PCS Octane II Extreme 15.6" (Clevo P750DM-G)

CEUOTC

Enthusiast
Good day!

So have now had my hands on the PCS Octane II Extreme for two day now. I needed to down scale from a full fledge desktop to this little beast as we are planning to move to a new house and as we don't know how big it will be.

I went for the next day build as l wanted the system as soon as possible, and this is my third laptop l have purchased from PCS and rate them highly indeed. Both previous laptops (P170EM bought 2012 and a W230SS bought 2014) have been passed onto other users and are still going strong. So this should give everyone an idea of the longevity and serviceability of these laptops (both are still gaming away with Rust/DayZ and the like) and have never been RMA's for any faults.

So here are the specifications l went for:

Chassis & Display
Octane Series: 15.6" Matte Full HD IPS LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-6700 (3.4GHz) 8MB Cache
Memory (RAM)
16GB HyperX IMPACT 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 980M - 8.0GB DDR5 Video RAM, DirectX® 12, G-SYNC
1st Hard Disk
1TB WD BLUE 2.5" WD10JPVX, SATA 6 Gb/s, 8MB CACHE (5400 rpm)
M.2 SSD Drive
256GB SAMSUNG SM951 M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 2150MB/R, 1260MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 6 in 1 Card Reader (SD /Mini SD/ SDHC / SDXC / MMC / RSMMC)
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Wireless/Wired Networking
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® AC-8260 M.2 (867Mbps, 802.11BGN) + BLUETOOTH
USB Options
4 x USB 3.0 PORTS (1 x POWERED) + 1 e-SATA/USB 3.0 PORT COMBINED
Battery
Octane Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (82WH)
Power Cable
1 x UK Power Lead & 230W AC Adaptor
Keyboard Language
OCTANE SERIES BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD
Operating System
Genuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc DVD & Licence
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
DVD Recovery Media
Windows 10 (64-bit) Home DVD with paper sleeve
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365
Anti-Virus
BULLGUARD INTERNET SECURITY - FREE 90 DAY TRIAL
Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MP FULL HD WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Gold Warranty (2 Year Collect & Return, 2 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Dead Pixel Guarantee
1 Year Dead Pixel Guarantee Inc. Labour & Carriage Costs

With the added warranty, pixel guarantee and 2 day postage to the far north of Scotland it came in at £1788.00 and very much worth it.

Components: An i7 6700 + GTX 980M make for an excellent 1080p/1440p gaming machine in such a small form factor, equalling a desktop at most tasks. The 16gb of DDR4 is more than upto an job atm, and with two free dimm slots under the keyboard for future upgrades if required.

Storage: The Samsung M.2 SSD in combination with the Mech HDD is an excellent choice, there are also a free M.2 and Sata for future expansion.

Screen: Bright with very little light bleed l am more than happy, once l have set it up it will do nicely, bright and accurate for what l need.

Sound: Excellent sound if a little distorted at high volume, the Sound Blaster X-Fi MB5 adds depth and is an excellent addition. I have strapped some Creative T20 to compliment this system.

Software: As always no bloat ware, you may need to install the short cut key manager from the CD or get the latest from the Clevo download page, l also installed the Realtek drivers and Sound Blaster software from the Clevo web page for this model.

Build quality/Style: Is excellent, this is a sturdy well made machine, it does not pretend to be a Macbook and has been nicknamed Batman 2.0 on a highly popular laptop forum.

PCS Service: Excellent service as always, payment went through quickly and the laptop was dispatched early on Monday morning.

Gaming: More than capable, on another forum l use, this system runs faster than a i7 4790k + GTX 960 by quite a margin (synthetic benchmark) on Firestrike this laptop achieved 8575 at stock with the latest Nvidia 361.75 drivers. With G-sync enabled game play is smooth be it Fallout 4, GW2 or War Thunder. (Experience may vary)

Weight: No need to go to the gym if you move this bad boy around, however it is not overly heavy, but assuredly so.

Dimensions: Compact ideal for LAN gaming or taking on work based courses or work related trips abroad or at home.

Cooling: Outstanding cooling, with fans set to auto max temps in Fire Strike are CPU = 64'c hottest core GPU = 61'c.
Which is more than acceptable, temps may creep during extended game play, however l do not foresee them breaking the thermal throttle limit. (Laptop is sitting on a Coolermaster U2 without fans fitted)

Noise: when browsing the web or typing this fans are silent, benchmarking with Fire Strike the fans ramp up with a gentle whoosh nothing more, even FN + 1 selected for max rpm the fans are not overy loud.

Keyboard: Excellent backlight, with good key travel but will not get much use as l use and external keyboard.

Trackpad: Accurate and large, the mouse keys are a little mushy for my taste, however they are quiet, again will not get much use as l use and external mouse.

Ports: Plenty of ports for a 15.6" laptop and nice to see the Thunderbolt there also.

Cost: You get what you pay for, so enough said there :)

Here are some shots of my set up:

Laptop_4.jpg

Laptop_1.jpg

Laptop_2.jpg

I am more than happy with this bit of kit, and as always the service from PCS has been outstanding.

(Photos not working in Chrome for some reason for me, however work in MS Edge)

Last edited:

Bradden

Bronze Level Poster
Sorry if this is a dumb question but but what is the Octane II Extreme? .. I know there is an Octane II Pro but I've not heard of this one?

moheli

Silver Level Poster
Four years later, any complaints? I'm more interested in heat management but also how well it has endured over this period.