Petrol Shortage

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
People really are sheep aren't they. I went to get some essentials on the way home from work and was going to fill up simply because it means I don't have to stop on the way home later in the week. However, Sainsburys had their forecourt coned off because the pumps were all out! No date has been set...you WILL need to fill up again before anything happens! DERP!

And on to pasties. Living where I do, if I see one more moaning advert or piece on the local news about the change in tax, I might just have to stop eating them (that's a complete lie, I never would, because they so pastastic!). I really don't get the hoo har over it anyway. I can't remember the last time I thought "ooo no, that pasty is a bit dear"...ITS A PASTY! People in Cornwall and the world over are not going to stop eating the delightfulness of the Cornish pasty because it went up in price by 40p!

/rant off (that's not true either, but at least it'll shut me up for now :D )

Rakk

The Awesome
People really are sheep aren't they. I went to get some essentials on the way home from work and was going to fill up simply because it means I don't have to stop on the way home later in the week. However, Sainsburys had their forecourt coned off because the pumps were all out! No date has been set...you WILL need to fill up again before anything happens! DERP!

Yeah, this panic buying is stupid, and also leaves me with a slight issue, I need petrol, not because I'm panic-ing, but because I'm actually about to run of petrol .... I only fill up my tank every 3-4 weeks (and its not a big tank) but about now is when its running out dammit .....

Corfate

Author Level
Yeah, this panic buying is stupid, and also leaves me with a slight issue, I need petrol, not because I'm panic-ing, but because I'm actually about to run of petrol .... I only fill up my tank every 3-4 weeks (and its not a big tank) but about now is when its running out dammit .....

The Tesco, just down the road from me ran out yesterday.. Im on a 1/4 of a tank, with quite a few places to go.. Oh dear.

Buzz

Master
549933_10150920212079148_668509147_12698262_663903022_n.jpg

Rakk

The Awesome
Hehe, yeah, I heard about that bloke with the sign on the traffic news this morning, it made me giggle :)

El Wayneo

Silver Level Poster
Agree that people are sheep but no on this really.

They tell you keep it topped up as theres strike action being threatened, so people obviously don't want to run out of fuel and go and fill up.

Then they turn around and say to stop panicking as the strike isn't on yet and just keep half a tank of fuel, so people go and fill up anyway.

I went and filled up my car as i have a trackday at the weekend and wouldn't want to go to the petrol station saturday morning and have to hunt around for some petrol, depends how much you need your car i guess.

They've made a quick buck on it htough as it was 1.39 by me and now both are 1.43.

Rakk

The Awesome
The problem here is though that some official said to go fill up (and that someone should be slapped round the head numeropus times) and keep a supply in jerry cans just in case, so people panic, when in fact there has to be a least a weeks notice on any strike, and that hasn't heppened yet so we're fine until after easter.

But it causes all sorts of trouble for those that would normally be filling up at that pioint cos they can't get the petrol/diesel to fill up, for example, I had to go out last night cos my little red light was flashing, I have no choice in the matter, if I didnt get petrol I'd have had to have gotten the train to work this morning, but so many are just filling up when they don't need to.

El Wayneo

Silver Level Poster
Vicious circle really, as more fill up as they hear "strike" or from their mates or whatever then more and more go and fill up so they have petrol incase it does run out, as more and more go then people will fill up petrol cans and whatever to have more if the strike lasts.

Cue running out of petrol anyway as its in everyones garage.

Buzz

Master
It seems like its happening every 2 years. Type into google ~ uk petrol shortage 20. It auto comes up 2008 and 2010 and now 2012.
2bh, Things like this are always happening. Here we get water shortages a lot. Same thing happens. Ppl run around like headless chickens. Last year with the bad weather I remember going to the shop and there was NOTHING.
Bread all gone, milk all gone etc etc. From ppl panic buying and grabbing it all up.
Yes everyone needs food/petrol/water but really anything could happen anytime of year to stop one of these things and ppl would have to just make do if had no notice at all. Which 90% the time ppl do manage, so not really sure why most ppl panic.

mishra

Rising Star
Hmm... let me think:
1. Fuel is at a record high just right now!
2. Government announcing that there may be problems in getting fuel - so better go and buy more than you need so you can be "safe"
3. Now loads of people got the fuel, and seems there may be no strike at all!

Moral?
Only people benefiting is the government (and maybe petrol stations too). All that extra money coming in from fuel tax "just happen to to be few weeks before before the financial year end" !

ps. Have to admit I filled up all the way last time I was at the pump (last week) but that is because I always fill all the way once it shows empty... so not much difference for me. On a side note thought, my 22mpg seems to be super low for nowadays standards :(

tom_gr7

Life Serving
lol only just seen this thread! hope to god these strikes dont happen! its a nightmare to get fuel from my local shell anyway as they only ever have one staff member on the tills whilst the other randomly walks around looking busy/sits in the back.....

lol nice to see the cynicism from mishra there! I was thinking something similar myself.