PC start up issue

matt_ynwa

So I bought a Pc from here around six months ago and I've had a problem since it arrived that won't go away.

It started when it first arrived, as when I started it up, it would beep once to say it had checked itself, and then would beep three or four more times, meaning there was a problem with the graphics card. So we sent it back, and we were told they had fixed it, and there had been a problem with the power unit, and I got it back shortly after. Upon getting it back the first time, we managed to turn it on normally and everything was fine. After starting it up the first time, I have had to do the following whenever I want to start it up again: turn it off by the mains, turn it on again, press the power button, turn it off by the mains again and turn it on. If I just turned it on normally it would make the same amount of beeps as before I sent it away. I was talking to my dad and he believed it was something to do with the power unit not supplying enough power, however I was talking to my friend and he worked out the power my pc needs and he said my power unit should be fine. I have never had any problems with my computer randomly powering off or anything of the like, as he also though that may suggest it was properly broken in some way. Does anyone have any idea what it might be? If it's any help the specs of my PC are below (I know a lot of it isn't relevant but I thought I may as well leave it in anyway):

Case PCS DOMINATOR 6806B BLACK CASE
Processor (CPU)AMD FX-6300 Six Core CPU (3.50GHz/8MB CACHE/AM3+)
MotherboardASUS® M5A97 LE R2.0 (DDR3, USB3.0, 6Gb/s)
Memory (RAM)8GB KINGSTON DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz (1 x 8GB)
Graphics Card2GB AMD RADEON™ R7 250 - DVI,HDMI,VGA - DX® 11
2nd Graphics CardNONE
3rd Graphics CardNONE
1st Hard Disk1TB 3.5" SATA-III 6GB/s HDD 7200RPM 32MB CACHE
2nd Hard DiskNONE
RAIDNONE
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
2nd DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNONE
Memory Card ReaderNONE
Power SupplyCORSAIR 450W VS SERIES™ VS-450 POWER SUPPLY
Processor CoolingSTANDARD AMD CPU COOLER
Fan ControllerNONE
Sound CardONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless/Wired Networking10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT - AS STANDARD ON ALL PCs
Wireless Router/HomePlugsNONE
USB OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
FirewireNONE
TV CardNONE
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Operating SystemGenuine Windows 8.1 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
DVD Recovery MediaWindows 8.1 (64-bit) DVD with paper sleeve
Office SoftwareNO
OFFICE SOFTWAREAnti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
MonitorNONE
2nd MonitorNONE
DVI-D & HDMI Monitor CablesNONE
Eyefinity / GeForce 3D VisionNONEKeyboard & MouseNONE
MouseNONE
Gaming Mouse PadNONE
SpeakersNONE
WebcamNONE
HeadsetsNONE
Surge ProtectionNONE
Cable TidyNONE
PrinterNONE
External Hard DriveNONE
Warranty3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Home InstallationNONE
DeliverySTANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)Build TimeStandard Build - Approximately 8 to 10 working days
MiscellaneousFREE NSF - BRONZE GAME VOUCHER with AMD R7 240 & 250 GPUs

This is as it was originally delievered, obiously things such as a monitor and mouse and so on I bought separately.

steaky360

If you're confident with mooching about inside your PC, I'd remove all of the components you can and try to boot with the minimal stuff connected up. If it starts ok then you can start re-inserting components (RAM, GPU, etc.) until it stops, that way you can help identify the component that's causing the issue.

Failing this then, I'd consider sending it back again, if its exhibiting the same problems as you had before your original RMA then clearly something else was wrong that PCS missed the first time round (perhaps because they managed to turn it on in the manner you described above somehow).

Spuff

Expert
I used to think fitting RAM would be easy, but I found fitting two more sticks substantially more difficult than fitting a GPU. I couldn't tell when I had lined them up correctly, I had to use a lot of pressure to get them in, and the clip clipped back, but I still hadn't done it because the PC wouldn't start. I eventually got them seated properly.
So the moral is, make sure any additional sticks are at the same level as any working ones.
(I say that if you will be taking RAM out and putting it back in)

Last edited: