Playing games in 3D

egorgeg

Enthusiast
I recently made my new 55" LG 3D TV as my main monitor. Mainly for the size and because I wanted to play my PC games in 3D. How do I go about doing that? I've searched on the internet and all people are talking about is Nvidia cards. I have an AMD HD7990. I've had a extensive look through all Catalyst Control Centre options and not found one for 3D display. How do I do it?

steaky360

I'm not sure its as simple as just changing a setting with a 3D TV. I know with Nvidia you're supposed to use 3DTV to get 3D content via your television. I've had some success with tridef and apparently its meant to be better with AMD cards, you could give it a shot? Free trial is available.

http://www.tridef.com/

egorgeg

Enthusiast
Just tried it out with Company of Heroes 2 (didn't even know this was in 3D) and Counter Strike. Works perfectly, and is amazing. Is it worth paying $39.99 (around £24.60 for me). I will try it more over the 14 day trial and see. So far it's great.

steaky360

I think it will do most games regardless of whether they natively support 3D or not. I guess if they don't its not going to be as good as those games which 'do' support it.

As for whether its worth it, that's up to you really. You might be able to find a free way to do the same thing (I couldn't but my google fu is failing as of late).

egorgeg

Enthusiast
Yeah, Company of Heroes 2 is not native 3D, so I noticed a few weird artefacts, and "Ghosts objects" on the screen. But it was in 3D and looked amazing. Got to try it out on a lot more games to see if I will buy it. If I can get it to work for free that would be awesome, but I don't mind spending like £25.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Don't get the 3D hype myself. I occasionally have to sit through it in the cinema and I have to pay extra for the privilege of having a headache and eye ache.

egorgeg

Enthusiast
Don't get the 3D hype myself. I occasionally have to sit through it in the cinema and I have to pay extra for the privilege of having a headache and eye ache.

I think it's amazing, while I still get a headache at times I will get used it eventually.

One thing with this program, how do I tell it to NOT make a game 3D. Trying to play Endless Legend in 3D it's all distorted, so it clearly isn't going to work for it.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
Perhaps the experience works better for some than others? Experience is sub par to me. I would prefer to invest it in a higher res screen or more screens, and a better graphics card.

steaky360

One thing with this program, how do I tell it to NOT make a game 3D. Trying to play Endless Legend in 3D it's all distorted, so it clearly isn't going to work for it.

I think you just launch the game normally (ie not through tridef). There's also a hotkey, think its one of the F# keys but the settings will tell you which one.

You can make games appear farther out of the screen etc. (cant remember the proper term) and if its a game that isn't natively 3D then I'd recommend setting that pretty low, minimises the bugs and glitches.

Some games really do look the part in 3D though, I've never really experienced headaches etc with the 3D stuff and I do enjoy 3D movies.

egorgeg

Enthusiast
I think you just launch the game normally (ie not through tridef). There's also a hotkey, think its one of the F# keys but the settings will tell you which one.

You can make games appear farther out of the screen etc. (cant remember the proper term) and if its a game that isn't natively 3D then I'd recommend setting that pretty low, minimises the bugs and glitches.

Some games really do look the part in 3D though, I've never really experienced headaches etc with the 3D stuff and I do enjoy 3D movies.

tried the hotkeys, and also tried launching the game from Steam itself and not through TruDef, still tries it in 3D and is blurry.

steaky360

tried the hotkeys, and also tried launching the game from Steam itself and not through TruDef, still tries it in 3D and is blurry.

Thats unusual, mine only ever does the 3D stuff if I launch the game through tridef.... hmmmm

egorgeg

Enthusiast
Thats unusual, mine only ever does the 3D stuff if I launch the game through tridef.... hmmmm

Kind of a big issue, as the game is unplayable blocky, so I cant even play it. I will launch the game tomorrow when my Pc has been off, and see if it does it then.

egorgeg

Enthusiast
Worked it out, I just went into the settings and manually switched setting around. there was an option for "Power3D" that was set to off. I turned it on and issue solved. All good now :)