PC shutting off unable to turn back on

Stano

Hi All,

I have a problem where my PC shuts off instantly and when trying to turn the PC back on using the power button, it doesnt power up and nothing happens. The only fix i found to get the pc back on is to turn off the PSU power switch, waiting for the power to leave the Mobo, and turn it back on and then the PC power button works and boots the PC back on. This usually happens when gaming and my temps are fine when i have monitored. I have not overclocked anything.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

CaseCORSAIR iCUE 465X RGB GAMING CASE
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 500D SE CASE
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12 Core CPU (3.7GHz-4.8GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardGigabyte X570 GAMING X: ATX (USB 3.2 Gen 1, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 - HDMI, DP (Delivery before Xmas not guaranteed)
1st M.2 SSD Drive1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 2TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 7000MB/R, 5000MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD DriveNONE
1st Storage Drive3TB SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 64MB CACHE
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 2TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Memory Card ReaderUSB 3.0 EXTERNAL SD/MICRO SD CARD READER
Power SupplyCORSAIR 850W AX SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® TITANIUM
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: ASUS ROG STRIX 1000W MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingNoctua NH-U14S Ultra Quiet Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
LED Lighting2x 50cm RGB LED Strip
Extra Case FansNONE
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 3x Corsair LL120 RGB LED Fan + Controller Kit
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
Wireless Network CardASUS PCE-AX58BT Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) 2400Mbps/5GHz, 600Mbps/2.4GHz
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Wha are temps while gaming? I'm not 100% how effective an air cooler will be on that chip.

It may also suggest some kind of issue with the PSU.

Or it could be an issue with the GPU under load.

Stano

Temps are at about 70 at the top end for both CPU and GPU when gaming. I just find it weird how it will not even power on afterwards unless i do the PSU on and off which is why im swaying towards PSU? although i'm not the most knowledgeable!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Temps are at about 70 at the top end for both CPU and GPU when gaming. I just find it weird how it will not even power on afterwards unless i do the PSU on and off which is why im swaying towards PSU? although i'm not the most knowledgeable!
You could well be right. On modern GPUs especially the RTX3000 series, they have a flaw called transient spikes, where they require a huge surge just for a fraction of a second. This can often overload the PSU and lead to these sort of symptoms

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Not sure transient spikes would be an issue at start up, would expect them more when GPU on load. I'm wondering if it's a motherboard fault, and whatever issue that exists is cleared when the MB is fully powered off.