Please advise me on this gaming laptop

gr1980

Hello!

I would like to get some advice on whether this gaming laptop is sufficient, in particular the graphics card and memory. I want to play games and record music and watch films.

£1700 is around my maximum budget, but am prepared to go over a bit, but absolutely no more than £1800.

Thank you!

Chassis & Display
Vyper Series: 17.3" Matte Full HD 144Hz 72% NTSC LED Widescreen (1920x1080)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor 10875H (2.3GHz, 5.1GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2400MHz SODIMM DDR4 (1 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
Memory Card Reader
Integrated 3 in 1 Card Reader (Full Size SD / SDHC / SDXC)
AC Adaptor
1 x 230W AC Adaptor
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Battery
Vyper Series 91WH Lithium Ion Battery
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack
Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX201 (2.4 Gbps) + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
1 x THUNDERBOLT 3 PORT + 3 x USB 3.1 PORTS
Keyboard Language
VYPER 17 SERIES RGB BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft® Office® 365 (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Microsoft® Edge (Windows 10 Only)
Notebook Mouse
INTEGRATED 2 BUTTON TOUCHPAD MOUSE
Webcam
INTEGRATED 1MP HD WEBCAM
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Chassis
TongFang GM7MP7P (8GB RTX-2070, i7-10875H, 144Hz, Blank KB)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
That looks pretty sweet, only thing I'd add would be a 1Tb 7200rpm HDD for storage, but otherwise it's perfect.

gr1980

That looks pretty sweet, only thing I'd add would be a 1Tb 7200rpm HDD for storage, but otherwise it's perfect.

Thanks SpyderTracks.

I have an external drive, which is why I skipped on storage. I also have all my Steam games on this drive too, do you think I should still add one in?

I'm just wondering - what is the difference between 1 x 16GB vs 2 x 8GB? Is there an advantage of using one over the other?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks SpyderTracks.

I have an external drive, which is why I skipped on storage. I also have all my Steam games on this drive too, do you think I should still add one in?

I'm just wondering - what is the difference between 1 x 16GB vs 2 x 8GB? Is there an advantage of using one over the other?
You really don’t want to use you’re games from external storage, not a good experience and internal HDD’s aren’t very expensive at all.

RAM works best in pairs, you actually gain a small performance increase with a pair, so best to select 2x8gb

gr1980

You really don’t want to use you’re games from external storage, not a good experience and internal HDD’s aren’t very expensive at all.

RAM works best in pairs, you actually gain a small performance increase with a pair, so best to select 2x8gb

Thanks again, I will make the recommended changes and update my order.

Unfortunately you cant have an internal HDD on this computer - only solid state.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I would suggest upping the primary ssd to 1Tb then, won’t be much more.

You can reduce it to the PCS basic drive if you wanted to save some cash, they’re still excellent.

gr1980

I would suggest upping the primary ssd to 1Tb then, won’t be much more.

OK I will do this. Thank you, your help is appreciated.

EDIT: Just ordered and I can't wait. Should be here May / June (fingers crossed). It will be a nice surprise as I will probably have forgotten that I have ordered it by then!

gr1980

I thought I would ask here instead of starting a new thread -

I realise the Vyper has a Thunderbolt port so I'm wondering if this is a good adapter to allow me to plug in my trusty Logitech gamepad?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
You know what - you're right!! I was getting USB 3.1 and USB C mixed up!!

My mistake.
Their naming convention for USB is rediculous, not PCS, but the USB standards people.

thankfully, the next standard of USB is just going to be called USB 4 and apparently it merges thunderbolt and USB going forwards! At long last!

Tetleysteabags

Their naming convention for USB is rediculous, not PCS, but the USB standards people.

thankfully, the next standard of USB is just going to be called USB 4 and apparently it merges thunderbolt and USB going forwards! At long last!

Hello! I'm also in the market for a laptop although I'm looking to buy a primarily work focused one with the option of gaming. Have ended up with a 14" with the Mx250 which is good enough for the games I play, but I'd like the option of a eGPU if I ever decide to play some AAA games. Which comes to my question!

The laptop I've configured doesn't specifically say it has a thunderbolt port, but it has a 3.1 USB C port and a 3.1 non USB C. Is my understanding wrong that I can use the USB C port for an eGPU?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The laptop I've configured doesn't specifically say it has a thunderbolt port, but it has a 3.1 USB C port and a 3.1 non USB C. Is my understanding wrong that I can use the USB C port for an eGPU?
USB C doesn't mean thunderbolt, it needs to specifically say "Thunderbolt" or "Thunderbolt over USB"

If it doesn't mention thunderbolt then it's just USB which is just a data connection and doesn't carry video.