Pc won't wake up, sent to sleep accidentally during shutdown.

Steveo117

Hi all, hopefully someone will be able to help me with the problem i have caused.

yesterday i was putting my Pc to sleep alot during the day while i was not using it. Then when i pressed shutdown i accidentally also pressed the sleep key (no brain was involved with this action) on my keyboard. :-(
This seems to have sent my pc to sleep in the middle of the shutdown procedure and i cannot get it to boot up anymore.

I have tried removing the power from the supply for an extended period of time. Unugging and re plugging all the power and data cable to the hard drives inside the pc. But still the same.

Currently when pressing the power on button the fans start up, the cd drive light comes on a few times but that is all. No motherboard bleep or reduction in speed of the fans and no output to any peripheral device.

any help would be much appreciated as i can't really afford to replace it at the mo and that us what it seems that i will have to do....
Running Windows 7 (ultimate edition i think) , asus P5DL motherboard with couple of sata connected hardrives.

Thanks in advance

Steve

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Hmm, presuming it was caused by you doing the combination of actions (I have my doubts to be honest), you could locate the CMOS battery on the motherboard, remove it for a minute or so and then replace it to see if that solves the problem. That will make the computer forget any BIOS setting that is not letting it start.

Other than that you may have encountered a motherboard/PSU failure at a time when you made this mistake. Do you get any beeps at all, or LEDs on the motherboard that illuminate?

Steveo117

I also had my doubts, but it happened right when i did it.

Thanks alot for you rapid and precise advice. After taking the battery out and putting it back it i was able to get some motherboards beeps :). Always a good sign.
Then after giving the PC a mouse and keyboard again i was able to get into the BIOS and load windows.

Chkdsk found loads of bad sectors/IDs that it 'fixed' but so far (hugging a big wooden log) it all seems to be back to normal. Backing up all my data to externals as i Type.

Think there was some sort of issue by the process of shutdown then quickly sleep as it initially asked me if i wanted to try to restore the saved boot state and this did not work so think it somehow got into a state where it could not load up a boot (from sleep) as it was halfway through shutdown when it entered sleep.

Thanks again.

I do need a new system and will be getting one from here again soon, but that is a project i had earmarked for the new year so glad i did not have to fast track it.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Bad sectors often are a sign that the hard drive is on the way out... I'd keep checking using a smart monitor like Intel rapid storage driver if you have an intel chipset or hdtune to double check your smart stats. If any are off like retired blocks or uncorrectable error counts then I'd get a new hdd immediately. They can go on for ages, but are more likely to degrade instantly.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Good good, the CMOS battery just makes the machine forget anything its still holding onto and it often a good way to get the machine into the BIOS if it just wont do it.

Hope its all sorted anyway.