PCS and 17.3" Cosmos II Review

John W

I recently purchased a 17.3" Cosmos II, configuration listed below.

All aspects of this product meet my expectations (except one, see below). It works well and the build seems to be to a good standard. It is good value for money. In particular, I think that the 1920 x 1080 matte display is very good.

I'm not sure that the SSD provides an increase in performance that justifies the increase in inconvenience brought about by not being able to use the C drive for storing my files. It turns out to be too small to do everything I want with it. Ironically, the price for my configuration has gone down since I bought it, if I had waited a few weeks I could have fitted a larger SSD into my budget and I would have been able to use it as intended. These things happen! This is not a reflection on the performance of the PC or on PCS.

I am new to Windows 8.1, I think I will prefer it to Win7 once I get used to it. I know this is not the correct forum for this but if anyone is willing to answer a question I would be grateful. I am currently using Windows defender for malware protection, I have a spare licence for Norton Internet Security which I could use. Should I make the switch? When searching the internet for an answer to this I only seem to find 'extremists', I would appreciate a rational, unbiased answer from some knowledgeable person.

My interactions with PCS could not have been better. My questions before the order were answered quickly and accurately. The laptop was dispatched after 10 working days and arrived one day later (add two weekends and that's 15 days). It seemed to be in 'order processing' for a long time but went through the production process very quickly.

I had what turned out to be a very minor problem when I first switched it on (I had not even got into Windows, so F1 was useless). I called PCS service, got to speak to someone very quickly and he was able to provide the necessary help. Since then, no problems.

This forum has proved very useful and its existence says something about PCS. I would like to thank Mantadog for his advice on my configuration.

I have attached 3 photos of my PC, as requested, but I think the professional ones on the PCS web site are all that is really needed.

John.

2014 03 04 001-2.jpg2014 03 04 002-2.jpg2014 03 04 003-2.jpg

Chassis & Display
Cosmos Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-4700MQ (2.40GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM)
16GB KINGSTON HYPER-X GENESIS 1600MHz SODIMM DDR3 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
INTEL® HD GRAPHICS MEDIA ACCELERATOR 4600
Memory - 1st Hard Disk
120GB KINGSTON V300 SSD, SATA 6 Gb (450MB/R, 450MB/W)
2nd Hard Disk
750GB WD SCORPIO BLACK WD7500BPKX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 16MB CACHE (7200 rpm)
1st DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
2nd/3rd HDD HARD DRIVE OPTICAL BAY CADDY
Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Wireless/Wired Networking
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N-135 802.11N (150Mbps) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD
Battery
Cosmos Series 6 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (48.84WH)
Power Cable
1 x UK Power Lead & 90W AC Adaptor
Operating System
Genuine Windows 8.1 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence

steaky360

Great review! Good pics too! It's always nice to see pics of folks rigs (even though a laptop is a laptop :))

I am new to Windows 8.1, I think I will prefer it to Win7 once I get used to it. I know this is not the correct forum for this but if anyone is willing to answer a question I would be grateful. I am currently using Windows defender for malware protection, I have a spare licence for Norton Internet Security which I could use. Should I make the switch? When searching the internet for an answer to this I only seem to find 'extremists', I would appreciate a rational, unbiased answer from some knowledgeable person.

I use Norton Internet Security and don't have any issues at all with it. It is a far cry away from the Norton products of a few years ago. I would recommend using it if you have a spare key. Worst case scenario would be you find it too intrusive or notice it affecting your system (I don't personally but you might), if you do notice it or don't like it you can always remove it.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
I used Norton for a while, I hatred it and have never tried the more modern software. From what I hear it is much better these days and if you've already paid for the licence then it makes sense to use it. I use the free version of AVG myself and find it perfectly up to the job.

As far as the SSD goes, that's the deal. You can move the documents, pictures and music folders (etc) to the HDD and just point windows to the new location by going Properties > Location Tab > Move, select a Destination and follow the prompts. That might not be your issue though I don't know.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Erm ok... what....

For the benefit of those who cant see what I can see, (steaky deleted the post) it appears Norton now has a PCS forum account. Feels slightly strange to be stalked by an international corporation :)

steaky360

Erm ok... what....

For the benefit of those who cant see what I can see, (steaky deleted the post) it appears Norton now has a PCS forum account. Feels slightly strange to be stalked by an international corporation :)

Yeah, I actually believed it to be a fake (understandably I hope). I'm not 100% sure now but I just don't know. Just found it strange that they happened to create an account just now and posted on the forum for the first time 'just now'.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Yeah i guess it is fake, wouldn't make much sense for them to create an account on PCS forums. Norton is hardly discussed at all really. Just pointing it out for anyone confused, that's all :)

John W

Thanks for the responses to my question. Thanks also for the explanation, I thought I was being accused of being a stalker.

John.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Apparently it was an actual representative from Norton after all. However the rules of the forum state that you cant advertise products you have an interest in, so the post stays deleted for the time being unless PCS can clarify they gave permission.

Don't worry your not the stalker :) Hope your all sorted, anything else just come back, I promise I wont think your stalking me. (unless you turn up at my house, then we might have a problem...)