Performance dropping unexplicably

Juumanji

Hello there, I've got a problem regarding my CPU's performance. I'll try my best to describe it.

At certain intervals (which almost seems like they are set) my CPU's performance seems to drop 2-3x it's normal value. This is verified by the drop in FPS of whatever game I'm currently playing, backed up by a spike in CPU utilization of incredible levels (in the Windows Task Manager).

About the drop, it lasts about 20 seconds at a time, and the interval between them shortens if I use the computer for a long period of time. You might think that it could simply be my games just pushing the CPU, but the fact is this drop happens regardless of wether I'm playing or not. It also happens, for example, when I'm watching a stream.

AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor 3.10 GHz
8,00 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional 64bits
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560

Can anyone suggest me anything? And please don't say buy a new computer :p

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hello there, I've got a problem regarding my CPU's performance. I'll try my best to describe it.

At certain intervals (which almost seems like they are set) my CPU's performance seems to drop 2-3x it's normal value. This is verified by the drop in FPS of whatever game I'm currently playing, backed up by a spike in CPU utilization of incredible levels (in the Windows Task Manager).

About the drop, it lasts about 20 seconds at a time, and the interval between them shortens if I use the computer for a long period of time. You might think that it could simply be my games just pushing the CPU, but the fact is this drop happens regardless of wether I'm playing or not. It also happens, for example, when I'm watching a stream.

AMD FX(tm)-8120 Eight-Core Processor 3.10 GHz
8,00 GB RAM
Windows 7 Professional 64bits
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560

Can anyone suggest me anything? And please don't say buy a new computer :p

Download Speccy or HWMonitor and monitor your CPU and GPU temps whilst idle and whilst gaming, then post back with results

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Idle: 45ºC CPU, 40ºC GPU

Whilst gaming: 47ºC CPU, ~56ºC GPU, spiking at ~61ºC GPU

They seem ok, if a little high when idle, but certainly not to throttling limits when under load.

Have you updated your chipset drivers since you had the system?

Juumanji

You mean for the Motherboard, right?

Motherboard
Manufacturer ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Model M5A78L LE (AM3R2)
Chipset Vendor AMD
Chipset Model 780G
Chipset Revision 00
Southbridge Vendor AMD
Southbridge Model SB700
Southbridge Revision 00
BIOS
Brand American Megatrends Inc.
Version 0801
Date 30-11-2011
Voltage
CPU CORE 1,248 V
MEMORY CONTROLLER 1,500 V
+3.3V 1,872 V
+5V 3,447 V
+12V 8,112 V
-5V (4,800) V
+5V HIGH THRESHOLD 0,806 V
CMOS BATTERY 1,644 V

Juumanji

Thank you! I've downloaded and installed the chipset drivers, should I be upgrading any others? 71 files seems like a lot...

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thank you! I've downloaded and installed the chipset drivers, should I be upgrading any others? 71 files seems like a lot...

Just try it with the chipset ones for now. Often with cpu throttling like you're experiencing, if it's not due to high temps, then chipset drivers are the next thing to try.

See how it goes now, touch wood.