PCS DS200 -M.2 Usb dock (hub)

benji2021

I got this along with my Laptop, they called it a Dock, but its actually a Just a Hub.

Tried to fit a 2280 M.2 drive today and the socket doesnt fit either Nvme or Sata style drives. there is no thread for a screw to hold the drive down either

Has anyone on here got one of the same Hubs that has successfully fitted an M.2 drive, i dont think its possible but i'm happy to be proived wrong.

Maybe its just mine is faulty, but I regret adding this to my order. The term POS springs to mind. Ive messaged PCS but they took 2 weeks to reply with my last question so i dont hold out much hope.

If anyone got theirs to work with a an M.2 drive please let me know how and which drive fits it.

Thanks

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
I got this along with my Laptop, they called it a Dock, but its actually a Just a Hub.

Tried to fit a 2280 M.2 drive today and the socket doesnt fit either Nvme or Sata style drives. there is no thread for a screw to hold the drive down either

Has anyone on here got one of the same Hubs that has successfully fitted an M.2 drive, i dont think its possible but i'm happy to be proived wrong.

Maybe its just mine is faulty, but I regret adding this to my order. The term POS springs to mind. Ive messaged PCS but they took 2 weeks to reply with my last question so i dont hold out much hope.

If anyone got theirs to work with a an M.2 drive please let me know how and which drive fits it.

Thanks
M.2 is only a form factor - different drives use different ‘keys’ such as M-key or B-key or both. You’ll have to figure out what the dock can accept first.

1618333433758.png

(Edit - also 2280 - means 22mm wide - standard for M.2 - and 80mm long. But it doesn’t tell you what key....)

Rakk

The Awesome
The DS200 does not have a port for an M.2 , but depending which version you bought you do get an M.2 drive with it (odd combination mind). And yes it is a hub rather than a dock - not sure why its been called a dock to be honest
The bit I've highlighted shows what ports it has

DS200.PNG

If a hub was not what you are looking for then yes you should try to get a refund for it, but email replies are taking a while at the mo due to the worldwide chip shortage and delays caused by such

Edit: hmm, the fact its states it as a feature makes me doubt whether I'm right or not, you will have to contact PCS
Edit 2: see my next post further down

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
The DS200 does not have a port for an M.2 , but depending which version you bought you do get an M.2 drive with it (odd combination mind). And yes it is a hub rather than a dock - not sure why its been called a dock to be honest
The bit I've highlighted shows what ports it has

View attachment 24897

If a hub was not what you are looking for then yes you should try to get a refund for it, but email replies are taking a while at the mo due to the worldwide chip shortage and delays caused by such

Edit: hmm, the fact its states it as a feature makes me doubt whether I'm right or not, you will have to contact PCS
Well spotted Rakk. I couldn’t find any info on it....

Rakk

The Awesome
Oh after rereading (again), said hub/dock has an integrated M.2 so the hub/dock is a storage device as well - if you pick one with said storage space (at least one of the DS200 options doesn't), but you cant connect other M.2's through it

I think!

benji2021

Thanks for your replies, mine has an empty m.2 slot in the back. when I choose it i figured I would get the drive later.
M.2 is only a form factor - different drives use different ‘keys’ such as M-key or B-key or both. You’ll have to figure out what the dock can accept first.

View attachment 24898

(Edit - also 2280 - means 22mm wide - standard for M.2 - and 80mm long. But it doesn’t tell you what key....)
Thanks yes I understand that there are different slot types, it looks like its trying to be an M key - 5 pins + 28(?) hard to count, the drive also has the same but still doesnt fit. its not tight, Ive installed a few , its not right, Im not installing a drive to it I dont trust it wont fry it!

Attachments

• 20210413_210249.jpg
    20210413_210249.jpg
    913.9 KB · Views: 452

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
That's weird - it certainly looks like a standard M key slot.

I counted the pins also (what a struggle!) and got 5 + 28 also. However, it should be 5 + 29 I think? It looks like your dock has 1 pin too few?? You'll need to check it too though as my eyes are hurting me now!!! :D Here's a PCIe M.2 for ya to check!

1618345925831.png

Also, this drive above would have to go into your dock upside down by the looks of it???

Something weird is afoot methinks.

benji2021

Oh after rereading (again), said hub/dock has an integrated M.2 so the hub/dock is a storage device as well - if you pick one with said storage space (at least one of the DS200 options doesn't), but you cant connect other M.2's through it

I think!
The one I ordered, for clarity was PCS DS200 USB-C Docking Hub + M.2 Port: 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x HDMI, 1 x RJ45, 1 x TYPE-C PD

Much I as was disapointed at a hub not a dock when it arrived, the use is or would be pretty awesome. I use the laptop for work outon site, on my return I can plug one cable and have external monitor and backup access before taking it out the following day. i liked the idea anyway

benji2021

That's weird - it certainly looks like a standard M key slot.

I counted the pins also (what a struggle!) and got 5 + 28 also. However, it should be 5 + 29 I think? It looks like your dock has 1 pin too few?? You'll need to check it too though as my eyes are hurting me now!!! :D Here's a PCIe M.2 for ya to check!

View attachment 24902

Also, this drive above would have to go into your dock upside down by the looks of it???
Yes that was my thoughts too, crazy isnt it!!

I had a drive here today m-key and the slot is about 1 pin too narrow to accept the drive, this pushes the divider out of line, so if I line up the divider the drive doesnt fit, if its lined up with the slot the divider is in slighly the wrong place! very strange.

One thing I have noticed in the above slots pic is that one side on the 6pin is 5 pin so maybe it is actually a B that looks like an M! I cant actually find a B slot m.2 no one seems to specify the slot type! lol I was pretty annoyed earlier, but im starting to see the funny side.

So what types of drive have the B key? gen 2?

Rakk

The Awesome
The one I ordered, for clarity was PCS DS200 USB-C Docking Hub + M.2 Port: 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x HDMI, 1 x RJ45, 1 x TYPE-C PD

Much I as was disapointed at a hub not a dock when it arrived, the use is or would be pretty awesome. I use the laptop for work outon site, on my return I can plug one cable and have external monitor and backup access before taking it out the following day. i liked the idea anyway
Yeah now you pictured the slot on the side I understand :)

Though I can't help with the problem I'm afraid cos I just dont know:(

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Ah OK - I'm thinking it's actually a B-key slot you have in that dock OP then. Hnag on and let me find an image to see how it's misaligned.....

benji2021

Does it look like this when you try to install it?

View attachment 24903
Yes ! exactly that, please put me out of my misery!

I cant find B Key only drive, But I think maybe then B+M should be ok?

Looking at a similarly crappy quality Adapter, they say that it can use both B only and B +M so maybe i'll take a punt on that.
Of course all this could be avoided with some included info supplied with the product.

Last edited:

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
OK!! It's a B Key slot in your dock. It's seems to be primarily for older M.2 SATA - not M.2 PCIe.

Here's an example - an image with the two types of keys:

B M Keys.jpg

And here's what happens when I take that M Key drive at the bottom and flip it upside down and try to match it with the B-key slot:

B Upside Down.jpg

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Looking at pinout diagrams it seems that the outer pins are both ground pins in the socket - so your dock may have just ommitted one of them and that could have thrown us off the scent.

But at the same time my face has been so close to the screen trying to count pins for you that I am seeing three or four of everything now. Which, when you do the maths, doesn't actually make sense..... 🤔

NoddyPirate

Grand Master

I cant find B Key only drive, But I think maybe then B+M should be ok?

Looking at a similarly crappy quality Adapter, they say that it can use both B only and B +M so maybe i'll take a punt on that.
Of course all this could be avoided with some included info supplied with the product.
Just see your edit now. Yes I think you are right that a B+M key drive should work in a B only slot. They are both M.2 SATA formats after all......

benji2021

Just see your edit now. Yes I think you are right that a B+M key drive should work in a B only slot. They are both M.2 SATA formats after all......
Thank you @NoddyPilot I appreciate you straining your eyes for me! o_O

Its crazy isnt it i cant find anywhere that actually says you can use a B+M in a B slot. but it must be the case. Logically it cant carry PCIE bandwidth through a usb c , but the 2 gaps threw me on the Sata m.2's and then the pin count led me a astray too, what a frustrating experience but thank you for your help with it.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Thank you @NoddyPilot I appreciate you straining your eyes for me! o_O

Its crazy isnt it i cant find anywhere that actually says you can use a B+M in a B slot. but it must be the case. Logically it cant carry PCIE bandwidth through a usb c , but the 2 gaps threw me on the Sata m.2's and then the pin count led me a astray too, what a frustrating experience but thank you for your help with it.
I think the whole idea of a B+M key drive is that it will fit in either slot. But there is no doubt that M.2 is far too complicated!!!

You are more than welcome @benji2021 - it's a happy forum here full of folk who enjoy passing the time trying to assist with problem solving and advice. Plus, I learned a lot here too! (y)