Please Feed my back - gaming build on small form factor pc

Nordstrom

Hey guys, any feedback on this gaming build will be appreciated.
Striving for a strong gamer build, with ability to to do some light graphic design on as well. A build that means I don't have to change anything for quite some years.

Small form factor PC a must - is the cooling going to be sufficient on this one? My main (and perhaps very novice) concern.

Going to buy a new monitor to go with it (input in this regard are also welcome)

CASE NZXT H1 GAMING-KABINET (HVID)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-10700K (3.8GHz) 16MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX Z490-I GAMING (Mini-ITX, LGA1200, USB 3.2) - ARGB Klar
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics card
8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 SUPER - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Klar!
1.storage drive
2TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (optil 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
1. M.2 SSD-drev
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
Powersupply
NZXT INTEGRATED 650W 80+ GOLD STRØMFORSYNING
Power cable
1 x 1 Meter Europæisk Strømkabel (Kettle Lead)
Processor cooling
NZXT 140mm watercooler INTEGRATED
Thermal paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EKSTREM TERMOKONDUKTIVITETSSAMMENSÆTNING
Sound card
ONBOARD 6 KANAL(5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (SOM STANDARD)
wireless/wired networking
GIGABIT LAN PORT + Wi-Fi
USB/Thunderbolt options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 4 x USB 2.0 PORTE @ BAGPANEL + MIN. 2 FRONTPORTE
Operativsystem
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Enkeltlicens [KUK-00001]

Nordstrom

Hi NurseMorph!

Thc for your questions, appreciated!
I am certaintly no expert in PC building, but have tried to do my (likely amateur) homework, so thx a bunch for checking in to see if I got it right. As background info, I originally toyed with the idea of buing an Origen Chronos or a Corsair One.. but becomes pricey really quickly even specked with "lower grade" parts, than in this build that I posted..

What are the maximum dimensions the case can be? Just to see if we can put in a slightly bigger case...personally, I'd be apprehensive putting in a heat producing GPU like the 2080S in such a small case (though, in fairness, I don't know the case at all so not sure of it's airflow)

I don't really have a "real" max of dimension, but a wanna go below a tower and midi tower - based on the desire to make it fit into a my livingroom, and hopefully on my desk that isn't not gigantic. - I picked this case for these reasons, and for another reason - I love the classical design. Design is a major factor for me (and for my partner :D )

As far as i gather the heat should be manageable with the NZXT H1 , since it is designed to hold full sized GPU's, and looking at some reviews and tests, it seems to be holding up to running a decent sized CPU in combination with the 2080 Super (here Kitguru with Rysen 9 and 2080 Super). There are more tests out here with similar results. And I added the integrated watercooling to it to get as much cold as possible inside the tiny box.

But that being said, I understand your concern which is also my main reason for asking for feedback..

Maximum budget? To know what we are working with?

It is around 2400 GBP

What level of gaming are you looking for here? 1080p?1440p? 4k? What budget do you have for the monitor? For gaming, GPU and monitor are a matched pair so, once we know the resolution and refresh rate we are aiming for, we can suggest the approrpriate pair

- Biggest monitor size allowable, assuming space is limited for the monitor as well? Seems like a strange question but, depending on budget, monitors go up to 49"....don't want to recommend say, a 35" screen if 27" is the absolute maximum

Looking for 1440p ish.. I think.. I am actually not necessarily a spec junky in this regard. But I want to be able to run and enjoy games smoothly at high settings - Monitor budget around 250 GBP - Monitor size around 35" (?)

I would also suggest, for your uses, an AMD build is likely better...but we can cover that once we know the further details

I am open for switching to AMD if needed. But after going through various tests and comparisons, I ended up opting for intel i7 mainly for gaming performance, but also for the lower CPU temperature that i some tests showed in comparison with Rysen 7 and 9.. Are they right? No idea.. and FYI graphic design needs comes in at a solid second place for this build.. I only tinker a bit, and mainly on small projects..

But would love to hear about your reasoning for the AMD suggestion...

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
but also for the lower CPU temperature that i some tests showed in comparison with Rysen 7 and 9.. Are they right?
That’s completely inaccurate. Ryzen 3000 or 4000 will operate in the mid 80’s whereas intels are in the mid 90’s. Intels also use substantially more power for no return. They’re just awful chips.

We have by no means seen the last of Intels security flaws also, and each time they’re patched it further reduces performance. Awful awful chips.

Plus when they state “Intel is the gaming king” it’s really only at 1080p. As soon as you scale up, the load is transferred more to the gpu. When you get to 4k, the £100 3300x actually consistently outperforms the £500 10900k.

Last edited:

Nordstrom

The big problem we have here is around the graphics card....the 2080 Super is currently out of stock until the 1st October. The advice from most of us currently when it comes to high-end systems: Hold off for now as there are new, much more powerful GPUs coming soon (an official announcement on prices and release dates will be in 4 days..1st September), likely starting mid-Spetember. They are possibly going to have an up to 40% performance boost without a 40% price increase depending on the card...along with Ray Tracing.

Thx for the advice on GPU's - I can wait a bit, and based on your input it sounds like I would be kinda stupid not to. But might as well warn you now, I will likely circle back and ask for your recommendation on if I should stay on the 2080 Super, or actually invest in some of the, so far undisclosed, new stuff..

For gaming, Intel may gain you a handful of fps but you pay more for that small handful...AMD also aren't beset with the security flaws Intel have had the last few years which impact on performance. As to temperature, would be interesting to see where you heard that as everything I know says Intel chips run hotter than AMD chips in a like-for-like situation. AMD are also far superior when it comes to multi-core/thread scenarios. Overall, AMD are better value for money and only really recommended for 1080p 240Hz competitive gaming where fps is critical and graphic quality is not even relevant. Ultimately though, if you want Intel, then it's your money.

That’s completely inaccurate. Ryzen 3000 or 4000 will operate in the mid 80’s whereas intels are in the mid 90’s. Intels also use substantially more power for no return. They’re just awful chips.

We have by no means seen the last of Intels security flaws also, and each time they’re patched it further reduces performance. Awful awful chips.

Plus when they state “Intel is the gaming king” it’s really only at 1080p. As soon as you scale up, the load is transferred more to the gpu. When you get to 4k, the £100 3300x actually consistently outperforms the £500 10900k.

Thx to both of you Nurse and Spyder - Based on your comments and feedback it looks like the scales are tipping in the favour of AMD. Went back to look at some of the test I referred to on the temperature difference between AMD and Intel, and found them to be flawed. (I blame late night research).

I would love to ask both of you, which Ryzen you would recommend me to add to the system. Knowing that Ryzen 5 would prob do the job for me, I am inclined to choose the Rysen 7 3800X or the 3700X for the added cores and for "future proving". But would love to hear your recommendations on the matter..

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thx for the advice on GPU's - I can wait a bit, and based on your input it sounds like I would be kinda stupid not to. But might as well warn you now, I will likely circle back and ask for your recommendation on if I should stay on the 2080 Super, or actually invest in some of the, so far undisclosed, new stuff..

Thx to both of you Nurse and Spyder - Based on your comments and feedback it looks like the scales are tipping in the favour of AMD. Went back to look at some of the test I referred to on the temperature difference between AMD and Intel, and found them to be flawed. (I blame late night research).

I would love to ask both of you, which Ryzen you would recommend me to add to the system. Knowing that Ryzen 5 would prob do the job for me, I am inclined to choose the Rysen 7 3800X or the 3700X for the added cores and for "future proving". But would love to hear your recommendations on the matter..
At this budget, I would consider the 3800x personally, it’s overspecced but actually not much more expensive than the 3700x. Like you say it’s worthwhile for the future of the build.

Nordstrom

Thx for feedback, once again. It is highly appreciated!

A new variation of the build would look like this.
All though I would love to hear your input on, which motherboard I should choose? Bcs, well, I simply don’t know :D

Go with the: ASUS ROG Strix X570 or the GIGAByte 450

CASE
NZXT H1 GAMING-KABINET (HVID)
Processor (CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Eight Core CPU (3.9GHz-4.5GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO Wi-Fi AC (DDR4, USB 3.1, 6Gb/s) - RGB-klar!
Memory (RAM)
Graphics card
1.storage drive
1. M.2 SSD-drev
Powersupply
Power cable
Processor cooling
NZXT 140mm Vandkøler INTEGRATED
Thermal paste
Sound card
GIGABIT LAN PORT + Wi-Fi (Wi-Fi ekskluderet på A320I-K)
Options for USB/Thunderbolt
Operativsystem

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thx for feedback, once again. It is highly appreciated!

A new variation of the build would look like this.
All though I would love to hear your input on, which motherboard I should choose? Bcs, well, I simply don’t know :D

Go with the: ASUS ROG Strix X570 or the GIGAByte 450

CASE
NZXT H1 GAMING-KABINET (HVID)
Processor (CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Eight Core CPU (3.9GHz-4.5GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO Wi-Fi AC (DDR4, USB 3.1, 6Gb/s) - RGB-klar!
Memory (RAM)
Graphics card
1.storage drive
1. M.2 SSD-drev
Powersupply
Power cable
Processor cooling
NZXT 140mm Vandkøler INTEGRATED
Thermal paste
Sound card
GIGABIT LAN PORT + Wi-Fi (Wi-Fi ekskluderet på A320I-K)
Options for USB/Thunderbolt
Operativsystem
That looks spot on (y)

Out of the coolers, I do think the NZXT 140mm cooler is actually the best option, I've seen a few reviews where it's been able to keep the 3900 under check so should be fine with the 3800x.

Sidenote.... I absolutely love that case, it's just phenominally good, and really the first time that a SFF build of this caliber has really been so entirely possible cooling wise.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Sorry, almost missed it, I would up to the X570 Strix as it has better VRM voltage regulation, which given the increased cooling requirements I think would be beneficial in the long term.

It also gives better upgrade support.

Nordstrom

Out of the coolers, I do think the NZXT 140mm cooler is actually the best option, I've seen a few reviews where it's been able to keep the 3900 under check so should be fine with the 3800x.
Yeah I was also guessing as much, but since it will stand literally right next to me on my desk, I opted for watercooling, simply for less noise..

Sorry, almost missed it, I would up to the X570 Strix as it has better VRM voltage regulation, which given the increased cooling requirements I think would be beneficial in the long term.

It also gives better upgrade support.

Roger that!

Sidenote.... I absolutely love that case, it's just phenominally good, and really the first time that a SFF build of this caliber has really been so entirely possible cooling wise.
YES! I'm a huge fan of it, right of the bat.. !

And again - Thx a bunch Spyder. Your advice is much appreciated! 🙏

Nordstrom

Even though it is very likely way to early to post this question, I'm gonna do it anyway, simply to try to add some realism to my theorycrafting.. Enter you guys..

After the publication of the new 3070 and 3080 my build I am wondering if I should revise my build (see above). The build that both of you @Nursemorph and @SpyderTracks so graciously helped me to improve..

Originally i wanted to go for the 2080 Super.. you adviced me to wait (thank you).. with the new 3000 series that seems kinda stupid. same price range, and more muscles.

But.. The NZXT H1 GAMING-KABINET, that I love dearly.. only supports 650W - and the new 3080 needs 750W. Plus likely will give off more heat. Meaning, if I want that GPU, it is bye bye to my beloved NZXT H1 case as far as i can see.

The 3070 "only" needs 650w - so it should fit nicely.. and based on latest news, it should be able to outperform both the 2080 Super and the 2080 TI.. Lets see how it turns out of course..

But what are your initial thoughts at this current moment?
Given that I do have the budget for going with the 3080, Is it stupid to "settle for" the 3070?
(meaning: eat a cookie - find another case (like the Nxzt h210i) - and save money in the proces, )

Perhaps not a clear cut question, but would love to hear your initial thoughts :)
Thx in advance!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Even though it is very likely way to early to post this question, I'm gonna do it anyway, simply to try to add some realism to my theorycrafting.. Enter you guys..

After the publication of the new 3070 and 3080 my build I am wondering if I should revise my build (see above). The build that both of you @Nursemorph and @SpyderTracks so graciously helped me to improve..

Originally i wanted to go for the 2080 Super.. you adviced me to wait (thank you).. with the new 3000 series that seems kinda stupid. same price range, and more muscles.

But.. The NZXT H1 GAMING-KABINET, that I love dearly.. only supports 650W - and the new 3080 needs 750W. Plus likely will give off more heat. Meaning, if I want that GPU, it is bye bye to my beloved NZXT H1 case as far as i can see.

The 3070 "only" needs 650w - so it should fit nicely.. and based on latest news, it should be able to outperform both the 2080 Super and the 2080 TI.. Lets see how it turns out of course..

But what are your initial thoughts at this current moment?
Given that I do have the budget for going with the 3080, Is it stupid to "settle for" the 3070?
(meaning: eat a cookie - find another case (like the Nxzt h210i) - and save money in the proces, )

Perhaps not a clear cut question, but would love to hear your initial thoughts
Thx in advance!
The 3070 is no slouch at all, and (awaiting 3rd party review confirmation) should be able to handle 4k 144Hz admirably, and even a Superwide monitor at around 100Hz both of which are premium display options at the moment.

I'm sure there will be newer displays hitting the market over the next year to make better use of the 3080, but currently the 3070 will fit the bill very well with premium monitor options.