Pc Randomly turning off

Dinokilla7

Case: ZALMAN Z11 PLUS BLACK MID TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU): AMD A10-5800K Quad Core APU (3.8GHz) & Radeon™ HD 7660D Graphics
Motherboard: ASUS® F2A85-M: (M-ATX, DDR3, USB 3.0, 6Gb/s)
Memory (RAM): 8GB KINGSTON DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card: Integrated AMD Radeon HD 7000 Series Graphics
Memory - 1st Hard Disk: 1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 32MB CACHE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive: 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Memory Card Reader: INTERNAL 52 IN 1 CARD READER (XD, MS, CF, SD, etc) + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT
Power Supply: CORSAIR 350W VS SERIES™ VS-350 POWER SUPPLY
Operating System: Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence
DVD Recovery Media: Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) DVD with paper sleeve

I've had my computer for just under a year now, (Got it in November last year) and I've had a few problems but I've learnt to cope with them. But now, it randomly turns off. No warning, just turns off, as if I had turned it off at the socket. I don't know why it does it, but its never done it before.
It does it when I'm playing a game called Warlock master of the arcane, but I don't think that's the problem considering I played it for around 6 hours and nothing happened. But, we did have a power problem where all the switches turned off at the electrical box. And it was after this power cut that it started turning off after around 10-20 mins of playing the game.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
It sounds like 1 of 2 things, 1 is shutting down to protect from high temps on the CPU. The other is the electrical surge caused a problem with a component.

first one is easy to figure out. Play your game and keep an eye on the temps with some temperature monitoring software. see how hot it gets.

The second option is PSU damage (if it was motherboard or anything else it would likely not have started at all) the PSU could have been damaged and when under load it fails. Are you still in warranty?

Dinokilla7

I played my game and measured the tempature using some software and it was around 70c-80c I don't know if thats bad or not, but I measured it quite a while back aswell because I had (and still have) problems with it and 70-80 seems to be the average.
I don't know if I'm still under warranty but I could probably buy a new one if needed.
But is there any way to see which it is?

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
You wont be able to get a new PCS warranty if yours has already lapsed.

You will see on your order history at the bottom what warranty you bought. Silver is 1 year, gold is 2 years and platinum is 3 years.

if you had been having problems for a while you should have got in contact with PCS as they could have brought the machine back while still under warranty and fixed it.

if you cant find your warranty info give PCS a call and they can troubleshoot on the phone and tell you what the warranty situation is. Number in my sig.

Dinokilla7

Well, I sent it back a few month ago and the problem with it couldn't be fixed as they couldn't find what it was. It randomly freezing and it still does, but I've learnt to live with it.
But, because I sent it back the first time, and I haven't had it for a year, I'm assuming I still have warranty.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Ehm that doesn't sound right, if its still freezing then you need to get it back to them asap and tell em its broken. No such thing as cant be fixed. Just explain to them the problem as clearly as you can.

But if you've not had it a year yet then get it sent back and make em fix it... That's what the warranty is for, you shouldn't have to 'live with' any problem.

Dinokilla7

This was in January/February time, but I noticed my computer randomly freezing while watching videos mainly, but also while playing games. It had been doing it about a week after I got it in November, but because it was near christmas I left it until Jan before telling them, I explained it to them as detailed as possible. What I was doing before the freeze, what it did etc..
And I sent it back for a week, at which point they returned it saying they couldn't find the problem and apologizing, ever since I've just lived with it.
But I spoke to them again yesterday and they informed me they'll take a look at my system logs and if they can't find the problem for either the freezing or the random shutdowns, they'll take it back and replace the CPU and Graphics card hopefully fixing it.
Thank god for Warranties

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Yeah, no point in having a duff system. You shouldn't have to live with the problem at all.

Hopefully they get it sorted for you.

Let us know how it gets on.