Please help me configure a laptop!

ArcticMonkey

Bronze Level Poster
im looking for a solid all rounder that will be able to cope with, say video converting whilst downloading and watching hd youtube clips in one go. im not a pc gamer at the moment, but i'd like that option to be open to me in the near future in case i start gaming (same situation goes for video editing). my main use will be watching HD/3D movies,listening to music through internal and external speakers and sufing the net. all in all, i'd like the laptop to manage current needs and possible future need, with it lasting a fare good while and not having to upgrade too soon.

below is a configuration i have come up with, with my budget being no more than £1100.

£1,117.00

Chassis & Display
Vortex Series:17.3" AUO Matte Full HD LED Widescreen (1920x1080) (£85)

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Mobile Processor i7-3610QM (2.30GHz) 6MB

Memory (RAM)
8GB SAMSUNG 1333MHz SODIMM DDR3 MEMORY (2 x 4GB)

Graphics Card
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 670M - 1.5GB DDR5 Video RAM - DirectX® 11

Memory - Hard Disk
120GB INTEL® 330 SERIES SSD, SATA 6 Gb/s (upto 500MB/sR | 450MB/sW)

DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
8x SATA DVD±R/RW/Dual Layer (+ 24x CD-RW)

Memory Card Reader
Internal 9 in 1 Card Reader (MMC/RSMMC/SD: Mini, XC & HC/MS: Pro & Duo)

Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND (£9)

Sound Card
Intel 5.1 Channel High Definition Audio + SPDIF/MIC/Headphone Jack

Bluetooth & Wireless
GIGABIT LAN & WIRELESS INTEL® N130 802.11N (150Mbps) + BLUETOOTH

USB Options
3 x USB 3.0 PORTS + 1 x USB 2.0 PORT AS STANDARD

Firewire
1 X 1394a FIREWIRE PORT

Battery
Vortex Series 8 Cell Lithium Ion Battery (5,200 mAh/76.96WH)

Operating System
NO OPERATING SYSTEM REQUIRED

Keyboard Language
INTEGRATED BACKLIT UK KEYBOARD WITH NUMBER PAD

Webcam
INTEGRATED 2.0 MEGAPIXEL WEBCAM

Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour) (£5)

.....................................................................................................................................

appreciate any answers! thank you :)

Agito

Silver Level Poster
The only change I'd make would be the processor.
i7-3720QM (2.60GHz) is what I'd recommend for a certain level of future proofing.
Otherwise you're good to go imo.

Adli

Enthusiast
The only change I'd make would be the processor.
i7-3720QM (2.60GHz) is what I'd recommend for a certain level of future proofing.
Otherwise you're good to go imo.

he can upgrade the CPU in the future as PCS have an upgrade service planned, so to keep within budget the 3610QM will be fine for now.

Jay5

If you want to future proof it a little more, I'd recommend ditching the SSD and getting the 750gb Scorpio black 750GB. Although the SSD would be noticeably quicker, if you're downloading films, music... And then games and video editing down the line, 120GB wont last long. There is always an option for an external HDD down the line, of course.

Regards,
Jay

ArcticMonkey

Bronze Level Poster
If you want to future proof it a little more, I'd recommend ditching the SSD and getting the 750gb Scorpio black 750GB. Although the SSD would be noticeably quicker, if you're downloading films, music... And then games and video editing down the line, 120GB wont last long. There is always an option for an external HDD down the line, of course.

Regards,
Jay

i'll be using the SSD as the primary drive and installing a HDD as the secondary drive. so, no issues regarding lack of space. would you still recommend me to drop the SSD?

thanks a bunch for your input guys! :)

Jay5

I have never owned a SSD, but I only hear good things about them. If your budget allows for one, keep it. :)
As for the ram, there will be little difference in performance between the two.

Jay.

Agito

Silver Level Poster
No, not really. But the price difference is pretty minuscule so I'd take the 1600mhz. My order that I'm waiting for right now has 16gb of 1600mhz ram. The price difference between the same mount of 1600/1333 RAM was like £10. Since I'm already paying nearly £1.7k, that tenner doesn't really matter that much.