Pcie slot running at x8 speed instead of x16

tugainuk

just bought a gtx 780 for my computer, when i made the swap my 1st pcie slot went bust doesnt take anything anymore the new or old card, so i put my new card into the second slot on its own and it worked :) voila i was happy...
then i found out that its only runing at x8 speed through the nvidea system information page, i dont understand that since all slots are supposed to be able to run at x16 speed providing they are alone.
ill post my specs and hopefully some one can shed some light on this for me plz
ps. sorry for the bad spelling.

MOBO: ASUS® P8Z68-V/GEN3: PCI-E 3.0 READY
GPU: GTX 780
CPU: i52500
PSU: CORSAIR 650W ENTHUSIAST SERIES™ TX650
Memory: 8gb samsung

keynes

Multiverse Poster
That's strange, you could try contacting technical support to see what they can do. I have the same motherboard and I also thought that on their own they should run at x16.
There won't be any noticeable difference between x8 and x16 though.

tugainuk

oh no my research has turned out bad things :( http://www.manualowl.com/m/Asus/P8Z68-V/GEN3/Manual/263047 go to "2.2.4" part or page 30 i think, and it says on the diagram that only the first slot, ( the one that burned out on me) is capable of single x16 speeds, and the second weather in sli or not, only x8 :( dam it, so for the graphicks card that it is it wont severely bottleneck it for me ? how do i test this btw guys sorry for wasting ur time btw.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
dam it, so for the graphicks card that it is it wont severely bottleneck it for me ?
It won't.
how do i test this btw guys sorry for wasting ur time btw.
You could look for benchmarks online between 16x 8x and 4x, no noticeable difference in fps.

tugainuk

well thats that put to rest ty for the help gents, i kno what to upgrade at the end of the yr now .... mobo and cpu :)

tugainuk

i dnt know how i did it all i did was replace the palit gtx 560 ti that came with the pc, maybe it burned it self into the slot or something it was a pain to take out i must admit but i didnt force it too much and the 780 sloted in pretty well
i also just noticed im runing my 780 on pcie 2 x8 so its not even pci3 so its slower then rite :( thats why i think it bottlenecking it, i was playing Borderlands 2 with physics on and it kept dropin to 30 40 fps and the work rate or tem neva changed it stuck around 60% max gpu usage and around 50 c so it could of been doing a better job but it didnt

tugainuk

quick update ive been to the device manager, and my 560ti was still showing there so i unistalled it and tryed to put my gpu back in the main slot and .... it worked ... i dnt know what happend here ... but its workin but i also realized that my pcie bus doesnt run on pcie 3.0 it runs at 2 ? now my mother board is ready for it so whats stoping it ? is it my cpu ? its not old or anything ...

also its supposed to have 6000mh memory clock and it only shows 3000 on 2 diff checkers

Last edited:

Yamikotai

Expert
quick update ive been to the device manager, and my 560ti was still showing there so i unistalled it and tryed to put my gpu back in the main slot and .... it worked ... i dnt know what happend here ... but its workin but i also realized that my pcie bus doesnt run on pcie 3.0 it runs at 2 ? now my mother board is ready for it so whats stoping it ? is it my cpu ? its not old or anything ...
Regardless, even on PCI-E 2.0 it won't be bottlenecked.

also its supposed to have 6000mh memory clock and it only shows 3000 on 2 diff checkers
It's DDR5, standing for Double Data Rate. 3000MHz doubled is 6000MHz, it's reporting as it should :)

tom_gr7

Life Serving
just to let know mate, your mobo might be pci 3.0 ready, but your sandy bridge I5 2500 isnt. So it cant run in pci 3.0 speeds - But this wont make a difference anyway.

JakAttack

Resident Metalhead
Staff member
PCI-E speeds and versions have always been a big marketing thing, but never anything worthwhile.

As long as it is 8x it should be fine, I remember when PCI-E 2.0 and 3.0 came out, I had the former each time and got a newer card (i.e. I always ended up running a PCI-E 2.0 on a 1.0 for a short time before my next upgrade, when I did upgrade I never noticed a difference in speeds or FPS. )

I would always recommend matching things up where possible and running at x16 etc, but only for the sole reason that its a 'that's what the book says' sort of thing.

tugainuk

awesome ty very much, thats put me at peace, i jst keep thinkin that theres something bottlenecking it, might be my cpu, i mean the gpu work around average 50% only on bf3 giving me 60 fps when i know it can give me alot more and thats without ambient oclusion and AA, reason i want more is that i have a screen that goes up to 144hz and i like playin my shooters at 120, point is why wont the gpu work harder then 50 - 60 % ? on crysis 3 on the other hand the gpu goes all the way up to 98% usage and it runs like a beast so that just leaves me confused ... ( if u havent noticed im a bit of a noob :)
)