PCS Test Windows

purplewakanda

Gold Level Poster
I'm wondering if there is anything wrong with the PSC test windows that is installed on the PC? I read @ubuysa reply stating in some post it's buggy. I got my PC with that.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm wondering if there is anything wrong with the PSC test windows that is installed on the PC? I read @ubuysa reply stating in some post it's buggy. I got my PC with that.
It's a test windows, so it's not configured. It should never be used.

If you've bought without windows you'll always need to clean install your own copy.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
What do you mean by not configured? Can you please explain?
Windows is just the operating system, you then have to configure it with drivers for each individual component. None of that will have been done, so you'll face instability, likely BSODs, and general issues like stuttering etc.

purplewakanda

Gold Level Poster
Windows is just the operating system, you then have to configure it with drivers for each individual component. None of that will have been done, so you'll face instability, likely BSODs, and general issues like stuttering etc.
I called up Microsoft as I couldn't activate it myself and they helped me convert it into Windows 10 Pro with the key I had without reinstalling it. I've updated Windows and AMD GPU drivers. Is there anything else I should do?

Also, PCS support didn't mention anything about what you said.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I called up Microsoft as I couldn't activate it myself and they helped me convert it into Windows 10 Pro with the key I had without reinstalling it. I've updated Windows and AMD GPU drivers. Is there anything else I should do?

Also, PCS support didn't mention anything about what you said.
If you've used the test environment, you'll need to clean install.

It's just standard practice, it's the normal way of doing things.

When you're buying a windows license from an OEM, you're not just paying for the license, you're paying for professional installation which takes time.

purplewakanda

Gold Level Poster
If you've used the test environment, you'll need to clean install.

It's just standard practice, it's the normal way of doing things.

When you're buying a windows license from an OEM, you're not just paying for the license, you're paying for professional installation which takes time.
I've been using the test environment till now so I will reinstall it as per your advice, install the drivers and run windows update. How long can I postpone it as the work schedule and weekends are a bit busy?

Citrus_9

Expert
I've been using the test environment till now so I will reinstall it as per your advice, install the drivers and run windows update. How long can I postpone it as the work schedule and weekends are a bit busy?
The sooner, the better, ideally, within hours, if not possible, best within days, if extremely busy, within 1-2 week, I guess.

It's because once you start using a PC, you'll install software, will have more and more document files and then it's get harder to find motivation to make it done, also, takes longer to back up more files.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The longer you leave it the more impact it will have on you, that's not something I can really answer, it's down to you how important having a stable system is and having to reconfigure settings you may have adjusted etc.

There is a specific way to install windows 10, it's not like previous windows versions. You let windows update install any drivers it can, then manually install nvidia drivers direct from nvidia and any management apps like icue etc that you want.

It's option one from here, but what it leaves out is the first step of installation is partitions, you delete all existing partitions on the c drive and install to the blank space:

Citrus_9

Expert

19dayne

Bronze Level Poster
I've just ordered my pc and im getting it without OS, so what would be the first thing i should do when i receive it?

purplewakanda

Gold Level Poster
The sooner, the better, ideally, within hours, if not possible, best within days, if extremely busy, within 1-2 week, I guess.

It's because once you start using a PC, you'll install software, will have more and more document files and then it's get harder to find motivation to make it done, also, takes longer to back up more files.
I don't think I'll be backing up anything as the games have cloud syncs enabled. So I guess it more that I have to find the time to do it.

purplewakanda

Gold Level Poster
@SpyderTracks I should have posted here instead of contacting Microsoft about the activation. It would be very helpful if this added to the 'to do list' for new customers buying without an OS as I read that list several times. I wished PSC gave me a heads up on this rather than saying the test windows will be fine.

Bhuna50

Author Level
@SpyderTracks I should have posted here instead of contacting Microsoft about the activation. It would be very helpful if this added to the 'to do list' for new customers buying without an OS as I read that list several times. I wished PSC gave me a heads up on this rather than saying the test windows will be fine.

PCS give the heads up in the check out process:

1620250713312.png

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
@purplewakanda needs to confirm what she has ordered first before she reinstalls uncecessarily.

FWIW - I ordered without an OS and upon first boot I was met with a desktop bakground that clearly indicated the Windows install was for testing purposes only. If the OP didn't have that screen - and ordered Window 10 Pro with her build - then I expect all is well......

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It's just expected that if you're ordering without windows, you know how to install and configure it.

PCS aren't there to advise unless asked, it's up to the buyer to know what they're ordering and be capable of managing it.

This is where I get slightly frustrated with a lot of negative feedback for PCS from people who don't understand what a custom build is and how it's very different from an off the shelf product. You need to know how to configure and manage windows, it's not the same as a Dell or something from a brand where they're making a handful of components themselves of their own designs, hence have a tiny driver library to deal with and can test compatibility between products.

That's not possible with a custom configuration, there are literally MILLIONS of different possible configurations, manufacturers can only test to best standards which are hopefully being met, but even then that's not always the case. As such configuration is so much more important that it's done correctly otherwise you face instability.

If you order a system without windows, then PCS don't owe you any software support. If you ordered with windows and have issues, you can call them up and they'll advise you, but if you order without windows, you're on your own.

Last edited: