PCIe NVMe SSD vs SATA SSD

Marrgon

Hi

I'm trying to understand PCIe NVMe SSD vs SATA SSD on the Optimus VIII as it appears you get get much faster SSDs in the PCIe slot compares to the SATA. This has led me to conclude that I'm better off dropping the SATA and just running the system from a PCIe SSD.

Could someone confirm that I'm understanding this correctly please?

Thank you 🤔

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi

I'm trying to understand PCIe NVMe SSD vs SATA SSD on the Optimus VIII as it appears you get get much faster SSDs in the PCIe slot compares to the SATA. This has led me to conclude that I'm better off dropping the SATA and just running the system from a PCIe SSD.

Thank you ��

Basically, old SATA SSD's have been replaced, first by PCIe drives, but now by M.2 drives. PCIe drives aren't worth it as they're expensive and basically dying out.

NVMe SSD's are in an M.2 format, which just means basically run off a different connector and in a different size. They've replaced the old SATA format which peaked at 600mbs limited by the SATA interface. M2 formats can reach much much higher speeds, like the Samsung SM961 or PM961's which are the best for price/performance.

The M.2 drives are not much more expensive and in some instances cheaper than the old SATA drives.

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster

You are :)