PCS FrostFlow 240 Series ARGB High Performance Liquid Cooler - LED Problem

Hi. My son has only had his PC for a few weeks and the coloured LEDs in the top water cooling fan, in the inside front of the unit, have stopped working all the time. It seems the top fan will be lit up sometimes, but it is unlit again today, after several reboots, and power-offs.

I have attached a photo showing the unlit fan in the upper-right corner of the image (see below).

I do not particularly want to send the whole unit back just for the sake of something that may be the result of a loose plug / connection.

Could anyone advise me on where I might look inside the unit, or on the motherboard for a possible loose connector or plug relating to the coloured LEDs? Pease note the fan itself is working correctly - it is just the LEDs that are not.

Thanks, Mike

IMG_4625b.jpg

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
We’ll certainly try to help. Can you post your full specs so we can confirm how fans might be connected?

We’ll certainly try to help. Can you post your full specs so we can confirm how fans might be connected?

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I cannot access that information at the moment, but I can tell you that it was order number 2320525, if that helps?

Hi and thank you for the replies. The specs of the PC are below. Thank you.

Case PCS SPECTRUM RGB MID TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™ i5 Six Core Processor i5-10400F (2.9GHz) 12MB Cache
Motherboard GIGABYTE B560M DS3H (rev. 1.0) : LGA1200, DDR4, USB 3.2

Memory (RAM) 16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card 6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1660 SUPER - HDMI, DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st M.2 SSD Drive 1TB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2200 MB/R, 1500 MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive NOT REQUIRED
Power Supply CORSAIR 450W CV SERIES™ CV-450 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable 1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling PCS FrostFlow 240 Series ARGB High Performance Liquid Cooler
Thermal Paste STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card WIRELESS 802.11N 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD
USB/Thunderbolt Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Thanks. So for that motherboard, any ARGB lighting should be connected to the header at the bottom of the board.
1649452175650.png

I'm not very familiar with the Frostflow, but my guess is the two fans are connected to a splitter cable for the ARGB and that splitter cable is then plugged into the header as marked above. So check the connection to the motherboard first (although if the other fan is working fine, I suspect this connection is not the issue) and then trace the cable back to the end of the splitter cable and check the connections at the other end.

If all connections seem fine, it's likely to be a fault fan, in which case you should raise a RMA to send out a new one or send PC back for them to fix.

Side note: RGB fans generally have two cables, one to control the fan and it's rotation speed, and the other to control the RGB effects. If both fans are spinning, we know the first cables are fine.

Hi, I just wanted to reply - I finally checked the connection on the motherboard and it seems to be fine. So it would seem the fault is within the Frostflow fan unit itself. I am not prepared to tinker with that and my son no longer seems bothered that the LEDs don’t work on that particular part. So we will just leave it as it is. Thanks for the advice though. Mike

Aza

Rising Star
Hi, I just wanted to reply - I finally checked the connection on the motherboard and it seems to be fine. So it would seem the fault is within the Frostflow fan unit itself. I am not prepared to tinker with that and my son no longer seems bothered that the LEDs don’t work on that particular part. So we will just leave it as it is. Thanks for the advice though. Mike
I would actually suggest seeing if you can use that to send it back... the PCS liquid coolers have (historically at least) been very problematic and it should still be within full warranty cover, an RMA would mean they cover courier costs and replacements and i'd suggest talking to PCS about switching it for a different cooler.

A 10400 dosent need a powerful cooler, but i'd suggest either getting the PCS cooler refunded and a stock cooler sent out to you, or looking at the coolermaster 212.... you can still go liquid cooling but liquid coolers are not something you would want to cheap out on and most would suggest the H100i/H115i/H150i models dependent on the CPU but they are significantly more than the cheap budget liquid coolers.

I can see you built it on a tight budget, and its not a system that can be upgraded without replacing most of it, but at least that way you should be able to get the most out of it without worrying about cooler issues.