PC Headset - USB or Analog? and soundcards

DaelpixPhotos

Super Star
A mate of mine sent me a message asking why don't I look for a decent headset.

I've never thought about it really. But I've been looking on the interenet for some and I have a couple of makes in mind, Turtlebeach and Mad Catz. Although I haven't looked at makes apart from the Mad Catz F.R.E.Q. 7.

I'm just wondering what your preference is between an analog and USB connection and soundcards?

The only thing about using a headset instead of speakers is that I'll be putting them on my head all the time, but they can produce quality sound. I'll have an advantage over COD and Battlefield players who can't hear every footstep and grenade going off. I miss my Turtlebeach P22's.

Any advice would be most helpful

DaelpixPhotos

Super Star
Gonna buy a Turtle Beach (Major League Gaming) Ear Force PX22 Headset since my mum said no to some speakers that would cost me £120

tom_gr7

Life Serving
hmmmm, analogue 5.1 headset+ Asus dxg pcie soundcard.

can't post suggestions on me tablet, but I'd suggest trittons

bigben

Master Poster
Yeah, I've heard good things about trittons.
The Steelseries Siberia V2 (link in my signature) is a really good usb headset. I'm really happy with mine - good sound, comfy, pretty blue lights what more could you ask for?

DaelpixPhotos

Super Star
I can't afford them now Astro's.

I was thinking about the Mad Catz F.R.E.Q. 7. but I think they're a little too expensive. I would rather have some under £100 preferably, so any suggestions between Turtle Beach? and maybe a different brand?

I would like to stay with Turtle beach if I can as I think they are a great brand to buy.

EDIT: Do all headsets let you hear footsteps/other small things clearly?

Last edited:

bigben

Master Poster
. I would rather have some under £100 preferably, so any suggestions between Turtle Beach? and maybe a different brand?

I would like to stay with Turtle beach if I can as I think they are a great brand to buy.

EDIT: Do all headsets let you hear footsteps/other small things clearly?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/pc-ac...2-gaming-headset-frost-blue-18781428-pdt.html

My personal experience with turtle beach is that you are paying for the brand name. The siberia v2 makes my turtle beaches (don't remember which model but they cost me ~£50) sound awful in comparison.

My steelseries will pick up all sorts of small things, people in the room next door reloading, footsteps etc.

I know Grimezy would also recommend them (see this thread)

Last edited:

DaelpixPhotos

Super Star
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/pc-ac...2-gaming-headset-frost-blue-18781428-pdt.html

My personal experience with turtle beach is that you are paying for the brand name. The siberia v2 makes my turtle beaches (don't remember which model but they cost me ~£50) sound awful in comparison.

My steelseries will pick up all sorts of small things, people in the room next door reloading, footsteps etc.

I know Grimezy would also recommend them (see this thread)

Why would you choose the SteelSeries headset over Turtle Beach?

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I wouldn't choose turtlebeach.

Never really heard anything good about them and imo the name is only well known because of console success.

bigben

Master Poster
Why would you choose the SteelSeries headset over Turtle Beach?

Never really heard anything good about them and imo the name is only well known because of console success.
this

and

I have only tried my own Turtle Beaches (edit: just dug them out of my spare parts drawer - they are x11) and my friends x12. I know that compared to the Steelseries they are inferior in comfort, build quality (when I used to play console I broke a pair and replaced it with a new Turtle Beach), and sound quality.

Last edited:

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I hated my turtle beaches, most uncomfortable things on the planet, like literally I used to have to stick a hood up on my head and then put the headset OVER them because they made my ears ache.

In my opinion the critical thing with headsets is comfort. There's no point in having the best sound on the planet if you can't stand wearing them on your head. I would check out your local PC world and see if they have a display stand of gaming headsets to give you an idea of what feels good; I did this myself and out of 6 or 7 sets including Razer, Corsair, Logitech, Tritton, etc I found the Steelseries Siberia V2's to be far more superior comfort wise. They have an elasticated headband meaning there's no way to adjust the size at all, it just fits no matter who you are.

The sound quality is also fantastic. I don't have a soundcard so opted for a USB version which has its own built in soundcard (see info in the thread that bigben linked). This built-in soundcard basically has the features within it to highlight gaming noises such as footsteps and grenades bouncing, etc. The software for the headset is also fantastic and lets choose between a few default setups aimed at Performance gaming, immersion gaming, music use, general use, etc etc.

If you can afford the V2's I would definitely recommend them purely because they're a safe bet in both comfort and sound quality. Definitely check out your local PC world and see if they have any on display :)

Boozad

Prolific Poster
I opted for a CoolerMaster CM Storm Sonuz analogue set and personally I think they're great for around fifty quid. Comfortable and give brilliant sound for gaming, they pick up all the noises you'd want, even using the onboard sound.

DaelpixPhotos

Super Star
I hated my turtle beaches, most uncomfortable things on the planet, like literally I used to have to stick a hood up on my head and then put the headset OVER them because they made my ears ache.

In my opinion the critical thing with headsets is comfort. There's no point in having the best sound on the planet if you can't stand wearing them on your head. I would check out your local PC world and see if they have a display stand of gaming headsets to give you an idea of what feels good; I did this myself and out of 6 or 7 sets including Razer, Corsair, Logitech, Tritton, etc I found the Steelseries Siberia V2's to be far more superior comfort wise. They have an elasticated headband meaning there's no way to adjust the size at all, it just fits no matter who you are.

The sound quality is also fantastic. I don't have a soundcard so opted for a USB version which has its own built in soundcard (see info in the thread that bigben linked). This built-in soundcard basically has the features within it to highlight gaming noises such as footsteps and grenades bouncing, etc. The software for the headset is also fantastic and lets choose between a few default setups aimed at Performance gaming, immersion gaming, music use, general use, etc etc.

If you can afford the V2's I would definitely recommend them purely because they're a safe bet in both comfort and sound quality. Definitely check out your local PC world and see if they have any on display :)

I'll consider the Sibera ones.

Are there any negatives about the headset?

bigben

Master Poster
Are there any negatives about the headset?

The only thing I can think of that could be seen as a negative is that the cable is short, however they supply a USB extension cable in the box which sorts that issue out - however I like the short cable as it looks neater.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Is that all? lol.

That doesn't worry me at all lol

Well we've told you that they're comfortable and that the sound quality is good... So what were you really expecting us to come up with? I'm fairly sure headsets only have a limited range of features to scrutinise :D

Only thing I would add is the noise reduction to other people isn't that great i.e. if I listen to music using them, people in the room can normally hear it pretty clearly. This isn't loud enough to wake people up at night or anything but is probably the only negative thing I can think of :) Basically I can't listen to Barbie Girl - Aqua while my missus is in the room without her knowing about it; something to bear in mind ;)

Edit: Oh and it can be a bit lame not having a mixamp to mix between voice volume and game volume. Whenever I use in-game chat I'm always having to mess with the audio settings to turn the game volume down whereas if you forked out for Astro's you get a mixamp so you can literally just scroll a wheel and it changes it. I don't use voice chat much but can see how it would frustrate somebody who does.

bigben

Master Poster
) Basically I can't listen to Barbie Girl - Aqua while my missus is in the room without her knowing about it; something to bear in mind ;).

How on Earth do you get away with sitting on your computer with headphones on with your mrs in the room? If I tried that she'd be out the door faster than I could say goodbye..

if you forked out for Astro's you get a mixamp so you can literally just scroll a wheel and it changes it

Does that actually work though? I had the mixamp on my Turtle Beaches which worked on the xbox but not on PC.

Tom DWC

Just on a general note I'm always more inclined to lean towards analog headphones purely because if you get a better soundcard, they will sound better, wheras USB headsets are only ever going to sound as good as the USB amp.