typed makes sense

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo

IPS only really offers a clarity and potential. It doesn't mean that the sRGB levels are going to be where they need to be though, or Rec.709.

Gaming tech is in the refresh, typically. As @SpyderTracks suggests, Samsung are absolutely notorious for their "dynamic" colour, which is not good for reproduction of accurate visuals.

For value, and for non-professional work, I would probably stick with a known brand with a decent sRGB value. This one seems to offer everything at a reasonable price:

Spending a bit more does get you up a tier though:

This is serious value for gaming at 1440p though. I don't think I could pass this offer up. I would prefer a curved screen for gaming personally, but this is purely down to personal taste. The flat panel offering is available also.

PC numpty

IPS only really offers a clarity and potential. It doesn't mean that the sRGB levels are going to be where they need to be though, or Rec.709.

Gaming tech is in the refresh, typically. As @SpyderTracks suggests, Samsung are absolutely notorious for their "dynamic" colour, which is not good for reproduction of accurate visuals.

For value, and for non-professional work, I would probably stick with a known brand with a decent sRGB value. This one seems to offer everything at a reasonable price:

Spending a bit more does get you up a tier though:

This is serious value for gaming at 1440p though. I don't think I could pass this offer up. I would prefer a curved screen for gaming personally, but this is purely down to personal taste. The flat panel offering is available also.

Thank you all for your invaluable help!

I think I will go with Scott's suggestion which makes a lot of sense. I will order the curved ASUS VG27WQ1B monitor for gaming at £249. and the Dell S2721QS monitor for video editing etc. I can actually get that Dell monitor for £230 direct from Dell with a discount code, so I think that's quite a good bargain.

g7GdO93.jpg