PCS or Dell, Help please.

dracula468

Hello I'm looking for a new laptop to play civ 5 and i've found one one dell for about £550 I think but its certified refurbished, the specs are

XPS L502x
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64 BIT)
Processor : Intel Core i7-2630QM processor 2.00 GHz
Hard Drive : 640GB Serial ATA (7200RPM)
8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz (2 DIMMs)
8X DVD +/- RW DRIVE
15.6 in HD WLED TL (1366x768)
Graphics : 2GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M Graphics card
Battery : Primary 6-cell 56W/HR LI-ION
LCD Back Cover : Silver WLAN
Wireless: Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6230 (2x2 b/g/+ Bluetooth Combo Card)
English Genuine Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium (64Bit OS)
Back Up Media Not Included

or for the 17 inch

XPS L702x
Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium (64 BIT)
Processor: Intel Core i5-2410M processor (2.30 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz)
Hard Drive : 500GB Serial ATA II (7200 RPM) Hard Drive
4 GB (2x2GB)1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel Memory
8X DVD +/- RW DRIVE
17.3in HD+ WLED True-Life (1600x900) with 2.0 Mega Pixel Integrated Camera
Graphics : 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 550M Graphics Card
Battery : Primary 6-cell 56W/HR LI-ION
Silver Anodized Aluminum
Wireless: Intel Wireless-N 1000 Card
English Genuine Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium (64Bit OS)
Back Up Media Not Included

but a laptop from here would cost £700 and the specs are

Enigma III 540: 15.6" Matte HD LED Widescreen (1366x768)
Processor (CPU): Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-2670QM (2.20GHz) 6MB
Memory (RAM): 4GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (1 x 4GB)
Graphics Card: nVIDIA® GeForce® GT 540M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM - DirectX® 11
Memory - Hard Disk: 500GB SERIAL ATA II 2.5" HARD DRIVE WITH 8MB CACHE (5,400rpm)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive: 8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)
Sound Card: Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless: ENIGMA GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS 802.11N + BLUETOOTH 3.0

So my question is, who should i go for? any help is well accepted
Thanks

Serendipity

Enthusiast
Asking a PCS forum? You are gonna get PCS as an answer mate haha.

I asked myself the same question when I was looking around, and it did some between Dell or PCS, I did a lot of research and found that for the specs I wanted it was MUCH cheaper here than Dell, if it were on Dell we would be talking £300+ at least. Plus as a bonus they have a great customer service, online chat and us awesome people to talk to on the forums ;)

Serendipity

Enthusiast
They do. Well, I got a issue of 'Focus' mag (Science & Tech mag) and they do £15 off on their advert.. not much, but every penny helps. I used that, they advertise in other mags but I think it's the same offer too.

I have a desktop P.C, I had a laptop but not with PCS, from previous experience I had a 17 inch and that was brilliant for gaming. Other than that I can't help you there lol.

Pete

Bright Spark
asking on the PCS forum we'll all tell you PCS, ask the same question on the DELL forum and they'll probably tell you PCS too :¬)

I've been looking at Dell and while they make some cracking laptops they aren't as configurable as the range at PCS. Also, even with discounts - including Quidco, Dell aren't any cheaper than PCS. I wish PCS were on Quidco though like a lot of laptop retailers. The PCS level of service seems much more flexible - changing the screen if a matte one doesn't suite within 7 days of receipt of the laptop for example. This kind of attention to detail is really invaluable when buying such an expensive item that holds a lot of significance for us customers.