Please help Needing a new graphic card

Steve1965

Hi,
Please can someone advise me what graphic card i can use in my set up, i need a good quality card for video editing, i am using "Adobe After effects" and my on board graphics are useless.

This is my PC Specs:

Product Type : Desktop PC
Product Model : M11AD
Operating system Windows 8.1

SPECIFICATION
Processor Intel® Core™ i3-4150 CPU Processor (3.5 GHz, 3 MB cache)
RAM 6 GB DDR3 (installable RAM)
Graphics: Intel (R) HD Graphics 4400
Storage: 1 x 500GB HDD, 7200 rpm
Motherboard: Bespoke Intel® H81 Motherboard
POWER SUPPLY: 300W

i did contact ASUS for help and they suggested the following cards, but i haven't a clue which one is the best for my needs, if i can use something better for my set up then please let me know your thoughts.

NVIDIA® GeForce GT620 1GB/2GB
NVIDIA® GeForce GT625 2GB
NVIDIA® GeForce GT630 2GB
NVIDIA® GeForce GT640 3GB/4GB
AMD® Radeon HD8350 1GB
AMD® Radeon HD7670 2GB
AMD® Radeon R5 220 1GB
AMD® Radeon R7 240 2GB

Best Regards
Steve

Steve1965

This is what i have inside the pc

FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender (1).jpg
FullSizeRender (2).jpg

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I would assume the one with the most cuda cores and vram but you are very limited due to your psu.

Steve1965

Thanks for the reply, appreciated.
PCU is not a problem as i will update this if I need to?, i just want a good card for video editing,
So now i need a recommendation for a graphics card and a new PSU :)

regards
Steve

Steve1965

How about one of these EVGA GTX 750 Ti 2GB GDDR5 DVI HDMI DisplayPort PCI-E Graphics Card ?

Regards

Last edited:

Androcles

Rising Star
Thanks for the reply, appreciated.
PCU is not a problem as i will update this if I need to?, i just want a good card for video editing,
So now i need a recommendation for a graphics card and a new PSU :)

regards
Steve

Although a video card is important for video editing, in my opinion priority order for resources is as follows:

1. Processor - every stage of the editing process can tax a processor, especially the final rendering process, the faster the processor the better.
2. Hard drive and Memory: Faster hard drives and memory help the process of rendering go quicker, more hard drive space means more can be stored, more memory means things like rendering can be done in bigger chunks, video editing and rendering is one of the few applications where you can never go overkill on RAM.
3. Graphics Card - I put graphics last because quite simply you are using more processing and memory power when editing video.

That Power Supply is way too low powered if you are going to add a graphics card, I'd recommend a 550w minimum, I went cheap and bought a 450w on mine and I regret it now because it barely just runs the graphics card I have and my upgrade options are very limited without buying a new one.

If you upgrade your PSU to at least 550w it practically quadruples your options for graphics cards and you have a much better range to choose from, most of those listed are ok, but they're on the very low end of the market in raw power.

Last edited:

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Hi pal,

As a video editor myself, in all honesty I would just buy a new PC.

A good starting point for an editing rig would be:

CPU: Intel i5
RAM: 8GB
PSU: 650w
GPU: Go for the one you can afford at the time - stick to NVIDIA as they work very well with Adobe. If you don't want to game you might be best looking at their CUDA cards.
HDD: Ones with a speed of 7200RPM are a good idea if you can afford.

You should be able to edit HD on this rig without too much of an issue - however if it's After Effects you are using, you may be best off with an Intel i7 processor. The i3 you have in your current PC simply isn't good enough for HD editing.
8GB of RAM to start with will allow you to add another 8GB at a later point, totaling 16GB.

Steve1965

Thanks for all the replys, appreciated.
Unfortunately a New PC this time of year is not an option for me, i can see were you are coming from relating to the power of the processor, i did run after affects on a quad core machine before without issues, albeit it was over clocked :) the only thing i had to do was close everything down before rendering videos ( and i mean everything lol)

i have ordered these for now until i can purchase or build the rig i need, hopefully these will help a tad.

GEFORCE GTX 750 TI

Corsair CXM 500W Semi Modular 80+ Bronze Power Supply

i will let you know, there being delivered tomorrow.
Best regards

nathanjrb

Prolific Poster
Good luck - you will notice an increase in performance with a 750ti for sure. If you can afford a new processor and motherboard you're pretty much there!

Steve1965

Good luck - you will notice an increase in performance with a 750ti for sure. If you can afford a new processor and motherboard you're pretty much there!

Ok
i had a brain fart when i got up this morning and bit the bullet, These were delivered this morning,

1 x GEFORCE GTX 750 TI
1 x Corsair CXM 500W Semi Modular 80+ Bronze Power Supply

i have now ordered the following.

Intel Core i7-4790K 4.00GHz (Devil's Canyon) Socket LGA1150 Processor - Retail
as this will fit onto my existing motherboard.

and

16GB OF RAM
(Kingston HyperX 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-19200C11 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit - Black/Red (HX24C11BRK2/16-OC)

i think i may need to get a different PSU now.

Titch

Will you need to upgrade the motherboard for this setup?

Will the chip set be able to keep up with the new graphics card and processor? And if not can you upgrade the chip set without replacing the motherboard?

Thanks