PC needed for work-based software

Scoped Badger

Silver Level Poster
Hi all, I hope you're well. I'm here because I need some help. My role at work is changing and they've asked me to find a PC that'll help me with that.

Uses: Purely work-based software. No gaming at all, no streaming. It's sole use is going to be regularly running both AutoCAD and Revit 2024.

Monitor: Simply, I'm going to need a monitor.

Max Budget: I'll be honest, I'm not paying for any of this, the company is. The problem is that neither of the 'higher ups' have any idea what they're looking for so the budgets talked about at the moment are unrealistic. Basically it's my job to show them the kind of ball park cost a PC like this is going to cost them.

From what I've initially read, Revit is going to be the resource-hungry software to run.

If anyone could help me further, I'd really appreciate it.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi all, I hope you're well. I'm here because I need some help. My role at work is changing and they've asked me to find a PC that'll help me with that.

Uses: Purely work-based software. No gaming at all, no streaming. It's sole use is going to be regularly running both AutoCAD and Revit 2024.

Monitor: Simply, I'm going to need a monitor.

Max Budget: I'll be honest, I'm not paying for any of this, the company is. The problem is that neither of the 'higher ups' have any idea what they're looking for so the budgets talked about at the moment are unrealistic. Basically it's my job to show them the kind of ball park cost a PC like this is going to cost them.

From what I've initially read, Revit is going to be the resource-hungry software to run.

If anyone could help me further, I'd really appreciate it.
With AutoCAD do you know if you're doing any flow analysis as that hugely increases requirements?

How complex are the models being worked on? Do you have any idea of how many parts and what sort of tolerances?

With these 2 apps, it's literally scale up as your budget can reach based on the models being worked on. If there's any kind of flow analysis, then Threadripper is definitely the way to go, but hugely increases the price.

Similarly with GPU's. While the RTX line of cards which are developed for consumers will often still have excellent performance for rendering, they're designed for games, and that's what the drivers are optimised for. At this level, if you buy a professional GPU, they cost substantially more, but it's because the work going into the drivers is specifically targeted to professional applications like Revit and CAD, plus the support going forwards is heavily focussed in this area too. So a professional grade GPU would be recommended which again pushes up costs.

Last edited: