PC Game that got you hooked

Gus

Bronze Level Poster
Jetset Willy on the speccy 48k, then years of my life in various versions of Elite first on the spectrum, remember the lenslok security device Elite on the spectrum used? I nearly went blind using that on a dodgy TV. Then Eliteplus and The Frontier on Amiga 1200. Which came back all grown up but sadly online only, so I played it enough to get my Python but the online nature didn't appeal to me.

Pharad

Serious Sam haha, can't remember which one, must have been around 2005 ish, strangely enough I'm not a big fan of FPS or shooting games for that matter, even though I started playing mostly Serious Sam and CS 1.6

mishra

Rising Star
Ooh, that's a tough on. I remember being obsessed by stunt car racer for it's three dimensions and sense of flying over jumps. That was on either a 286-20 or 386.
View attachment 12206

OMG that was the game I couldn't remember the name of. Man thanks! I've spent months on this game. You could also build your own tracks and challenge your friends. Gosh what a game that was.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
OMG that was the game I couldn't remember the name of. Man thanks! I've spent months on this game. You could also build your own tracks and challenge your friends. Gosh what a game that was.

I remember that one too, was a lot of fun!

Verser

I doubt I remember the actual first game I played, but Wolfenstein 3D is certainly what got me. Since that, I feel very natural in first-person shooters.

Retrobeaver

So many people above mentioned Doom and Wolfenstein. My pick is Dangerous Dave in the Haunted Mansion, the overlooked masterpiece by id Software. Oh boy, I was both excited and scared to play it due to gruesome style. The game has two sequels which I love less, I haven't finished those. I guess I could name Dave one of favorite games of mine, the other two are this and this one.

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
First proper hook for me was probably Tomb Raider on the PS1. It was the first game that I remember coming in from school an being completely obsessed with completing.

Honourable mentions:

Paperboy, Frogger, Dizzy

Mustafo95

Silver Level Poster
Must have been Winning Eleven 2001, I was like 6 years old, it was so good in the moment. I can't believe that game looked so realistic at the time