PC quite loud

biscuity

Hi, i recently bought a PC from PCS, Its a really nice PC, however it seems to be running really loud, like the fans are on max at all times or something. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what i could do to reduce this noise?

My PC is:

Case COOLERMASTER ELITE 311 BLUE CASE
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i5 Quad Core Processor i5-4690K (3.5GHz) 6MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® H97M-E: Micro-ATX, LG1150, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM) 8GB KINGSTON DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)

Graphics Card 4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 760 - 2 DVI, HDMI, DP - 3D Vision Ready
1st Hard Disk 120GB KINGSTON V300 SSD, SATA 6 Gb (450MB/R, 450MB/W)
2nd Hard Disk 1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 32MB CACHE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM

Memory Card Reader INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply CORSAIR 750W CS SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling Super Quiet 22dBA Triple Copper Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler
Extra Case Fans 1 x 12CM Black Case Fan (configured to extract from rear/roof)

Many thanks
Biscuity

steaky360

First thing would be to check the temps of your rig, if its running hot then that's why its loud :)

I'd also have a look at where the fans are plugged into, if they're connected to a molex and plugged straight into the PSU for example then they'll be running at max speed all the time.

biscuity

I dont think its running hot, but ill find a way to check when i get home.
And if the Fans are plugged into a molex and straight to the PSU that'll be the way PCS made it, so i presume the only way to connect it without an extra piece of hardware?

steaky360

Potentially, might have just been the 'neatest' way to route the cables (or they might not reach I guess) - depending on how its setup you should have a few fan headers on your motherboard (basically they are the pins that you can plug the fans into).

If your fans are plugged into those already then you can use ASUS Suite and fanexpert2 (program made to be used with your motherboard) to control the profiles used to control your fans (hopefully).

biscuity

ok, hopefully the latter as that sounds much easier, ill have a look when i get home see where everything is connected

thanks for your help steaky :)

Last edited:

keynes

Multiverse Poster
The gpu could be getting hot due to the limited cooling provided by the coolermaster 311 case (not quite a gaming case), you could try to improve the cable management in your case to improve temps and follow Steakys advice with the fans

biscuity

What programs would you recommend for checking the Temperatures of CPU and GPU?
Lots of programs and i dont know which to use :/

biscuity

ok, so the rear fan appears to be plugged into the PSU via a Molex and the Rear fan into the Motherboard. Is it possible to change the Front Fan so that its plugged into the Motherboard, or will it being connected to a molex render that impossible?

Also, with me just browsing the web, the CPU is at 29c according to ASUS suite, that seem about right to you?

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
What programs would you recommend for checking the Temperatures of CPU and GPU?
Lots of programs and i dont know which to use :/

You can use Speccy by piriform or hwmonitor by CPUID, they should cover all components.

Take readings both when doing minor tasks and when under load like gaming.

biscuity

Ok, thanks for your help everyone, turns out the front fan cable wasn't long enough to attach to the motherboard, so it was attached to the PSU and running at MAX all the time, i checked the temperatures using hwMonitor as suggested by Spyder and the GPU and CPU were running at around 30c under load and when idling. I checked the cabling as keynes suggested and the cables seemed to be fine to me, all nicely organised and grouped together. So i simply got an extension cable and changed the fan to be plugged into the second fan slot on the motherboard, and with the ASUS Suite thing its easy to control them if it starts to run hot.

Hope this will also help anyone also having a similar issue

many thanks
Biscuity