Performance Issues - Wondering whether upgrades necessary.

Hi, so I've been experiencing pretty low performance recently, particularly not being able to run Shadow of Mordor and typically only getting around 30 fps on Smite. Changing graphical settings seems to affect game performance very little and task manager shows 100% CPU load when playing. I'll leave my specs here and hopefully someone who is knowledgeable can highlight where they may be an issue and suggest a solution/upgrade. Thanks in advance.

CPU:AMD Athlon II x2 255
Motherboard: ASUS M4A78LT-M
GPU: ASUS GEFORCE GTX660 Direct CU II OC
RAM:12 GB
If you need anymore information please feel free to ask.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
the issue is the CPU, by modern standards it is very slow. it will certainly be bottlenecking the GPU.

Your only option is to buy a new machine or buy a new CPU. something like a AMD Phenom II X4 955 or higher and that would give you double the CPU power for not too much cash.

the issue is the CPU, by modern standards it is very slow. it will certainly be bottlenecking the GPU.

Your only option is to buy a new machine or buy a new CPU. something like a AMD Phenom II X4 955 or higher and that would give you double the CPU power for not too much cash.
Thanks very much, will definitely look into it.

Looking around, it seemed it would be worth it to move to a newer amd3+ processor and therefore a new motherboard. The AMD FX-4350 looked like a good buy, however I'm really feeling pretty lost with all the options and not really seeing what is best. Got any recommendations for a new motherboard + CPU combo? I guess I could even switch to Intel if that was worth it. Price range is £150-200 I guess, pretty flexible but not looking to spend extra money when all I want is to run my games.

LFFPicard

Godlike
You best bet would be just as mantadog suggested and upgrading the CPU keeping to that chipset.
The rest of your system is far better so not worth changing out other parts when a simple CPU upgrade will give you at least double performance.

You best bet would be just as mantadog suggested and upgrading the CPU keeping to that chipset.
The rest of your system is far better so not worth changing out other parts when a simple CPU upgrade will give you at least double performance.

Thanks for the advice.