Photoshop and Lightroom Discussion

Stephen M

Author Level
That is a really good picture and a view I know quite well, usually go through Painswick and Leckhampton on the way to Cheltenham from Stroud.

When we are all allowed out again a picture of the Cheese Rolling would be great.

Bhuna50

Author Level
That is a really good picture and a view I know quite well, usually go through Painswick and Leckhampton on the way to Cheltenham from Stroud.

When we are all allowed out again a picture of the Cheese Rolling would be great.
Never been to the cheese rolling :D - always gets so packed up there.

Stephen M

Author Level
Likewise but know quite a few who have competed. Just thought that this great event may not be known to everyone, although it should be: en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooper%27s_Hill_Cheese-Rolling_and_Wake

Not sure if you have heard of this but some years ago there was debate about the cheese, saying it should be a single Gloucester.

Have no idea whether that correct but do know I prefer the Single to the Double.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Just thought I would let you know that I have just merged 21 photos together and this utilised at one point 60% of my RAM so 64GB RAM comes in handy LOL.

This was in Lightroom and was basically a panoramic HDR landscape ( 7 wide - pano - by 3 shots each - for HDRmerge) - I only took this to test how much it would use up LOL - can be seen here:

I also did a slightly smaller version:

LeckhamptonHillP.jpg

It's looking down on Cheltenham from Leckhampton Hill - in the middle in the distance is the GCHQ donut :D
Love it! Beautiful colours and what a clear day!!!

Yes it is amazing to me to see how much RAM get eaten up. Amazing that half a GB of images needs 30 GB's RAM to be figured out!!

Bhuna50

Author Level
You seen the two walkers down in the field on the right too? Lol.

Not bad for my Canon 700D with 24-105L F4 lens.

I was picking out a few landmarks and you can GCHQ donut, Cheltenham Racecourse, Eagle Tower block (I used to work in there many years ago) and to the left I was trying to see how much of Gloucester I got. Lol.

I couldn’t find CTFC ground though not sure I got the correct angle for it to show lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bhuna50

Author Level
Love it! Beautiful colours and what a clear day!!!

Yes it is amazing to me to see how much RAM get eaten up. Amazing that half a GB of images needs 30 GB's RAM to be figured out!!

If I remember tomorrow when logged back in on laptop I will total the actual files sizes up.

I also want to see how Photoshop copes with the same task but it’s finding the time and I think I have to do HDR then Pano separately whereas LR does it all in one Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stephen M

Author Level
I was trying to work out if Whaddon Road was on there but not sure. Regularly got lost trying to find sports venues there, exception the College Cricket Ground, that is easy to find.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
21 .cr2 files = 466 MB, creating a 1 x 199MB .dng file when put together.
Lightroom really is RAM heavy when you see the ampount it needs to deal with that amount of data. My experience has been that the same or similar fucntion within PS doens't need anywhere near as much RAM - will be interesting to see if that's the same for you??

Bhuna50

Author Level
But I did manage to zoom in with my 70-300 lens and get some shots of some Cheltenham landmarks:

GCHQ donut:
3.2 miles away

www.aj1.co.uk/GCHQ.jpg

Eagle Tower - former Eagle Star Insurance building:

www.aj1.co.uk/EagleTower.jpg

(2 miles away)

Cheltenham Racecourse (3.5 miles) in background and you can just make out Cheltenham Town Football Club (3 miles) in the middle - look for the colourful advertising boards:

www.aj1.co.uk/CTFC.jpg

and finally, the Cheltenham Racecourse stadiums (3.5 miles) :

www.aj1.co.uk/racecourse.jpg

All these, I was up a place called Leckhampton Hill / Charlton Kings Common - overlooking the town.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Super! Panoramas are fun!

I love the dimensions of this one as it's uploaded - 2048 x 174! :D

Bhuna50

Author Level
Had another walk with the dogs today up a place called Cleeve Hill Common - which has a different view point/angle over Cheltenham so was able to get some better shots of things than from my previous post above.

Pano of Cheltenham from the hill:

www.aj1.co.uk/cleeve/Cheltenham.jpg

A look up towards the Common - the lone tree you see standing here in this picture has memorials around the bottom of it. It is the highest tree in the cotswolds apparently :D

www.aj1.co.uk/cleeve/CleeveCommon.jpg

Closer view of the tree:

www.aj1.co.uk/cleeve/tree.jpg

Better angle of the stadium of the best League 2 football team (2.3 miles away from viewpoint) - Whaddon Road (or the Johnny Rocks Stadium) - currently top of the table so I can say that lol.

www.aj1.co.uk/cleeve/CTFC1.jpg

My two dogs (about ten metres away LOL):

www.aj1.co.uk/cleeve/footballanyone.jpg

This one covers a few landmarks here in Cheltenham. Gloucestershire Airport (6.6 miles in distance) in the background, then the GCHQ doughnut building (4.8 miles), and then the big playing field is the home of Cheltenham Saracens RFC (4 miles).

www.aj1.co.uk/cleeve/GlosAirDonutSaracens.jpg

Finally, my favourite mini pano of the lot - Cheltenham Racecourse (2 miles away) as seen from Cleeve Hill.

www.aj1.co.uk/cleeve/Racecourse.jpg

Sorry - I know this was more of a tech chat thread, but any tech questions about the panos etc - happy to answer LOL :D

Andy.