Pc not booting

snipes

Bronze Level Poster
Hi all

Started up my pc the other day and I got the 'overclock failed' message. Strange as I'm not running an overclock so I clicked on the option to restore defaults and restart. All was fine until my pc did a windows update the next day. I turned the pc off when done and started it up this morning to a 'bootmgr not found'. Checked my startup settings the boot device priority was set to a different HD than my windows one. So....changed it back and now it won't start up. Startup repair can find no fix either. Any ideas guys??

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
How many HDD's have you got installed - we can only see one on your order? Set the 1st boot device back to the WD caviar Black. Have you installed any IDE drives?

Gorman

Author Level
Sounds like the BIOS has reset for whatever reason and like PCS suggests the machine is trying to boot from the wrong device.

snipes

Bronze Level Poster
Hi
I've got two other hdd's installed but I've now set the boot priority back to the caviar. Spoke to tech help and I've done two system restores and no luck. I really don't want to reinstall windows. Just got my pc running how I like it with all my progs etc

snipes

Bronze Level Poster
Yes mate. Spoke to a guy and he asked me to do system restores which didnt seem to work....however...I fiddled about in the bios and changed the marvell9123 setting from ide to ahci (dont ask me why) and it booted up saying system restore has worked. Now is this working because of the system restore or because of my genius bios knowledge or should I set the marvell setting back? Also we thiught it was a problem caused by the windows update I did so should I just not update??

Gorman

Author Level
Set the SATA controller to AHCI under storage configuration, and set the boot drive to the correct one.

Trace the sata cable back to the board from your drive that windows is installed on:

51DX42qHWHL.jpg

Does it go to one of the gray sata ports?

Boot with the above settings and hammer f8, on the boot menu select the correct hdd and hammer f8 again, boot to safe mode if given the option, post results, cheers.

misterdave

Enthusiast
I fear that there might be a configuration issue between BIOS and the corsair RAM.

Could you check BIOS for the following settings

AI Tweaker Page
DRAM-Frequency set to DDR3-1600
DRAM-Bus Voltage set to 1.65v

DRAM Timings (sub menu below DRAM-Freq)
DRAM CAS# Lat 9
DRAM RAS# to CAS# 9
DRAM RAS# PRE time 9
DRAM RAS# ACT time 24

This should fix the OC error, if it keeps occurring it might be failing RAM. Maybe give tech support a call for some new RAM

snipes

Bronze Level Poster
Hi guys thanks for the replys

Pc seems to be fine atm after what I did in my previous post. I've set SATA controller to AHCI too. As for the RAM settings they r all on auto, should I manually change these as misterdave has stated or just leave it all and hope the system restore has done the trick??? Thanks again.

misterdave

Enthusiast
If your PC is running fine leave them for now, but should you receive and RAM BSODs or OC Failed messages again try the settings.

These should have been set during the testing stage, but if for any reason the CMOS was reset they would default back to AUTO.

Sleinous

Author Level
Hi guys thanks for the replys

Pc seems to be fine atm after what I did in my previous post. I've set SATA controller to AHCI too. As for the RAM settings they r all on auto, should I manually change these as misterdave has stated or just leave it all and hope the system restore has done the trick??? Thanks again.

Auto is default clock speed for ur RAM, profile should be set to XMP otherwise you likely wont get the 1600mhz speeds. Unless ur using an AMD cpu, they dont have xmp and need manually entering of timings etc (dave's) post

snipes

Bronze Level Poster
Sorry what's XMP? Also I had to do a fresh windows install when I first got the pc due to a faulty hdd which u guys replaced so the ram settings will defo be on default as I didn't change them. So r we saying I should manually change the ram settings as per misterdaves post. Thanks for all the help btw.

Sleinous

Author Level
ram settings are defined by bios, xmp xtreme memory profile is a profile that auto sets all the timings etc of ur ram to enable it to work at whatever speed its meant to (1333mhz or 1600mhz or 2000mhz) for example.

snipes

Bronze Level Poster
Soooo..just to clarify. I should change my ram setting to xmp right? Will this change the settings misterdave proposed or should I do these too. ta

misterdave

Enthusiast
Yes.

I always set RAM settings using XMP or manual if XMP is not available.

Also changing your HDD wont affect BIOS in anyway, so if they were set before they should have unless the CMOS battery was removed or you were instructed to clear it.

snipes

Bronze Level Poster
Ok I've set XMP and after my system restore from earlier it all seems to be back to normal. Hopefully all is well now. Thanx for all ur help:) oh yes just on a side note, after
my restore earlier I noticed my CPU fan was going constantly at like over 2000rpm and making a racket. My temps were never higher than 35-40 so I turned on q-fan in bios and this seemed to return it to normal. Any ideas why this jus began happening and should I continue to use q-fan or find a better fan operator??
Thanx again chaps

Sleinous

Author Level
Only a bios update (as far as im aware) can reset that q fan :S Maybe someone can explain another situation where this occurs. Odd.