PC Is stressing me out can any body help

Karlos

Silver Level Poster
HELLO

i was wondering if you can help me today i had to do a clean windows install, i followed all the PCS booklet ect Evry think has been put back on what was on there before i have made sure all the drivers are up to date ect but i still having a few problems.-

1. now when i load up windows it take a long time (3/4 Min +) before i done a clean install it was loading up within 1min or so but not the amount of time it taking now i could make a coffee in the time it takes lol, like i said before i have made sure all the drivers are up to date and all the windows updates are up to date but i still have no joy..

2.since i have done the new clean install the windows program "back And Restore" is not working as it should i go to load it up and it load like it used to, then i have set up what & where is going to get copyed to: Internal WD 2TB Green where it used to be saved but when i go and click backup it copys the files but it doesn't get completed as there is a error message saying" unable to complete,please make sure you have enough space on the drive were it getting saved...or some thing like that it has a error code 0x81000031,...i know i have load of storage space as it no were near full it only <2% used...

i have been looking on the net to see why this (2) is doing this for..i have read that it some ting todo with system Reserve as it only got 30mb left were it should have around 100mb or something just under this is why the backup and restore is not working probably because it ot have enough room to make a shadow or some thing....this may be all rubbish information what i have be reading.. i havent done anythink i thought id ask the Pro instead of reading all them forms eck ect

today i have spend HOURS and House ready and re-install windows ect and now im stuck so please could u help!!!!

ReeceN

Silver Level Poster
Well I'll just have a pop at giving you some advice until someone with more knowledge of Backup and Restore may be able to help.

To my knowledge the system reserved partition (100MB in Windows 7) is only used for BitLocker, Windows Recovery Environment and Windows boot files and furthermore is only used for version of Windows 7 with BitLocker i.e. Windows 7 Ultimate, Business and Enterprise, so if you are using a Windows 7 version that is not one of them, it won't even be using the System Reserved Partition (could have been installed when PCS ran a test version of Windows on the system).

However, if you are actually using one of the BitLocker enabled versions then I suppose you could remove the System Reserved partition and re-install Windows again to make sure it has been cleared correctly if for some reason Back and Restore is using it..

Furthermore error 0x81000031 according the Microsoft relates to the Custom Libraries used for the backup are invalid i.e. Windows is unable to locate the libraries that are setup to backup. So make sure it's setup again correctly before you run the backup procedure.
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975692)

If this does not work, to better understand your issue could you please provide the following:

1. Was your computer running slow before you re-installed windows i.e. slow to boot up, constant freezing etc
2. Do or did you receive any Blue Screen errors, if so could you please provide your MiniDump files (these contain the error information) which are located at C:\Windows\MiniDump
3. Which version of Windows 7 are you using

Mango(MarkWright)

Enthusiast
I'm just gonna take a gander at what the problem might be, you remember when you deleted that 2TB of files? You probably deleted some critical files, that's all I can suggest..

Karlos

Silver Level Poster
Well I'll just have a pop at giving you some advice until someone with more knowledge of Backup and Restore may be able to help.

To my knowledge the system reserved partition (100MB in Windows 7) is only used for BitLocker, Windows Recovery Environment and Windows boot files and furthermore is only used for version of Windows 7 with BitLocker i.e. Windows 7 Ultimate, Business and Enterprise, so if you are using a Windows 7 version that is not one of them, it won't even be using the System Reserved Partition (could have been installed when PCS ran a test version of Windows on the system).

However, if you are actually using one of the BitLocker enabled versions then I suppose you could remove the System Reserved partition and re-install Windows again to make sure it has been cleared correctly if for some reason Back and Restore is using it..

Furthermore error 0x81000031 according the Microsoft relates to the Custom Libraries used for the backup are invalid i.e. Windows is unable to locate the libraries that are setup to backup. So make sure it's setup again correctly before you run the backup procedure.
(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975692)

If this does not work, to better understand your issue could you please provide the following:

1. Was your computer running slow before you re-installed windows i.e. slow to boot up, constant freezing etc
2. Do or did you receive any Blue Screen errors, if so could you please provide your MiniDump files (these contain the error information) which are located at C:\Windows\MiniDump
3. Which version of Windows 7 are you using
Iv got windows 7 pro running.. Do u think I should start over n delete the system reserve load windows on again?

No I had no blue screen what so ever n no I haven't had no error messages

ReeceN

Silver Level Poster
Was your computer running slow before you re-installed windows i.e. slow to boot up, constant freezing etc?

If your running pro then I don't think your copy of Windows should be using the reserved partition.

However, just to test that your OS is not for some reason corrupted you could do either of the following:

1. Run chkdsk by going to 'My Computer', right click on your HDD which windows is installed on, click on the 'Tools' tab, click 'Check now...' under Error-checking and select just the top check box.

After the scan, if the problems still persist, tick the second check box and run the scan again. This is going to take a good few hours so find something else to do in the mean while ;p.

If no errors have been found or the problem still persists after windows has tried to fix any errors, try step 2.
If Windows has found many bad sectors, it may mean that your hard drive needs replacing as lots of bad sectors usually just get worse and ending up with your hard drive just failing to function correctly as 2 of mine did.

Note:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- The top box 'Automatically Fix file system errors' just checks to make sure windows is installed correctly and will attempt to replace broken or missing files. This may take an hour or so.

- The second box 'Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors' will scan your whole hard drive for bad sectors. Bad sectors are basically parts of the hard drive with tiny microscopic defects which destroy files which may have been stored in the same location.
Bad sectors are absolutely normal, however over time these can become increasingly worse and may be the cause of you having issues with your operating system, especially making it slow down. This may take quite a few hours depending on the size of your drive.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To be double sure to find out the health of your drive, you can also download the Western Digital Data Lifeguard tool, run it in administrator mode (i.e. right click the .exe file and choose 'Run as administrator'.
You can download it here: http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=608&sid=3&lang=en

Run both the Quick Test and Extended test to see how the health of your drive is keeping.
If it is unable to complete the Extended Test it would be best to contact WD via support.wdc.com.

- Remove your 'System Reserved' partition by:
1) Start and type in the search box "computer management" (without the apostrophes) then press enter
2) In the Computer Management tool click 'Disk Management' in the left hand side menu which is located under 'Storage'.
3) Right click on the 'System Reserved' partition box (100MB) and select 'Delete Volume...'

- Use the Windows disk to re-install windows again as new over the old windows partition.

Last edited:

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
You can delete the system reserved partition when doing a clean install,delete all partitions on the OS drive during the process of a clean install.

Karlos

Silver Level Poster
You can delete the system reserved partition when doing a clean install,delete all partitions on the OS drive during the process of a clean install.

just noticed that mate thanks :) also when i done that it saif that need need to make another parition for system file (or something like that) and when i clicked ok it went to and called it system reserve so i have no choose but too have it, im just installing windows again maybe i dont something wrong i dont know , so i thought it worth another go!!! worth a try i think

baron75mk2

Banned
I had one of thse caviar green drives in a previous computer & kept having the same issue with windows backup & restore telling me there was not enough space on the drive , i sorted it out in the end by converting it to a dynamic disk in disk management , dont ask me why this worked as i just tried it as a suggestion from a forum ( i also had the long boot up of windows this was also tied to the WD green as if i removed it boot up was back to normal - once i formatted it to a dynamic disk it all stopped) - all i can say it they are strange HDDs indeed.

Give it a try (note to return it to a normal "simple volume" everything has to be wiped first) :eek:

Last edited:

Karlos

Silver Level Poster
Well I think I may have sorted it I done a clean install of windows n I wiped the system reserve, the it made a new one what has seemed todo the trick.. I'm not useing a green drive I'm useing black what ment to be quicker ect... I have installed all the drivers n the main programms , and it seem to be ok I still need to install all the window updates ect so only time will tell, I have manged to also sort out the System backup n restore out, when I installed windows last I didn't wipe the system reserve so there was no room for a shadow copy.. And there are two sets of boot files so this is why I wiped it and now "touch wood" it working normal so far