Poor standard of service PCS

Hey guys, before you carry on reading I just want to make sure that you do not misinterpret this as a complaint thread. I am NOT here to tread on anyone's toes who has had exceptional service because, from my understanding, there are quite a few of you who have had the service you'd expect to get from a recognized and reputable custom laptop company.

That being said your probably already asking why I am posting this in the "Sales Advice" section, the reason is I feel people should be aware of not only the ups of PCS but quite possibly some of the downs, when you buy from a company you aren't just buying hardware but you are also buying piece of mind, security and company reputation which is why "Sales" was the best place to post this.

I ordered my Vortex III on 07-08-2012 and received the system on 11-08-2012 which was great! Once I had my laptop I noticed the screen had around 5-6 stuck pixels which was kind of disheartening however after a quick call I was told I could have it replaced with no further charge. I proceeded to play a few games however the 7970M drivers weren't quite allowing me to do so. After a few phone calls to PCS they where willing to change the 7970M to the 680M (for a small price) for me as I was still within the 7 day cooling off period meaning it was either that or a refund followed by a re-order. I sent my system off for the RMA on 23-08-2012, then received it on 28-08-2012.

On receiving the system the second time I was intending on doing an un-boxing review for anyone who was thinking of getting the 680M (which is a beast card btw) however I was shocked to find this:

http://i.imgur.com/rIuzK.jpg

The HDD bay was missing screws meaning throughout its journey the HDD had fallen out completely and tore the bag. This was kind of unsettling considering I paid around £1300 and was given a system with missing screws and a potentially dead HDD. Luckily it worked fine and I went on to install my OS.

I hadn't removed any of the screen protectors or anything whilst I was installing the OS just in-case there where any other surprises waiting for me. I noticed the screen looked slightly different so I decided to remove the protector. Surprisingly not only had the screws been left out of the back but the screen wasn't glossy anymore. I knew PCS where changing my screen however I didn't expect the WRONG screen to be the one they replaced it with. Furthermore this matte screen I'm currently using has a DEAD pixel in the bottom left which doesn't bother me all that much. Again I was pretty unimpressed considering the amount I had payed, I at least expected to get the correct screen back. So, there I sat, 2 missing screws and the wrong screen thinking "there can't be ANYTHING else wrong... right?"...

Upon installing 3dmark and a few games I noticed my temps where fairly high. I didn't think much of it until a friend recommended I did a thermal re-paste, I assured him I didn't need to as I had payed for the MX-4 paste to be installed. This thought sat with me for awhile when I then decided to actually have a look under the bonnet and check to see what has been put in there. From a previous phone call one of the technicians mentioned they use a pad as stock thermal paste, which is why I decided to go with the MX-4. Once I had everything out I found this:

http://i.imgur.com/IaTG6.jpg

Now, I have done thermal re-pastes on my desktop numerous times before and NEVER have I been able to get such a precise and angular edge like that. Now, for the benefit of the doubt I emailed this image of to PCS and gave them a quick bell asking whether or not this was the stock (pad) paste or if it was the MX-4. I was told it looked like the MX-4 and nothing had to be done about it. I decided to order the MX-4 and do the paste job myself. Not only was the colour of the paste different, but it lowered my temps by around 6C-10C.

Last edited:
Currently (08-09-2012) after 3 phone call's I am still waiting for the screws to be delivered, it's probably fair measure to mention that when I asked why haven't the screws been sent out yet I was told "they must have just been left on the side", I asked if they could be sent out ASAP and possibly recorded seeing as I needed to move around quite a lot (moving into new house at uni) and wanted them soon seeing as I had already waited about a week, I was told that "my boss would lynch me if I sent a few screws out recorded" which was fair however I did ponder who was going to get the lynching for missing the screws in the first place. Ironically, despite the worry about sending them out recorded, they instead where not sent out at all.

Now all of these issues are things I'd expect if I had maybe payed around £300 however, for a system where I payed an extra Grand on top of that I had kind of hoped I'd be getting the correct things delivered as well as a laptop with all the screws in place. Understandably I could be seen as being quite harsh based on the things I have mentioned however, I'm not really all THAT fussed, I have the wrong screen, I'm missing some screws and had to do a re-paste.

This is more of a message to people looking at sending things back or ordering with PCS that you guys should definitely CHECK everything you can in case something has been missed . I know they "say" to check your order but you REALLY SHOULD check your order.

Hope everyone else's RMA's work out fine and you don't encounter the problems I have as they come across fairly unprofessional.

Kind Regards
Edd

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Sorry to hear that Edd, I hope PCS gets everything sorted for you straight away. Are you planning to get the screen replace?

rickne

Master Poster
Pretty slack mate. Thats a shame but I really want to check mine inside now as I ordered the same paste. I cant say my lappy has been very hot or even warm to be fair. even prolonged battlefield 3 playing.
I too have developed a dead pixel to the right of the screen. This DOES bother me as you know with these things once you notice it , youll never forget its there. No about of rubbing is shifting this thing. let alone flashing. Gutted for you pal.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
gutted to hear about ya issues mate, but here's what I think. I understand that you are a bit annoyed, as we would all be, but looking at it from a different angle.

The first issue, of the screen pixels thing, sounds more like faulty hardware than actually PCS's fault though. Yeah it is brand new, but tech like anything can fail at pretty much anytime.

The second about the wrong screen and missing screws, sounds to me like human error. Yes human error, PCs are just people like the rest of us, and yea sometimes we do make mistakes.

Also it's possible that the screen change may have been a free upgrade, as the non glossy screens cost more. But you will have to check with PCS on that one.

Hey Rubensolo, To be honest I'm not all that fussed. I'm far to busy moving into my new house and with uni work to go with the hassle of sending the screen back and waiting an untold amount of time to get it replaced and to be fair after doing some research I can over look it as an issue. Just seems kind of unprofessional.

Also, Rickne, I'd have to agree that it does bother me that there is still a dead pixel however, as its only the one, PCS wont do anything about it unless I had the dead pixel guarantee plus like I've mentioned above, its just hassle. I'd much have preferred to have the laptop returned to me without these issues as opposed chasing stuff up unfortunately.

rickne

Master Poster
gutted to hear about ya issues mate, but here's what I think. I understand that you are a bit annoyed, as we would all be, but looking at it from a different angle.

The first issue, of the screen pixels thing, sounds more like faulty hardware than actually PCS's fault though. Yeah it is brand new, but tech like anything can fail at pretty much anytime.

The second about the wrong screen and missing screws, sounds to me like human error. Yes human error, PCs are just people like the rest of us, and yea sometimes we do make mistakes.

Also it's possible that the screen change may have been a free upgrade, as the non glossy screens cost more. But you will have to check with PCS on that one.

point 1: True

Point 2 :can happen

Point 3: Yes but not what he asked for and should of been informed.

Not even mentioning the questioning of the thermal paste , I don't know enough about these things to base an opinion however all this to go wrong is pretty disappointing. I understand PCS are busy right now but I sure hope this does not mean units are being rushed through.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
point 1: True

Point 2 :can happen

Point 3: Yes but not what he asked for and should of been informed.

Not even mentioning the questioning of the thermal paste , I don't know enough about these things to base an opinion however all this to go wrong is pretty disappointing. I understand PCS are busy right now but I sure hope this does not mean units are being rushed through.

yeah i forgot to say about the paste, it does look a bit how do you say, crap. I agree with that.

DeadEyeDuk

Superhero Level Poster
Does rather feel rubbish when stuff doesn't work, gutted for you Eddie.

However, is anyone else scared by the first pic that was linked...I mean, it looks like something escaped...its like the start of a slightly rubbish horror/scifi film :D

Hey mate, cheers for the info. I'd have loved it to have been an upgrade, you know, maybe as a way of apologizing or something however it costs the same on the site. I completely understand its human error, just kind of wish there wasn't so many human errors on this one. Currently I've been waiting almost 2 weeks for 2 screws which I have been told on three occasions they would be sent out first class in an envelope which clearly hasn't been done.

Like I say, please don't deem this as a complaint as to be quite honest I'm fairly chilled over it all, it's more of a message to people that they should DEFINITELY check their orders upon delivery just in-case.

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
We are sorry that you have not experienced the high quality service that we strive to provide. I believe that has happened here is that when the graphics card was changed from the HD 7970M to the 680M the thermal paste has not been re-applied. It is a mistake from one of our technicians and we are sorry for this, we will refund the thermal paste cost to you immediately.

As for the HDD brackets - we can only apologise for this, it was a mistake when the chassis was re-built during the RMA process and we will look to improve so that this doesn't happen again.

We are sorry that you have not experienced the high quality service that we strive to provide. I believe that has happened here is that when the graphics card was changed from the HD 7970M to the 680M the thermal paste has not been re-applied. It is a mistake from one of our technicians and we are sorry for this, we will refund the thermal paste cost to you immediately.

As for the HDD brackets - we can only apologise for this, it was a mistake when the chassis was re-built during the RMA process and we will look to improve so that this doesn't happen again.

Thank you for the acknowledgement and support, I do hope I receive the screws fairly soon as this issues is now beginning to reach the 2 weeks mark which quite frankly still remains poor in my eyes. My only concern is as to why I was told by phone support that the thermal paste WAS in fact MX-4? I don't mean to pester but surely you can understand from my perspective it did seem as though I was being palmed off with a simple reply to prevent any further hassle. I don't mean to come across unreasonable however it seems that unless something is stated in the eyes of the public certain issue may not be resolved.

With regards to the refund, would you be able to give me an estimate as to when to expect this in my account?

I do hope you continue to give proper support and service but unfortunately I do feel I have lost faith in PCS.

Last edited:

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
The refund for the thermal paste will be processed today so it will be in your account in the next few days. The screws have been dispatched today.

The refund for the thermal paste will be processed today so it will be in your account in the next few days. The screws have been dispatched today.

Hey, I don't mean to pester however I still have not received these screws. I had some post sent out to me the exact same date as you said the screws had been dispatched which I had received today however there is still no sign of the screws. Could you please PM me as to what address your sending them out to and as to what postage class you are using? Cheers

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
2 lots of these have now been dispatched to you, one lot on 29th August to no. 71 (Birmingham), and one lot on 6th September to no. 2, (Brighton). Both were sent by Royal Mail.

If you do not receive these in the next few days please call us.