PCS Communication (The lack of It)

SimMou

A few days ago I posted a question about how long was normal for a PC to be stuck “on Test”. At the time of posting mine had been on test for four days with no issues noted. After seven working days, it’s still stuck there and the only feedback I’ve had has been extracted after long waits holding to speak to an adviser. At best, the feedback has been vague and incomplete even when I’ve been given promises of specific information and regular updates.

Various comments on the thread and my own experience make me think PCS are doing themselves no favours at all with their communication. I’d be interested to know if others agree or am I expecting too much?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
In the current difficult situation communication has been a problem and you're not the only one to notice. AFAIK (and I don't work for PCS) all staff not engaged in building are still working from home. That creates its own set of problems; where normally someone could walk over to check on someone's build (or build on test) they can't do that and have to rely on phones, messages, and emails. The internal communication within PCS is thus noticeably disrupted and that is bound to have an effect on customer communication.

At the moment Live Chat seems to be the fastest way to get in contact with them, although I suspect the people answering that are still working from home. To be fair, PCS are providing some information; you know that your order is in testing for example. If it's "stuck" on test I'd expect that's because there has been an issue, it may have gone back into build for replacement parts for all we know. PCS are clearly making certain that it's working fine before shipping it to you. I think you'd rather they did that than rush it out the door only for you to have to RMA it?

SimMou

Well I agree with much of that. Of course, it’s harder for the advisers to get clear answers when they’re working from home. And, yes, much better to delay sending the system until it’s been thoroughly tested.

My criticism is the lack of communication from the testers and I can’t see why Covid-19 issues mean they can no longer append notes to an order as they claim to do in their guidance to what to expect through the build and test phases.

Seven working days in testing without any notes about why is guaranteed to cause anyone the same frustration it’s causing me.

It’s being left in the dark that’s the issue.

It would be so much better to sent a one-line message about what failed, what will be tried next and the outcome of each test. Then I’d know and I could see that they were doing everything they could to overcome the problem. It would also have saved three separate PCS advisers from making their own enquiries, adding up to at least a couple of hours of their time (and a lot more of mine) to get their meaningless, non-specific progress reports.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I have just escalated this to the Customer Care Manager through the top secret high-bandwidth quantum encoded back-channel available to the moderators. You do have some very valid points, hopefully we can get you some answers - and better yet, your PC. :)

SimMou

He must have performed magic because I’ve just had an email to say it’s awaiting dispatch 😀
Only problem now is it’s not supposed to be dispatched. I’m collecting it. Need to get in contact to check when I can and can’t find live chat looking on the contact page.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
He must have performed magic because I’ve just had an email to say it’s awaiting dispatch 😀
Only problem now is it’s not supposed to be dispatched. I’m collecting it. Need to get in contact to check when I can and can’t find live chat looking on the contact page.
That's a bit soon for my escalation to have had anything to do with it. :)

Very happy things are moving though! :)

And yes I was serious, there really is a moderator's back-channel, but it's not so secret now I guess...... :unsure:

SimMou

Thanks anyway! Do you know if live chat is off air? I can’t find on the contacts page on a desktop browser

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Thanks anyway! Do you know if live chat is off air? I can’t find on the contacts page on a desktop browser
It's working for me. Contact Us is in the middle of the text menu items near the top of the page. It takes a few seconds for the Live Chat bar to pop up from the bottom though.... :)