PCS PC Crash - Hardware Error Report - Help to Understand

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Before looking at either dump it's obvious from these dumps that you're running a seriously back-level version of Windows 10. Version 10.0.19041.1 is from April 2004 and Microsoft support for that version ends on 14th December this year. Your Windows system is years old and may well not be capable of handling the latest graphics drivers properly.

Both minumps report the same failure, they both have a stop code of VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE. TDR is the Timeout Detection and Recovery feature of Windows, it's designed to detect a driver hang and recover it. In this case recovery was not possible, hence the crashes.

In both dumps the stack trace shows several calls to dxgkrnl.sys just before the bug check, this is the DirectX kernel and that's part of Windows. It is entirely possible that your version of DirectX is not compatible with the latest Nvidia drivers. The dump triage analysis blames nvlddmkm.sys (the Nvidia driver) but the stack trace shows it was DirectX that was the likely problem here.

My advice to you is simple and straight forward - you must update you copy of Windows to 21H1 as soon as possible (and certainly before 14th December). You don't have a hope of getting reliability using an ancient operating system and the latest graphics drivers. To be brutally honest, I don't believe that there is anything that anyone can do to help you when you're running such a back-level copy of Windows10.

jklondon

Bronze Level Poster
Before looking at either dump it's obvious from these dumps that you're running a seriously back-level version of Windows 10. Version 10.0.19041.1 is from April 2004 and Microsoft support for that version ends on 14th December this year. Your Windows system is years old and may well not be capable of handling the latest graphics drivers properly.

Both minumps report the same failure, they both have a stop code of VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE. TDR is the Timeout Detection and Recovery feature of Windows, it's designed to detect a driver hang and recover it. In this case recovery was not possible, hence the crashes.

In both dumps the stack trace shows several calls to dxgkrnl.sys just before the bug check, this is the DirectX kernel and that's part of Windows. It is entirely possible that your version of DirectX is not compatible with the latest Nvidia drivers. The dump triage analysis blames nvlddmkm.sys (the Nvidia driver) but the stack trace shows it was DirectX that was the likely problem here.

My advice to you is simple and straight forward - you must update you copy of Windows to 21H1 as soon as possible (and certainly before 14th December). You don't have a hope of getting reliability using an ancient operating system and the latest graphics drivers. To be brutally honest, I don't believe that there is anything that anyone can do to help you when you're running such a back-level copy of Windows10.
Ok so I did update per many posts above but when I did the reset it went back to the old (original) version. Guess to be expected. Have just updated to 21H1. Will re-run tests. txs

jklondon

Bronze Level Poster
Ok upgraded to latest version of windows. DDU remove and reinstall drivers. Run 3DMark and it crashes almost instantly. Boots with one beep then 3 consecutive beeps. New minidump attached. Seems like GPU failure :(

1637133275402.png

Attachments

• 111721-10015-01 - Copy.zip
    409 KB · Views: 125

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
As you are still getting 116 bsods I would recommend you contact us directly to arrange either a replacement GPU or your system coming back (although the entire thread so far just points towards your out of date windows, which has been updated, and the graphics card).

jklondon

Bronze Level Poster
As you are still getting 116 bsods I would recommend you contact us directly to arrange either a replacement GPU or your system coming back (although the entire thread so far just points towards your out of date windows, which has been updated, and the graphics card).
Just got of the phone with PCS - arranged GPU swap tomorrow so fingers crossed.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Ok upgraded to latest version of windows. DDU remove and reinstall drivers. Run 3DMark and it crashes almost instantly. Boots with one beep then 3 consecutive beeps. New minidump attached. Seems like GPU failure :(
The one long + three short beeps you hear indicate a graphics card issue, that could well be the problem in your minidumps. The active thread calls immediately before the bug check were the dxgkrnl.sys driver doing an adapter reset (dxgkrnl!DXGADAPTER::Reset+0x4dc) followed by an adapter render reset (dxgkrnl!ADAPTER_RENDER::Reset+0x174). It's perfectly possible that the problem is the card rather than the drivers. Though that doesn't absolve you from running an out of date OS. ;)