PCS Test Windows

purplewakanda

Gold Level Poster
@purplewakanda - the last time you posted your specs in the forum it included Windows 10 Professional. According to that you would not have had a test intsllation of Windows but instead a full working licensed copy???

Your post with Specs here
@purplewakanda needs to confirm what she has ordered first before she reinstalls uncecessarily.

FWIW - I ordered without an OS and upon first boot I was met with a desktop bakground that clearly indicated the Windows install was for testing purposes only. If the OP didn't have that screen - and ordered Window 10 Pro with her build - then I expect all is well......
That's because I had activated it to Windows Pro 10 with Microsoft's help. They had a workaround. The OS was mentioned that it wasn't activated and Microsoft confirmed it was the unactivated Home edition. I'm aware the PCS don't provide OS support, that why I called Microsoft when I had key issues.

Last edited:

purplewakanda

Gold Level Poster
It's just expected that if you're ordering without windows, you know how to install and configure it.

PCS aren't there to advise unless asked, it's up to the buyer to know what they're ordering and be capable of managing it.

This is where I get slightly frustrated with a lot of negative feedback for PCS from people who don't understand what a custom build is and how it's very different from an off the shelf product. You need to know how to configure and manage windows, it's not the same as a Dell or something from a brand where they're making a handful of components themselves of their own designs, hence have a tiny driver library to deal with and can test compatibility between products.

That's not possible with a custom configuration, there are literally MILLIONS of different possible configurations, manufacturers can only test to best standards which are hopefully being met, but even then that's not always the case. As such configuration is so much more important that it's done correctly otherwise you face instability.

If you order a system without windows, then PCS don't owe you any software support. If you ordered with windows and have issues, you can call them up and they'll advise you, but if you order without windows, you're on your own.
I'm fully capable of installing and reinstalling the OS myself. I have built custom PCs myself from scratch and the installed OS. I read the information on the website as @NoddyPirate quoted. It's after that I chatted with them. See attached below. I'm frustrated that when I asked PCS to confirm confirmed it was a test OS but asked me to activate it without any reinstallations.

Screenshot 2021-05-06.jpg

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
That's because I had activated it to Windows Pro 10 with Microsoft's help. They had a workaround. The OS was mentioned that it wasn't activated and Microsoft confirmed it was the unactivated Home edition. I'm aware the PCS don't provide OS support, that why I called Microsoft when I had key issues.
Morning!

So I’m still a bit confused about your specs in the forum as they should show what you’ve ordered - not what your setup is after you received the machine.

Have you amended your order specs for occasions when you post them here possibly? If so, try to ensure that you only post your original ordered specs as it’s better for people to understand the condition the machine was delivered in.....

The idea of doing a clean install is based on the need to have as clean an install of the latest W10 build as possible alongside all updates and drivers. With a ‘no OS required’ order, PCS will install the OS only to test the system and there is no guarantee that they have used the latest drivers for all components.

Replacing and updating drivers multiple times can eventually cause issues and even Microsoft themselves include a clean install in their own troubleshooting recommendations when issues arise - so that’s why we recommend starting with the cleanest install that you can for your own sake - so that you know exactly where you started from.

Having said all that, if PCS advised you differently, you didn’t have a ‘test install’ desktop background upon first boot, and MS seem happy with your installation, then I see no reason why you can’t carry on as you are.

A clean install would be better for your own peace of mind I think, but if you’re happy and all seems fine and functioning as you wish, then carrying on as you are won’t make the world spin the wrong way around.

purplewakanda

Gold Level Poster
Morning!

So I’m still a bit confused about your specs in the forum as they should show what you’ve ordered - not what your setup is after you received the machine.

Have you amended your order specs for occasions when you post them here possibly? If so, try to ensure that you only post your original ordered specs as it’s better for people to understand the condition the machine was delivered in.....

The idea of doing a clean install is based on the need to have as clean an install of the latest W10 build as possible alongside all updates and drivers. With a ‘no OS required’ order, PCS will install the OS only to test the system and there is no guarantee that they have used the latest drivers for all components.

Replacing and updating drivers multiple times can eventually cause issues and even Microsoft themselves include a clean install in their own troubleshooting recommendations when issues arise - so that’s why we recommend starting with the cleanest install that you can for your own sake - so that you know exactly where you started from.

Having said all that, if PCS advised you differently, you didn’t have a ‘test install’ desktop background upon first boot, and MS seem happy with your installation, then I see no reason why you can’t carry on as you are.

A clean install would be better for your own peace of mind I think, but if you’re happy and all seems fine and functioning as you wish, then carrying on as you are won’t make the world spin the wrong way around.
Morning @NoddyPirate!

My specs were without an OS. Moving forward I'll post it that way and add Windows 10 Pro activated.

I understand the importance of a clean install and issues linked with replacing and updating drivers multiple times but I wasn't sure how this test OS was supposed to look like. I couldn't spot any difference upon first boot, test, or not. It didn't even have the usual watermark windows that weren't activated. Only when you try to personalize, windows asked me to activate it. Would anyone have a post or screenshot to share?

I would go ahead and go a clean install as soon as I can. I will also cross-check with PSC what my PC came with.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Morning @NoddyPirate!

My specs were without an OS. Moving forward I'll post it that way and add Windows 10 Pro activated.

I understand the importance of a clean install and issues linked with replacing and updating drivers multiple times but I wasn't sure how this test OS was supposed to look like. I couldn't spot any difference upon first boot, test, or not. It didn't even have the usual watermark windows that weren't activated. Only when you try to personalize, windows asked me to activate it. Would anyone have a post or screenshot to share?

I would go ahead and go a clean install as soon as I can. I will also cross-check with PSC what my PC came with.
I’m confused though, you can’t activate a home image with a pro license so surely Microsoft would have advised a clean install anyway?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Just for clarification, AFAIK PCS's position on the testing system they use is that it is a full Windows install with all necessary drivers. As far as they are concerned you can activate it - but as you mention they won't offer any support for it.

On the other hand (and this is where our advice comes from) if you look back through these forums you'll find countless (and I'm not kidding there) posts from users who bought with no-OS, activated the installed testing system and who later had all sorts of niggly awkward problems that were fully resolved by a clean install. We have also had more than one user who tried to active the PCS test system with a valid Windows 10 Home key and after days of pain, including talking to Microsoft, found out that in their case PCS had installed a Windows 10 Pro system. The lesson there is that because it's a system used just for testing there's no guarantee what version it is nor how it's been installed.

IMO if you're spending over £1k on a new PC without an OS it's dumb to try and save time by activating a testing OS which just happens to be lying around on the drive and about which you know nothing. Those who buy without an OS must surely know how to clean install Windows and for the life of me I can't understand why they try to avoid doing that? It's a 15 minute job to get a known clean copy of Windows installed to the same state as whatever test OS PCS installed. Why would you not do that? You always pack your own parachute.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Just for clarification, AFAIK PCS's position on the testing system they use is that it is a full Windows install with all necessary drivers. As far as they are concerned you can activate it - but as you mention they won't offer any support for it.

On the other hand (and this is where our advice comes from) if you look back through these forums you'll find countless (and I'm not kidding there) posts from users who bought with no-OS, activated the installed testing system and who later had all sorts of niggly awkward problems that were fully resolved by a clean install. We have also had more than one user who tried to active the PCS test system with a valid Windows 10 Home key and after days of pain, including talking to Microsoft, found out that in their case PCS had installed a Windows 10 Pro system. The lesson there is that because it's a system used just for testing there's no guarantee what version it is nor how it's been installed.

IMO if you're spending over £1k on a new PC without an OS it's dumb to try and save time by activating a testing OS about which you know nothing. Those who buy without an OS must surely know how to clean install Windows and for the life of me I can't understand why they try to avoid doing that? It's a 15 minute job to get a known clean copy of Windows installed to the same state as whatever test OS PCS installed. Why would you not do that? You always pack your own parachute.
That's helpful @ubuysa - I wasn't aware of any sort of test windows installation that Microsoft produce - so assumed it was an unactivated official install that PCS would use - which is what you confirm here I think?

I think in the OP's case - what it sounds like they have is a Home Edition upgraded to Pro. I don't think there would any doubt that a clean Pro install from the get go would provide a better and more stable footing to move forward with.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
That's helpful @ubuysa - I wasn't aware of any sort of test windows installation that Microsoft produce - so assumed it was an unactivated official install that PCS would use - which is what you confirm here I think?
Oh they don't, PCS use a regular Windows system for testing - but since the customer has no idea what it was used for (or even what version it is) then why would you trust it? The OS is the foundation oif everything you're going to use the PC for and if you buy with no OS why would you not want to guarantee you have a proper and clean copy fully installed?

purplewakanda

Gold Level Poster
PCS replied ' it is a full standard version of windows just like if anyone downloaded windows and installed it without activating it. All putting your key in does is activate it. You don’t need to re-install etc'

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
PCS replied ' it is a full standard version of windows just like if anyone downloaded windows and installed it without activating it. All putting your key in does is activate it. You don’t need to re-install etc'
OK. Interesting reply really - they didn’t install the Pro version which is what you told them you wanted. So you’ve got an upgraded Pro from Home rather than a clean Pro install.

I think we would all recommend a clean install regardless.

But if you’re happy then life is good.

Bhuna50

Author Level

If you read the replies before yours especially those from @ubuysa you will see that yes you can just normally 'activate' it HOWEVER, it is strongly recommended to do a clean install of whatever version you have purchased yourself elsewhere.

Providing support for many years on this site, @ubuysa and other mods advise this because just activating what PCS has put on there has led to issues before so its always best to start a CLEAN install.

19dayne

Bronze Level Poster

Hey, I'll be recieving my PC soon withOUT OS and wanted to double check on what I need to do after i get it

1. turn on the pc to check everything, it'll have a Test Windows right?
2. turn it off
3. turn it on with the usb with the Windows OS and boot up in the bios by spamming the del key? (im on 60% keyb so i'd have to click fn and spam del key right?
4. Boot the pc through the usb?
5. and i can do whatever from there? download all the stuff i need?

Please correct me if i'm wrong. thanks!

Last edited:

purplewakanda

Gold Level Poster
Hey, I'll be recieving my PC soon withOUT OS and wanted to double check on what I need to do after i get it

1. turn on the pc to check everything, it'll have a Test Windows right?
2. turn it off
3. turn it on with the usb with the Windows OS and boot up in the bios by spamming the del key? (im on 60% keyb so i'd have to click fn and spam del key right?
4. Boot the pc through the usb?
5. and i can do whatever from there? download all the stuff i need?

Please correct me if i'm wrong. thanks!
Did you purchase the PC with Windows or no operating system? The problem only occurs with PCs purchased without an operating system.