PC not starting up correctly?

chrcar59

Silver Level Poster
I have just installed all my broadband programs, installed Firefox & AVG.

Yet upon restarting, windows is not starting up.

It shows the Windows logo but then just goes to a black screen and does not go to log in page?

Help please? :saddam:

chrcar59

Silver Level Poster
I've somehow managed to get the pc going again.

The last thing I done before this error happened was installing windows updates, now I'm too scared to install these again. There are 7 to install :(

Rakk

The Awesome
When you were installing them last time, did you stop it before it was finished, if you do that it will often screw it up horribly.

If you don't remember the updates/installs being prematurely stopped, then I suggest you do a system restore before trying to install them again, cos then if it all goes wrong again, you can just restore to what it is now.

If it happens again, you could try installing them one at a time and find out which one is causing the problems.

Windows updates are generally a very good idea to do, so I'd definitely try to reinstall them.

chrcar59

Silver Level Poster
No, I only restarted after they had finished.

I decided to install them again, restarted and it's now fine.

Odd!

Disappointed with PCS promising to call me back but no such call. But hey ho, the pc is working again now. (unless they monitor these forums and have found out its all good now?....)

keynes

Multiverse Poster
No, I only restarted after they had finished.

I decided to install them again, restarted and it's now fine.

Odd!

Disappointed with PCS promising to call me back but no such call. But hey ho, the pc is working again now. (unless they monitor these forums and have found out its all good now?....)

They do monitor the forum :) so I'd suspect the latter.