Phone quandry - help me out.

Boozad

Prolific Poster
Right, so it goes like this. In 2013 I've had no luck with phones whatsoever, I'd spent four years on iPhone previously with no hassles but when my last contract ran out I decided to go SIM only and keep my iPhone 4S. Sod's law, a month later I stopped getting reception on the phone and no matter what I did I couldn't resolve it. I decided to give the phone to my daughter (trimmed her SIM down and it still works fine now), and being as I hated being tied down by Apple in certain aspects (I hate iTunes for starters) I thought I'd go for an Android phone.
I'd had Sony Ericsson's for years before going to iPhone so went for the Xperia T. Initially I didn't like the Android OS and how much crap was preinstalled on the phone, but I soon got used to it and ignored the stuff I didn't want. Below is a summary of the problem/s I've had with this phone since February as I can't be arsed to type it all out again:

A Very Angry Boozad said:
My problem with my Xperia T has been ongoing since February and has finally got the better of me, basically I kept having to delete my Google account from my phone and add it again as I couldn't use the Play store, update apps or watch You Tube videos. It was annoying that it happened so often but at least I had a workaround.

Yesterday morning I woke up to find the usual warning signs at the top of my phone that apps couldn't update, so I removed my account and that's where the real trouble started. I went to add my account again but it gave me the message in the thread title, I know my password off by heart as I've had my Google account for years and I double and triple checked I was entering it correctly. No dice.
So I went on the PC and changed my password to my account, still I couldn't add my account on my phone and I knew for definite I was adding the correct password. So I set up two step verification, still no joy. I then generated an application specific password and even that didn't work. I then disabled two step verification and tried again with my new password, still no joy.

So in a nutshell I'm on the lookout for a new phone. I don't really want an Android phone because of this Google s***, it's put me off them forever, and while I'd like to steer clear of Apple again it seems my choice is narrowed down to the iPhone 5 or the Lumia 925. I generally browse the web, listen to music (I want to connect easily to my PC to import my MP3s), download comics/magazines (Comixology) etc. I'm interested in a Windows phone but I've heard the available apps are extremely limited and/or pretty rubbish.

Thoughts? Advice? I'm really beginning to hate mobile phones.

Last edited:

SmokeDarKnight

Author Level
I was an iphone fan boyeeee for a few years and changed to Samsung and have loved there phones so far on the galaxy note 2 at the moment which is a great e-reader for work when im not supposed to be reading comics etc.

I personally have had no problems with Android Play store etc and just hide all the bloatware. If you dont like Bloat you could go for one of the Google Editions like the S4 or the HTC One.

Im looking to change to the HTC One mini from my Galaxy Note 2 at the moment becuase i got a nexus 7 and would rether just tether to a smaller phone.

So my recommendations are

Note 2/3 Released soon if you like the large screen real estate
HTC One if your just looking for a good phone.

If you want to return to Apple i guess you should wait till september for the announcement.

Windows phone i really want to give a chance but dont want to get stuck with something i dont end up liking for 2 years however most contracts come with a cool of period if you dont like it.

Hope this helps a bit

Tom DWC

Would avoid Apple, the price premium just can't be justified anymore in my opinion regardless of how good the phones are, they aren't any better than the competition in 2013.

Can see why you wouldn't want another Android handset given the problems with Google you've had but I have to say the Nexus 4 is the best phone I've ever owned (and it's so much cheaper than most smartphones to buy outright and SIM free) plus no aftermarket bloatware from Samsung, HTC etc as it's just stock Android.

So maybe it would be worth you picking up a Lumia, nothing wrong with Windows phone now whatsoever, probably vastly underrated if anything. And there's always BlackBerry's new offering(s) but don't know the first thing about them.

Yamikotai

Expert
The current crop of best Android phones, in rough order of my personal favourites
- HTC One
- HTC One Google Edition
- Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (the Note 3 should be out by late November)
- Nexus 4 (though the Nexus 5 is a few months away)
- Samsung Galaxy S4 Google Edition
- Samsung Galaxy S4

I wouldn't personally recommend a Windows Phone 8 phone, but I know others who have one and quite like them.

I'm a phone hobbyist and usually upgrade at least once a year, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

Would avoid Apple, the price premium just can't be justified anymore in my opinion regardless of how good the phones are, they aren't any better than the competition in 2013.
That's a great way of saying it. It's also becoming true of Samsung; the S4 is a fair bit more expensive than it should be.

Boozad

Prolific Poster
This is where I'm a bit stuck, I don't really want Android again after this bloody problem which rules out the HTC One (which I really like the look of) and the Nexus 4 which sounds interesting coming without the bloatware. Apple's pricing definitely is too high and I'd hate to be tied into iTunes again, but if I did opt for an iPhone 5 I'd be doing it on my contract so the phone would only work out to £480 which is cheaper than I can find it when buying it outright.
It all sort of points to the Windows phone, and that really is unknown territory for me. I've read a few reviews of the Lumia 925 and they seem favourable, although the lack of a HD screen tends to put me off.

In all there seem to be downsides to all of them and this is going to be one hard choice. It really would take some convincing for me to go for another Android because as it stands my Xperia T is as much use as my old k850i was. Correction, I preferred the k850i.

Yamikotai

Expert
To my knowledge, your issues aren't present on any other Android phone. But Windows Phone 8 isn't terrible, so just have a look around the phone stores and see what they offer.

It really would take some convincing for me to go for another Android
The Xperia T isn't a great Android phone. It's not one I'd recommend (though I was unaware of the issues anyway). However the HTC One is currently the best phone currently out there. I can't recommend it enough, I really think you'd be happy with it (if it fits in your budget).

Alternatively, look at the Galaxy S3. It's still a great phone and is officially on 4.2.2, and is pretty darn cheap now. It also has the advantage of being a flagship phone rather than a mid-end phone - it tends to be better to get last year's flagship than this year's mid-end.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Ignore it when people say there are no apps on Windows Phone, most of them have never used one. I have a Lumia 920 and its great, I also have every app I need. There may not be every official app but some of the 3rd party alternatives are actually far better than the app on iOS or Android, take MetroTube for example, this is a youtube client and I prefer it any day to the standard version on iOS/Android, it looks nicer and also has the ability to preload videos.

But if you are a snappy user responding to everything as soon as possible and not wanting to be delayed, WP may become annoying as the animations are very slow, which is what makes the OS seem smooth

EDIT: Have you considered some kind of hacking to the phone, ie jailbreak for iOS would stop you being forced to sync with iTunes, and root on android would allow you to remove all the extra software you don't want, I've got my tablet to a super lightweight usage as I've disabled absolutely everything I don't need. And both are more or less risk free these days

Last edited:

Yamikotai

Expert
But if you are a snappy user responding to everything as soon as possible and not wanting to be delayed, WP may become annoying as the animations are very slow, which is what makes the OS seem smooth
That's exactly me and exactly the reason I don't like it :p I always have animations off, and use a custom launcher (Nova) which gives you an 'Instant' option for menu presses. If a menu or app is there as soon as I've pressed an icon I'm disappointed.

EDIT: Have you considered some kind of hacking to the phone, ie jailbreak for iOS would stop you being forced to sync with iTunes, and root on android would allow you to remove all the extra software you don't want, I've got my tablet to a super lightweight usage as I've disabled absolutely everything I don't need. And both are more or less risk free these days
I'd recommend that, actually.
The XDA thread is here if OP wants to try. I have experience with custom ROMs etc. if you need assistance.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
That's exactly me and exactly the reason I don't like it :p I always have animations off, and use a custom launcher (Nova) which gives you an 'Instant' option for menu presses. If a menu or app is there as soon as I've pressed an icon I'm disappointed.

The XDA thread is here if OP wants to try. I have experience with custom ROMs etc. if you need assistance.

Yeh it can be frustrating especially since ive become a much more advanced and quick user since getting the phone. I load Nova on my tablet and also turn off animations. I'd rather have a tiny stutter or lag and get it to load quicker than have to wait nearly half a second to get to the home screen because of the animation

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I've got a Sony Experia U, (relatively cheap) it does everything I need it to do perfectly fine, music, apps, email, camera's not too bad. Only 13 quid a month, unlimited net, 5000texts and 100mins. lovely jubbly!

I'd recommend a Sony Experia model anyday.

Boozad

Prolific Poster
I've got a Sony Experia U, (relatively cheap) it does everything I need it to do perfectly fine, music, apps, email, camera's not too bad. Only 13 quid a month, unlimited net, 5000texts and 100mins. lovely jubbly!

Unfortunately mate I'm going to have give that advice a miss! Like I say, I love the phone itself but the account problems I've had with it are just far too maddening for me to persevere with it.

Boozad

Prolific Poster

Cheers for the link mate I'll give that a gander. I suppose anything's worth a try although I wonder if rooting it will affect any resale value when I end up putting it on eBay?

EDIT: Some very helpful posts in here, rep going out soon.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster

Well I wouldn't take any recommendations from you, you can't spell Xperia xD

Boozad

Prolific Poster
I went with the iPhone 5 eventually. I tried everything with the Xperia T but still couldn't add an account, shame as I did like it. I now have a new phone and a £300 alarm clock that looks like a Sony phone.

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Let me know what you think of the iphone after a few weeks use Booz. My upgrade is in November and still toying whether to give an iphone a go. Bit disappointed with my Galaxy S2's lifetime to be honest. Not even 2 years old and it performs pretty poorly to be honest even for standard tasks like texting. I suppose a factory reset might fix my issues but can't really be bummed with the hassle!

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Let me know what you think of the iphone after a few weeks use Booz. My upgrade is in November and still toying whether to give an iphone a go. Bit disappointed with my Galaxy S2's lifetime to be honest. Not even 2 years old and it performs pretty poorly to be honest even for standard tasks like texting. I suppose a factory reset might fix my issues but can't really be bummed with the hassle!

I've seen peoples iPhone 4S' like that too though, infact most of the ones ive seen are lagging.

There are a lot of things you can do to improve the performance of an android device without a reset, heres a few things you can do

Uninstall unused apps, old games etc
Disable unused pre-installed apps, things like google+ which is always running
Use a different launcher, I personally recommend Apex, its free and the home screen performance is better.
Clean out unwanted files.
Don't use a live wallpaper
Reduce number of widgets

Then there are more advanced things which would be more effective but are also more risky such as
Rooting - allows a lot of extra things to customize the OS, to clean it up more and perform better.
Custom Kernels - allows overclocking
Custom ROMs - change the phone OS completely, usually faster and looks better

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Cheers Wozza, I know what you mean about iPhone 4S's being slow as well but they seem to be a lot easier to get 'clean' rather than cluttered with rubbish (don't know what half the things in my files section are!).

I'll give some of those a go though, it could be down to my launcher actually. I'm using GOLauncher as it grouped everything alphabetically in the app tray whereas the standard launcher didn't. Do you reckon if I go back to standard it might improve it a bit? I don't have widgets on other than a digital clock, the rest is pretty much standard. Will delete a few apps and try to reduce my background activities though! I frequently clear ram and end tasks on the task manager but its getting to the point now where it can quite easily be up to 700mb out of 800mb ram without me really doing anything... My phone also gets ridiculously hot sometimes as well even when it's not on charge... It practically burned my leg through my pocket the other week... Even though it has a pretty thick case on it... -.-