PC not running as I think it should for its value.

DeFrxg

Bronze Level Poster
I seem to get low GPU usage and my CPU seems to max out on 1 or 2 cores whilst playing PUBG. Usually only pulling 100 fps ish on low settings... :/

Case
CORSAIR CRYSTAL SERIES 570X RGB GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i9 10 Core Processor i9-9900X (3.5GHz) 19.25MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® PRIME X299-A: ATX, USB 3.1, SATA 6 GB/s, RGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3000MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!

down_right_arrow.gif

Get Control & Wolfenstein: Young Blood w/ select GeForce RTX GPUs!
1st Storage Drive
1TB Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)

down_right_arrow.gif

Choose from 6 Incredible Ubisoft Titles FREE with select SAMSUNG SSDs!
2nd Storage Drive
2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB CACHE
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H60 2018 Hydro Cooler w/ PCS Ultra Quiet Fans
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Extra Case Fans
2x 120mm Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)
Sound Card
ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking
WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 6 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language

DeFrxg

Bronze Level Poster
How long have you had the PC and what do you use it for?

What monitor are you gaming on?

I've had the PC about 8 months, I use it for gaming and just general internet browsing.

My monitor is : ASUS VG248QE 24" 1920 x 1080 144 Hz, 1 ms.

DeFrxg

Bronze Level Poster
Looks like for some reason PUBG is only using 2 cores instead of more.

Reading https://www.legitreviews.com/pubg-cpu-core-benchmarks-many-cores-need_197719 it looks as tho you somehow have threading disabled.

Someone with more expertise will hopefully be along to help you

I have hyperthreading enabled. PUBG just seems to only max out two cores and the others stay below 30%.

This is a screenshot of HW Monitor whilst running PUBG.

As you can see CPU #0 and CPU #16 maxing out.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I know nothing about PUBG but it's a mistake to imagine that a multi-threaded application will use each logical processor equally. Some threads will be more CPU hungry than others and your screen shot shows clearly that all logical processors are being used at some point. I don't see your 100% usage of three logical processes to necessarily indicate a problem, that might just be how the game operates.

I would start by confirming that the game is setup properly. I have no idea whether there is a configuration mechanism for the game (but I'd expect there to be one) and if there is then that's where I'd start looking.

DeFrxg

Bronze Level Poster
I know nothing about PUBG but it's a mistake to imagine that a multi-threaded application will use each logical processor equally. Some threads will be more CPU hungry than others and your screen shot shows clearly that all logical processors are being used at some point. I don't see your 100% usage of three logical processes to necessarily indicate a problem, that might just be how the game operates.

I would start by confirming that the game is setup properly. I have no idea whether there is a configuration mechanism for the game (but I'd expect there to be one) and if there is then that's where I'd start looking.

It's only making use of 2 logical processors and GPU usage is less than 50%? I'm getting about 80 fps on a 3k rig lol. Surely that's not correct?

polycrac

Rising Star
I get around 120fps on PUBG, with a 2700x and a 2080ti. That's playing at 1440p, everything max except shadows (I need to see those pesky hidden snipers!). At 1080p, with the specs you have you really should be getting more fps. Its been a while since I checked, but I recall all my cores showing use and none being maxed out at 100%. I'll check in a bit when I get home.

DeFrxg

Bronze Level Poster
I get around 120fps on PUBG, with a 2700x and a 2080ti. That's playing at 1440p, everything max except shadows (I need to see those pesky hidden snipers!). At 1080p, with the specs you have you really should be getting more fps. Its been a while since I checked, but I recall all my cores showing use and none being maxed out at 100%. I'll check in a bit when I get home.

Haha yeah exactly! It never feels stable too whatever FPS I have, always spikes and stutters and feels horrible to play.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
If you don't see a gain in FPS, or more obviously a drop.... then it suggests a V-Sync limitation being switched on.

Could you check your NVidia settings to see if V-Sync is switched on, if it is... disable it. Would suggest to me your monitor is 100hz (strange value, overclocked?)

DeFrxg

Bronze Level Poster
If you don't see a gain in FPS, or more obviously a drop.... then it suggests a V-Sync limitation being switched on.

Could you check your NVidia settings to see if V-Sync is switched on, if it is... disable it. Would suggest to me your monitor is 100hz (strange value, overclocked?)

V-Sync is switched off and my monitor is 144 hz. I also have another monitor which is 60hz however I don't game on that one.

polycrac

Rising Star
In fairness, mine can dip to under 100 and spike at 160 (165Hz monitor). The Gsync smooths it out fine though, I don't notice unless I'm watching the fps counter.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Something is locked then. There's no way you would get the same FPS on low settings as you would on high settings without there being a limiting factor somewhere.

Have you tried any benchmarking with 3DMark? If you can, run a firestrike test to see what your score is.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I don't know Furmark or how it relates. 3DMark allows comparisons with similar specs. It's a free download from Steam. If you install it and run Firestrike I'll be able to see straight away where there's an issue.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It's only making use of 2 logical processors and GPU usage is less than 50%? I'm getting about 80 fps on a 3k rig lol. Surely that's not correct?
How do you know its only using two logical processors? They're all in use at some point?

In the absence of other information this sounds like an application issue to me....

Sent using Tapatalk

DeFrxg

Bronze Level Poster
I don't know Furmark or how it relates. 3DMark allows comparisons with similar specs. It's a free download from Steam. If you install it and run Firestrike I'll be able to see straight away where there's an issue.

Installed and ran firestrike, here are my results.

Not sure if this is what I should be getting?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Those scores don't look low enough to explain the limited performance you're describing.

Frankly when I asked what monitor you had I was expecting you to tell me it was a 100hz one and you had vsync turned on.

The furmark score, having a quick google, isn't awful either as far as I can see.

Maybe it and the Firestrike GPU scores are a little low, but not by so very much.