PC Game Deals!

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
BD3C30C7-83C3-474F-BCFC-5733A336E572.jpeg

Those were the days, although I fear we’re really showing our age right now 🤣

I loved those big old boxes where they’d put in a cloth map, which was actually a tea towel with something printed on it! Or even a code wheel to prevent piracy (I’m looking at you, Monkey Island 2 and your eleven floppy disks 😜)

D

Deleted member 41971

Those were the days, although I fear we’re really showing our age right now 🤣

I loved those big old boxes where they’d put in a cloth map, which was actually a tea towel with something printed on it! Or even a code wheel to prevent piracy (I’m looking at you, Monkey Island 2 and your eleven floppy disks 😜)

quote from the page

"Bloodnet = 12 disks
Beneath a Steel Sky = 15 Disks
Willy Beamish = 12 Disks
Biiing = 19 Disks (Required a HD tho!)
Rise of the Robots = 13 Disks"

Least GTA vicy city and I think san Andreas came with a map, these days games come with a lootbox and microtransactions,

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Kids today will never understand that kind of thing, will they? Remember spending part of your Saturday afternoon stood in WHSmith flicking through Amiga Power and CVG, looking to see if Cannon Fodder was all it was cracked up to be. And then when the game came out, buying an actual physical copy and reading the manual on the bus ride home 😁
I've got a September birthday (12th) and in 1997, I'd decided I was going to buy Ultimate Soccer Manager 2 from my local Woolworth's. I walked in the shop, found the box and took it to the counter, handed over my £15 or whatever it was, the disk and manual were found from behind the counter, put in the box and I walked out to get the bus home. Sat on the bus, I flicked through the manual and realised I'd been given USM 98, that year's game, and not the year before's game like I had been planning to buy. Those were the days... :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 41971

I've got a September birthday (12th) and in 1997, I'd decided I was going to buy Ultimate Soccer Manager 2 from my local Woolworth's. I walked in the shop, found the box and took it to the counter, handed over my £15 or whatever it was, the disk and manual were found from behind the counter, put in the box and I walked out to get the bus home. Sat on the bus, I flicked through the manual and realised I'd been given USM 98, that year's game, and not the year before's game like I had been planning to buy. Those were the days... :ROFLMAO:

ironically something like that happened to me, went into Game and bought Lego star wars the original trilogy, checked the box later and it was star wars the complete saga which was more expensive. 😁

Gavras

Master Poster
Late to the party, but I picked up Assassins Creed Odyssey at weekend, £23 for Ultimate edition.

unfortunately the offer has ended, its back up to £95 !!!

Epic has some decent offers on now and then, coupled with Steam sales, I don’t think I have paid full price for a game in over 10 years.

will wait to see how Star Wars Squadrons is before get it.

Next big one is Baldurs Gate 3

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Late to the party, but I picked up Assassins Creed Odyssey at weekend, £23 for Ultimate edition.

Epic has some decent offers on now and then, coupled with Steam sales, I don’t think I have paid full price for a game in over 10 years.

Yes! Star Wars Squadrons! Looking forward to that, I was a bit obsessed with TIE Fighter back in the good old days so I'm intrigued at seeing what it's going to be like. It probably won't be as complex, TIE Fighter used pretty much every button on the keyboard, but it looks like good clean fun 😁

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yes! Star Wars Squadrons! Looking forward to that, I was a bit obsessed with TIE Fighter back in the good old days so I'm intrigued at seeing what it's going to be like. It probably won't be as complex, TIE Fighter used pretty much every button on the keyboard, but it looks like good clean fun 😁
Have any of you played Star Wars: Battlefront II?

Gavras

Master Poster

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I boycotted that game on principle when I saw what was going on with the microtransactions. And by the time they removed them I'd lost any interest in it. I must admit that the VR space battle update for it looked good, though.
I did the same. I did like the look of it, but boycotted all EA games at that point.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
The memory that will stick with me forever is Street Fighter II. I just googled the release date and somethings from my memory don't tie up but I'll tell the tale as I remember it.

So it's new years eve, I think 1991 going into 92, my cousin got an Amiga 500+ for his Christmas with the Cartoon Classics Pack. I had never seen such a machine, the graphics were beyond anything I had seen and the load times were phenomenal (I had a ZX +2 at home). Sure the consoles had the load time but these games were something else visually, I was immediately awe struck so my plan all of 1992 was to get an Amiga for the following Christmas.

Throughout the year I'm constantly asking if i can get an Amiga. I'm continually giving my mind treats with all the latest games being previewed on Games Master, Bad Influence, et all.

Honourable mention to Zool but Street Fighter II had taken all of the lime light. I remember ordering it on pre-order in the late summer of 1992. I'm not sure exactly when it was released but I had played it in the arcade and I was blown away. I couldn't wait to get it on my very own Amiga. I think the game arrived around October so all I had was that SFII box, manual and 4 disks of awesome. I continually looked at the discs, opening it up, re-reading the manual, waiting for Christmas day so that I could finally play it on my own system.

On Christmas day I could barely contain my excitement.... I was a 12 year old moody tweenager who was too cool for school but I couldn't hold it in on this morning. I raced down the stairs, opened the obligatory "rest" of the pile at lightening speed so that I could get into my proper prize. I finally opened up the big box to find my very own Amiga 600 complete with the Quavers guy logo (Pushover).

The system was setup and in went SFII disk 1. Loaded up the game and saw it in all it's glory. I was absolutely over the moon until I tried to play as Dhalsim and needed to load disk 4....... it was corrupt. I could play as any character as long as they weren't on disk 4. I was absolutely gutted, especially when back in those days with the mail order returns etc it took another 3 weeks for me to get the damn game back 😂

My cousin ended up being a developer for a time. He was a coding monster and was into everything. I dabbled in Octamed Pro and some very basic coding on Aros Elite (I think that's what it was called). When everyone else was on consoles and, I felt, becoming a slave to the machine.... I had my Amiga, with it's Workbench and a million customisations to get your head around configuring and programming. It set me on the path of curiosity that led me to being pretty handy with all things tech and PC related.

Ahhh, the good old days :D

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The memory that will stick with me forever is Street Fighter II. I just googled the release date and somethings from my memory don't tie up but I'll tell the tale as I remember it.

So it's new years eve, I think 1991 going into 92, my cousin got an Amiga 500+ for his Christmas with the Cartoon Classics Pack. I had never seen such a machine, the graphics were beyond anything I had seen and the load times were phenomenal (I had a ZX +2 at home). Sure the consoles had the load time but these games were something else visually, I was immediately awe struck so my plan all of 1992 was to get an Amiga for the following Christmas.

Throughout the year I'm constantly asking if i can get an Amiga. I'm continually giving my mind treats with all the latest games being previewed on Games Master, Bad Influence, et all.

Honourable mention to Zool but Street Fighter II had taken all of the lime light. I remember ordering it on pre-order in the late summer of 1992. I'm not sure exactly when it was released but I had played it in the arcade and I was blown away. I couldn't wait to get it on my very own Amiga. I think the game arrived around October so all I had was that SFII box, manual and 4 disks of awesome. I continually looked at the discs, opening it up, re-reading the manual, waiting for Christmas day so that I could finally play it on my own system.

On Christmas day I could barely contain my excitement.... I was a 12 year old moody tweenager who was too cool for school but I couldn't hold it in on this morning. I raced down the stairs, opened the obligatory "rest" of the pile at lightening speed so that I could get into my proper prize. I finally opened up the big box to find my very own Amiga 600 complete with the Quavers guy logo (Pushover).

The system was setup and in went SFII disk 1. Loaded up the game and saw it in all it's glory. I was absolutely over the moon until I tried to play as Dhalsim and needed to load disk 4....... it was corrupt. I could play as any character as long as they weren't on disk 4. I was absolutely gutted, especially when back in those days with the mail order returns etc it took another 3 weeks for me to get the damn game back 😂

My cousin ended up being a developer for a time. He was a coding monster and was into everything. I dabbled in Octamed Pro and some very basic coding on Aros Elite (I think that's what it was called). When everyone else was on consoles and, I felt, becoming a slave to the machine.... I had my Amiga, with it's Workbench and a million customisations to get your head around configuring and programming. It set me on the path of curiosity that led me to being pretty handy with all things tech and PC related.

Ahhh, the good old days :D
Nostalgia central, that was very much appreciated!

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Oh dear. That must have been devastating!

I think my worst one was getting an original Sony PlayStation and Final Fantasy 7 for Christmas one year. I was so hyped for that game and could barely contain my excitement when I got to take it to my room and set it up. Imagine my disappointment when I got to the first save point and realised that that they hadn't bought me a memory card.

save.png

Still, young me wasn't going to be deterred as I simply HAD to play that game. So I stayed up all night playing it and pretty much got to the end of disc one, was just about to leave the Shinra HQ and begin the motorcycle chase. It was now morning so I decided to leave the PS switched on, leg it into town and see if I could pick up a memory card from Woolworths and then head back home and save my progress.

Bustled my way through all the Boxing Day sale shoppers and my mission for the memory card was a success. Got back home and my Ma was in my room vacuuming. She said 'hope you don't mind but I've just unplugged your game box to run the hoover round'.

morty.gif

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 41971

talking of bargains, a few months ago I picked up assassin's creed origins gold edition for £5 as it was reduced to £14.99 on epic and I had a £10 coupon, It always amazes me how quickly games prices fall, its only like a few months and deals are in place, I even see now football manager 2021 is on steam and epic with a 10% discount already, games not out until Oct/Nov time.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Worth a mention to those that like their shooters: The Halo Master Chief Collection (6 games total) which most of the Halo's up to and including Halo 4 is available on Game Pass for PC for free if you already have Game Pass or £30 to buy. Excellent series and games, even if they are hard. Halo 5 is also new on game Pass (at least on Xbox one anyway) as well as Halo Wars 1 and 2. Well worth playing the Halo series if you have never played before...or just want to relive the experience on PC.
I bought masterchief collection and play it on PC, so far they've released Reach, 1 and 3, it's well worth picking up, it's very cheap for the enjoyment you're getting.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Agreed. Am currently midway through the 4th game and, thanks to my uselessness when it comes to shooters, it has given me about 60 hours of gameplay!! Am thinking about buying it as ell so I have it when it leaves Games Pass eventually. Have been playing it on Xbox though so not sure whether the PC version differs at all
I think the PC version has additional graphical options so you can make it looks shinier :)