Please help me build a gaming laptop

Hi Folks,

I'm looking for some help to build a gaming laptop for which i am hoping to obtain a grant. Thus i am looking initially to set a realistic budget for my needs before settling on a final build once a grant/funding has been approved. I have never build a computer previously but am willing to invest time and energy in learning how to maintain a machine like this if it means i will get better value for money/a higher spec and the ability to upgrade parts over time to extend the life of my laptop.

Firstly some background info on myself and how i use my current computers:

I have very complex health conditions and have 24/hr live in care at home. Through covid my computer has been my lifeline whilst i have been totally isolated at home from the outside world. I use my laptop for helping to manage my health conditions, medical treatment and care team, it is my window to the world through which i connect with all my friends and support networks, attend appointments via video calls, continue learning about my craft- pottery- whilst my 1 day a week face to face sessions are on hold - and most importantly it has become a very important tool for managing my stress and anxiety levels.

I suffer from a condition called secondary adrenal insufficiency, where stress can basically make me life threateningly ill, through something called an adrenal crisis. I have gone through some extremely stressful times in the past 3 years due to family circumstances and gaming became my solace. I began playing games on my laptop for a couple of hours each day as a way of escaping from my surroundings and to give myself some anxiety free space. I play sedate simulation games like the sims 4, cities skylines, 2 point hospital etc and would love to play planet zoo too and find that having full control over a sandbox type game (rather than playing the high energy, high anxiety, AAA games) gives me a sense of control when things around me are chaotic and extremely stressful- in some ways it is a form of mindfulness for me, which also gives me a sense of achievement when so many of my previous hobbies are no longer possible due to the physical restrictions of my disabilities and health conditions. Unfortunately my laptop of 10 years has now completely died on me and the 2nd hand Acer mini computer i have been using as a stop gap is not at all up to the job. It doesn't even have a dedicated graphics card and cannot be upgraded.... it keeps freezing up on me and crashing- i cant play any games. Thus the need for a new laptop.

I would really appreciate your help to put together a machine that will meet my needs:

SPEC:

* A Laptop - Preferably 17" but am happy to consider a 15" build. My plan is to connect my laptop to a dock whilst using it in my bedroom for main gaming (i currently have a monitor hanging from an arm over my bed with bluetooth keyboard/mouse). I could then use the laptop elsewhere in the house during the daytime for things like internet browsing, health/care/medication management, writing letters and having zoom meetings. I could also then take my laptop with me to hospital admissions and when having respite care stays in nursing homes (at the age of 33... i need to take entertainment with me!)

* RGB Keyboard - Im going to be honest that the full RGB keyboard is a shallow gimmick that really appeals to me <3 and i particularly like the sound of the 4-zone RGB keyboard that some models boast. I think that means im looking at the Iconico and the Recoil chasis'?

* Processing - Capable of heavy loads in terms of having a lot of windows open at the same time- a bad habit of mine. But i dont have any specific plans to use it for video editing or streaming. I do however have a LOT of photos and music, which is backed up to the cloud, but i would like to have stored locally on one of my drives.

* Hard Drives - Atleast 2 drives. SSD is new to me as they were extremely expensive when i was purchasing my old laptop (Samsung Series 5 550P7C) I would love some education on how it works having a boot drive and a storage drive- where do you store the files for gaming? I currently have atleast 500GB of photos and music files, so storage drive would need to be atleast 1TB but would welcome advice on how big a drive would be sensible for me going forwards.

* Gaming - i currently am only able to play the sims4 on my Acer desktop, and that struggles. I have all 30 something DLC packs though, plus some CC! I also love other simulation games like cities skylines, 2point hospital, planet coaster and am interested in exploring more of these games, flight sim, minecraft etc, when i have a computer that allows me to! The one game i REALLY want to play is Planet Zoo and i know that this has a higher than average recommended specs than other simulation games, so i want to meet these spec requirements as a minimum, and perhaps a little above if it means that my computer is going to be well future proofed. I do not play AAA high end games. Link to Planet Zoo recommended specs: https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/planet-zoo/18717

* Monitor - I'm currently using a very basic 24" Samsung T24H390S LED monitor- it's 1920 x 1080P, 60Htz refresh rate and 15ms response time. I am aware that this is a low spec monitor but would welcome recommendations for an upgrade when funds allow.

BUDGET - Initially for my funding application i need to outline a budget. I had come to the conclusion myself that a budget of £1,500 would be appropriate, but i would appreciate some feedback on whether this is grossly over or under estimating for a machine of my needs. Obviously the less i ask for the more likely i am to get it, but there is also no point in asking for £500 for a machine that simply isn't going to meet my needs. I would like a computer that is going to meet my needs for many years, like my previous laptop did.

I would really appreciate some inital feedback on the budget and then some suggested builds that would fit that budget, if anyone is able to help me at all. I really do want to take the time to learn about building and maintaining a bespoke machine and would appreciate your guidance on where to go to start learning.

Many thanks for your help,

Anna

Unfortunately, I can't share the full specs via the configurator because the graphics cards are not in stock, but these are the specs for what i guess i have been considering as "minimum required specs" VS my "ideal specs".

There are lots of questions i have, from more woolly questions like "how much price difference does a 15.6" chasis have compared to a 17.3 and is it worth it for the extra screen space when my primary gaming will be done on an external monitor?" to the more technical "is 16GB RAM going to be enough to future proof me for the kind of games i am playing? or would 32GB be important?" and "NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 / 3070 / 3080 - which of these is most suitable for my level of gaming, allowing for the advancement of technology over the next few years, without totally over specing things? Or would i be better to drop back to the 2060/2070/2080 graphics cards?! I worry that starting out with an already out of date graphics card isnt going to do me any favours in the long run...". Another one that springs to mind is "should i be looking at something more economical than samsung SSD's or should i stick with a brand i trust?".

Minimum Spec:

Chassis & Display

Ionico Series: 15.6" Matte QHD 165Hz sRGB 100% LED Widescreen (2560x1440)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor 10875H (2.3GHz, 5.1GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair 2933MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3060 - 6.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND

Ideal Spec:

Chassis & Display

Ionico Series: 17.3" Matte QHD 165Hz sRGB 100% LED Widescreen (2560x1440)
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor 10875H (2.3GHz, 5.1GHz Turbo)
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair 2933MHz SODIMM DDR4 (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 3070 - 8.0GB GDDR6 Video RAM - DirectX® 12.1
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND

I would really really welcome your thoughts on how appropriate this range of spec is for the type of use i am hoping to get out of my gaming laptop- is the low end spec just too low for it to give me decent capability and future proofing? Is the top end way way beyond my needs? Or even is the low spec well above what i will ever want/need and more than meets my requirements and anything else would be a waste of money on technical power i will never utilise?

Thanks,

Anna

Bhuna50

Author Level
Welcome to the forum Anna.

Just some comments mixed in with a few questions to help narrow down what I think might fit your requirements:

SPEC:

* A Laptop - Preferably 17" but am happy to consider a 15" build. My plan is to connect my laptop to a dock whilst using it in my bedroom for main gaming (i currently have a monitor hanging from an arm over my bed with bluetooth keyboard/mouse). I could then use the laptop elsewhere in the house during the daytime for things like internet browsing, health/care/medication management, writing letters and having zoom meetings. I could also then take my laptop with me to hospital admissions and when having respite care stays in nursing homes (at the age of 33... i need to take entertainment with me!)

Using a docking station - are you connecting to the docking station for power and the connection to the monitor, presumably through a thunderbolt cable (usb-c connection) - it narrows down the selecting of which chassis laptop to go for to those only with Thunderbolt.

When going to hospital are you able to plug in - as unfortunately gaming laptops are not very well known for their battery life.

It doesnt stop you using other laptops though and you would just have to plug monitor straight into them and their charger etc. You can still use bluetooth mouse and keyboard.

SPEC:
* RGB Keyboard - Im going to be honest that the full RGB keyboard is a shallow gimmick that really appeals to me <3 and i particularly like the sound of the 4-zone RGB keyboard that some models boast. I think that means im looking at the Iconico and the Recoil chasis'?

Unfortunately the Recoil and Ionico do not support Thunderbolt - but see above :D

I will look at the Defiance in a moment for you to see what that offers by way of RGB :D

* Processing - Capable of heavy loads in terms of having a lot of windows open at the same time- a bad habit of mine. But i dont have any specific plans to use it for video editing or streaming. I do however have a LOT of photos and music, which is backed up to the cloud, but i would like to have stored locally on one of my drives.

Do you do photo editing or just load the photos up as they are to see them? Memory would be the issue here although 16GB RAM would be sufficient for your gaming needs and streaming and internet etc, you might want to consider 32GB RAM, IF you are processing a lot of photos and 'stitching' them together. what programs do you use for your photos / editing?

(Sorry got to disappear a short time - got a poorly dog here today, but will add more to my questions / answering your other points shortly (or tomorrow sorry)).

Bhuna50

Author Level
* Hard Drives - Atleast 2 drives. SSD is new to me as they were extremely expensive when i was purchasing my old laptop (Samsung Series 5 550P7C) I would love some education on how it works having a boot drive and a storage drive- where do you store the files for gaming? I currently have atleast 500GB of photos and music files, so storage drive would need to be at least 1TB but would welcome advice on how big a drive would be sensible for me going forwards.

Unfortunately, laptop hard drive storage, especially the bigger drives, does add the price up a bit - so if you are already on 500GB and want to have this laptop a while then you might be better having the second drive a 2TB.

You could have two approaches and its really down to how you 'file' things so to speak. I have 2 x 1TB drives myself - on the one drive, I have the Operating system, games and programs - on the other I have my files / photos and music.

some say to have a smaller first drive - say 500gb - for the OS and programs, and put your games on the second drive - perhaps a 1TB or in your case, I would say 2TB as games can take a lot of space, your personal files and photos etc.

Then in either case, you have to think if you need to reinstall windows at all at any point, you only 'lose' data from the first drive - if you go for a 500gb / 2TB set up, that would just be reinstalling your OS and your programs and all your games and save games and personal files and photos and music will still be on the 2TB.

In my case the 1TB x 2, I would lose games, programs and OS from the first one but still have my photos and files :) - I'm happy to downnload the games etc again and if I lose a save game (most are on cloud nowadays anyway) then it doesnt bother me (but your sandboxes that you have spent ages on perfecting the perfect roller coaster or the perfect zoo......well LOL).

* Gaming - i currently am only able to play the sims4 on my Acer desktop, and that struggles. I have all 30 something DLC packs though, plus some CC! I also love other simulation games like cities skylines, 2point hospital, planet coaster and am interested in exploring more of these games, flight sim, minecraft etc, when i have a computer that allows me to! The one game i REALLY want to play is Planet Zoo and i know that this has a higher than average recommended specs than other simulation games, so i want to meet these spec requirements as a minimum, and perhaps a little above if it means that my computer is going to be well future proofed. I do not play AAA high end games. Link to Planet Zoo recommended specs: https://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/planet-zoo/18717

No problem with this - AAA games are not everyones cup of tea and it actually helps open the range of graphics card for you as 1080p gaming is fine for these type games and therefore the likes of a 1650 (on some 15inch laptops) / 2xxx series or any of the 3xxx series GPUs would be absolutely fine.

* Monitor - I'm currently using a very basic 24" Samsung T24H390S LED monitor- it's 1920 x 1080P, 60Htz refresh rate and 15ms response time. I am aware that this is a low spec monitor but would welcome recommendations for an upgrade when funds allow.

For those games, the monitor is probably ok so no rush to upgrade, go for the 3xxx series GPUs though if you are considering upgrading to 1440p / 144hz refresh monitor though in future for gaming.

BUDGET - Initially for my funding application i need to outline a budget. I had come to the conclusion myself that a budget of £1,500 would be appropriate, but i would appreciate some feedback on whether this is grossly over or under estimating for a machine of my needs. Obviously the less i ask for the more likely i am to get it, but there is also no point in asking for £500 for a machine that simply isn't going to meet my needs. I would like a computer that is going to meet my needs for many years, like my previous laptop did.

£1500 is a good base range to work with - I will try to look tomorrow if i get chance in between a project I am in charge of (its getting a bit late now sorry and I have things to do before bed and a sick dog to sort out).

I will look at your Ionico's but you will lose option of docking station I believe with these (I will check spec further) and I would be aiming more for the Defiance to hopefully get something within or around your budget.

Let me know what hard drive set up you would consider?

Bigfoot

Grand Master
If you are considering flight sims, then 32GB of RAM might be better. One thing to consider is that a 17” laptop could be quite a bit heavier than a 15” one. I don’t know if this would be a concern for you with your medical issues.

Bhuna50

Author Level
If you are considering flight sims, then 32GB of RAM might be better. One thing to consider is that a 17” laptop could be quite a bit heavier than a 15” one. I don’t know if this would be a concern for you with your medical issues.

Good spot re flight sim. Was rushing and missed that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk