PC restarting when under load

matb

My computer has started to shut down and restart whilst under load. It doesn't crash, it just switches off and then reboots itself.

I use it mainly for heavy image editing and this is where I'm running into problems. The programs I use are Capture One, Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Bridge. I thought the issue may be over heating, so I've used compressed air to remove all dust but I'm still running into the same issue. It seems to be intermittent as it doesn't happen every day.

Does anyway know if this may be a software or hardware issue? Is my PSU underpowered?

Processor (CPU) Intel® CoreTMi7 Quad Core Processor i7-6700 (3.4GHz) 8MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® Z170-E: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM) 32GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2666MHz
Graphics Card 4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 960 - DVI, HDMI, 3 x DP - 3D Vision Ready
1st Storage Drive 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Storage Drive 2TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 64MB CACHE
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply CORSAIR 550W VS SERIESTM VS-550 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable 1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling Super Quiet Titan DragonFly Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler

Durakus

Bronze Level Poster
While you're waiting for someone with more PC experience to reply. Have you updated your Graphics drivers and Windows?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It's important to eliminate overheating as a potential cause before we start looking elsewhere. Download HWMonitor and post a screen shot of your temperatures when completely idle and when under as much load as you can generate.

Can you also post the FUILL spec from the original order please, include everything. :)

matb

Thanks for your reply, here's my full spec as I bought it. I upgraded the ram with an additional 2 x 8GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2666MHz (32GB total).

I've attached 2 x HWMonitor screenshots, one at Idle and one at load whilst running a photoshop batch action, exporting 16bit tif files from Capture One and also scrubbing through footage in Davinci Resolve.

I have tried to run Superposition Benchmark and during loading my computer shuts down and restarts exactly the same as what has been happening before.

I haven't yet updated my graphics driver or windows, I will do that now.

Case COOLERMASTER SILENCIO 452 QUIET MID TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU) Intel® CoreTMi7 Quad Core Processor i7-6700 (3.4GHz) 8MB Cache
Motherboard ASUS® Z170-E: ATX, LG1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM) 16GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2666MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card 4GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 960 - DVI, HDMI, 3 x DP - 3D Vision Ready
1st Storage Drive 250GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Storage Drive 2TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 64MB CACHE
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive 24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power Supply CORSAIR 550W VS SERIESTM VS-550 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable 1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling Super Quiet Titan DragonFly Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit w/SP1 - inc DVD & Licence
Office Software FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365
Anti-Virus NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser Google ChromeTM
Monitor Cables 1 x 2 METRE GOLD PLATED V1.4 HDMI CABLE
Warranty 3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)

Attachments

• idle.PNG
    idle.PNG
    93.7 KB · Views: 133
  • load.PNG
    load.PNG
    72.7 KB · Views: 146

matb

I just tried Furmark to benchmark my GPU only and after clicking go my system immediately shuts down. Does this sounds like a PSU issue?

edit - I also downloaded OCCT and ran the OCCT test, which ran fine for 20 minutes before I stopped it. I selected the power test and hit go and again my system shut down

Last edited:

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
All temps are fine so this does indeed look like a power blip.

The most likely culprit is indeed the PSU, as sustained load without much headroom will tend to "wear" out the capacitors.

How old is the system? Is it still under warranty?

Corsair PSUs tend to have 5yr warranties on them, but it varies by model.

With everything in life, there is unfortunately no certainty. I don't want to tell you to get a PSU only to find that's not the issue at all. I don't suppose you have access to another that you could try first?

matb

I ordered it in November 2015, so just over 5 years old.

Maybe the best option is to order a new PSU, would it be a good idea to order a higher powered PSU than 550W?

Following on from this - if I wanted to make some upgrades to my computer to improve performance for image editing, what would make the biggest difference? CPU and mobo, GPU or RAM?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Unfortunately you would end up with triggers brush I'm afraid.

I'm not a fan of the case
A better performing CPU would require a better performing cooler
Faster RAM would be preferred but there wouldn't be much to gain with the difference
The GPU would give some increase in hardware acceleration but otherwise not offer a lot.

With all that in mind, the 2 real options you have are:

Fix the PSU and live with the system as is.
Fix the PSU, sell the system as is and build a whole new current system (ITRO £1000)

For the PSU, it would depend on what you're doing from the above. If you're keeping it I would opt for a 650w RM. If you're selling I would get a 550w TXm.